I feel like Im starving. Can someone help me out with my calorie stats ?

Options
Im 5 feet 1 inch tall
38 years old
203 lbs
I want to lose 60 lbs (1.5 lbs per week weight loss goal)

I walk 10,000 steps per day on average.. Sometimes only 7000 but other days 13000. I do excercise cardio 2-3 x per week for 30 minutes and basic weight train with dumbells (10lb) like squats and lunges. (Maybe this is sedentary maybe its considered lightly active)

I was trying to eat 1350 calories but am starving... I have seen some in similar persons eating upwards of 2000 calories and still losing..

Dont get me wrong, I am losing... I started February 8th at 215.00 so BYE BYE 12 lbs in 5 weeks....
but the first 3 weeks was my big losses and the last 2 weeks have been .5 of a lb only.

Can someone help me with how many calories i should be eating per day ??

Kim

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's more than two pounds a week. So I think you can safely add 100 calories a day so you aren't feeling like you are starving. Try adding 100 calories a day to your intake and see if you continue to lose weight. Trial and error, experimentation is what will help you change your strategy for long term success.

Are you getting much fat in your diet? You have to measure carefully, but fat can help with satiety.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1 and 38 and eat around 1500.

are you eating back some of your exercise calories? making sure you get enough protein and fat?

and weight loss is ALWAYS faster at the beginning because you lose a lot in water weight right off the bat.

blnscifxrwtt.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Im 5 feet 1 inch tall
    38 years old
    203 lbs

I walk 10,000 steps per day on average.. Sometimes only 7000 but other days 13000. I do excercise cardio 2-3 x per week for 30 minutes and basic weight train with dumbells (10lb) like squats and lunges. (Maybe this is sedentary maybe its considered lightly active)

I was trying to eat 1350 calories but am starving... I have seen some in similar persons eating upwards of 2000 calories and still losing..

Dont get me wrong, I am losing... I started February 8th at 215.00 so BYE BYE 12 lbs in 5 weeks....
    but the first 3 weeks was my big losses and the last 2 weeks have been .5 of a lb only.

Kim

You're averaging nearly a pound a week. That's fantastic progress by any standard and I would say you're nailing your calorie goals. Perhaps look at the types of food you're eating. Lean proteins and some fat does help you feel sated during the day. You could try snacking on some filling things that aren't heavy on the calories too. I like those baby carrots in flavored Greek yogurt that I added a packet of ranch mix into. Plain popcorn is good and of course any zero or low calorie drinks will help you feel like you're eating more without piling on calories.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Do you currently eat back some of your exercise calories? You might probably still lose at 1500 without exercise added.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Since you have your diary set to private, it's hard to say. I would suggest having a look at your protein and fat intake which will help you to feel fuller for longer.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    So I think you can safely add 100 calories a day so you aren't feeling like you are starving.

I agree. 100 calories more helped me with the hunger.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First off - weight loss won't be linear. The 1/2 pound you saw could be any number of things - water weight (sore muscles, high sodium, TOM). This could easily be normal fluctuation.

10,000 steps a day is above sedentary. MFP counts workouts separately. If you bump up your activity level you will get more calories. If you log your workouts, you will get more calories.....BUT exercise calories are generous. Just eat back 50-75%.

Protein, fat and fiber are satiating - in different combinations, for different people. You may need to tweak your meals and snacks a bit. Play around with timing.

Make sure you are drinking enough water. You could be thirsty instead.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating back some (not all) of your exercise calories?

Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes when you think you're hungry you're actually thirsty.

You might also want to try eating smaller meals more frequently.

I am at 1350 myself and it's rough for us short girls! :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    That's more than two pounds a week. So I think you can safely add 100 calories a day so you aren't feeling like you are starving. Try adding 100 calories a day to your intake and see if you continue to lose weight. Trial and error, experimentation is what will help you change your strategy for long term success.

Are you getting much fat in your diet? You have to measure carefully, but fat can help with satiety.

Ha! I misread that as 15 weeks and thought it was perfect. Yeah, 2 lbs a week is a bit much IMO. Up your calories from 200 - 500 calories a day. Don't forget to recalculate it after every 5 lbs. that you lose. The smaller you are the fewer calories you need.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Im 5 feet 1 inch tall
    38 years old
    203 lbs

Kim

Scooby's gives you 1805 for lightly active. Scooby's includes exercise, so you don't log workouts. Scooby's is set at 20% calorie reduction....not sure if this lines up with 1.5 pounds a week though.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    Is the 1350 set from MyFitnessPal? If so, what activity level did you use? With the steps you take you are at least lightly active, and that is probably lower than your actual activity level. Also the extra exercise (cardio and the rest) calories should be added to your daily goal.

Since you are feeling hunger there are a few possible causes. 1) You simply need to adjust to eating less. I know it sucks, but if you want to take the fat off and keep it off you will have to learn how to be content with less. 2) You may be eating the wrong mix of Carbs, Protein, and Fat. Generally Carbs will not keep most people feeling full unless they have lots of fiber, even then protein and fat generally, although not always, will help. If you are not eating a good amount of protein and fat look for ways to increase it within your calorie goal. 3) Your calorie goal may be too low for you activity level and exercise activity. Since you have been losing slowly other than at the start, this may not be the issue as you could be eating more than you think if you are not measuring carefully. It does not take much to almost double the calories eating as you can see in the following video.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • KSnow78
    KSnow78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is the 1350 set from MyFitnessPal? If so, what activity level did you use? With the steps you take you are at least lightly active, and that is probably lower than your actual activity level. Also the extra exercise (cardio and the rest) calories should be added to your daily goal.

Since you are feeling hunger there are a few possible causes. 1) You simply need to adjust to eating less. I know it sucks, but if you want to take the fat off and keep it off you will have to learn how to be content with less. 2) You may be eating the wrong mix of Carbs, Protein, and Fat. Generally Carbs will not keep most people feeling full unless they have lots of fiber, even then protein and fat generally, although not always, will help. If you are not eating a good amount of protein and fat look for ways to increase it within your calorie goal. 3) Your calorie goal may be too low for you activity level and exercise activity. Since you have been losing slowly other than at the start, this may not be the issue as you could be eating more than you think if you are not measuring carefully. It does not take much to almost double the calories eating as you can see in the following video.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

This is a great video !! Thanks everyone for your assistance. I dont eat back my exercise calories because 90% of them are just steps that I take everyday that fitbit syncs over... However I have changed my sedentary to lightly active. I will aim for ensuring I am measuring more accurately, eating about 200 calories more and when I exercise other than steps, I will eat half of them back. Ive changed my diary to be visible to all. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to inbox me :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Once I started walking at least 10k a day, I switched my activity level to lightly active, instead of sedentary. The difference in daily calories has been a life saver.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    Hopefully that will help. Again, part of the trick is finding the foods that keep you full. For me oats, even steel cut oats don't do it, but a protein shake made with some cocoa and PB2 for breakfast keeps me full all morning. For others it is the opposite. If you eat a meal and feel hungry soon afterward look at the breakdown of Carbs, Protein, Fat, and Fiber to see what it looks like compared to meals that do keep you full.