Workout Plans

Options
scherrera01
scherrera01 Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Where or how did you find your workout plans? How do you know which one is best for you?

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You don't mention if you've ever lifted before. Do you belong to a gym or do you have equipment at home? If you've never done it I would highly recommend a personal trainer. If you already know some basics go to magazine website or just google it. There are so many option/programs out there that there is no right answer. I typically go for the larger muscles and do some basic moves like squats, bench press and rowing and mix in a few others. I know I worked out hard enough if I'm a bit sore the next day. I was lifting 3 times a week and that worked for me. I never did the same routine. Keep mixing it up to see progress. Everyone is different and you just need to start and do something!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    edit fail.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lurked here for a long time and noticed that all the women with the body type I was striving for all lifted heavy weights. I took notes on what programs everyone was doing, researched which would be the best for me, a total beginner to lifting, and started. I didn't know if it would be the best thing for me until I tried and it really was the best thing for me. I enjoy lifting. I did not enjoy most exercise I had done up to that point, which was why it was so hard to stick with anything.

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since 2012 and have tried all sorts, it's just giving things a try that shows if something is for you. I've just started All Pro's today http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473 I'm still classed as a beginner because my strength isn't all that great due to not sticking to anything long enough to make progress. Obviously I'm hoping this time will be different. That's my advice by the way, find something you'll stick to and record your progress.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Where or how did you find your workout plans? How do you know which one is best for you?

I don't really do any plans. I just know that I need to work on strength, cardio and flexibility (I'm older). So I look for those components & trade off/ mix & match days.

The best workouts for me are the ones that I enjoy doing. It sounds kind of lame, but I know that unless I enjoy my workouts, I will make excuses to skip it. Plus, exercise will also help me during maintenance. I want to keep it up even after I get to goal.

I agree with BebeisFit - just start. You will figure things out as you go. Tons of videos on YouTube: Fitness Blender, Jessica Smith TV, BeFit, etc.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I joined a medically oriented gym and they do an evaluation with you, and I told the trainer what I wanted to work on - core strength, leg strength and keep my arms strong. He developed a work out plan for me and every 3 months he has added things to it.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to www.bodybuilding.com and researched a ton of programs on there before I narrowed one down and found workouts I would actually consistently do. Like others have said, you just have to experiment until you find what works for you.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I looked a program that had lots of success and started it. We modified a few things that fit us better but stuck with the basics of lifting heavy, mostly compound lifts, etc.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have no specific plan. I do cardio 4 days a week and I lift 5 days a week working one muscle group per day and alternating abs and legs.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Decided on what I wanted to do with my body - such as look a certain way, or perform a certain sport.

Then I looked at how high-achieving people who had accomplished what I want to do, trained.

Then I looked at how best to apply that training to someone like myself, a beginner.

For me, the answer was a 5x5 powerlifting routine, plenty of cardio, and proper diet for building good looks and a solid foundation of general athleticism.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

When I first started lifting Oxygen magazine was my bible! Lol. The models that used to be on the covers were the aesthetic I admired. I was also lucky enough to belong to a gym where they taught a class with weights but it was not bodypump style, it was more traditional and it was at a women's only gym so I felt zero intimation walking around with my notebook and trying things in the weight area. Along with that came reading other magazines, blogs, and bodybuidling.com, etc., which I still do for fresh ideas.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great post as I am also looking to go from casual lifter to serious.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

When I first started lifting Oxygen magazine was my bible! Lol. The models that used to be on the covers were the aesthetic I admired. I was also lucky enough to belong to a gym where they taught a class with weights but it was not bodypump style, it was more traditional and it was at a women's only gym so I felt zero intimation walking around with my notebook and trying things in the weight area. Along with that came reading other magazines, blogs, and bodybuidling.com, etc., which I still do for fresh ideas.

You've come an incredibly long way since then. You look amazing. May I ask if that was back in 2013 (per one of your before pics....not that I was creeping your profile or anything....) or did you start lifting before that?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    VegasFit wrote: »

You've come an incredibly long way since then. You look amazing. May I ask if that was back in 2013 (per one of your before pics....not that I was creeping your profile or anything....) or did you start lifting before that?

Thanks @DavPul ! Actually lifting really peaked my interest starting 2007, 2008, and then life got in the way (2011-2013) and I fell off the wagon especially nutrition-wise so when I cleaned that back up the rest fell back into place. I guess muscle memory is a thing! Lol.