Do you need to eat all your exercise calories?

Options
Hello-
Just wondering if you need to eat back any calories you burned during exercise?

It can be hard because many times I exercise at 8pm and eating after that doesn't feel good. I can plan ahead a little, but sometimes I don't do exactly what I had planned on doing.

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    This question is going to stir up an argument; if you search the forums, you will see this has many people asking the same question. It really is personal preference. Some people say you must, others say not to.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Agreed, it's really up to you, I personally do not because it makes me feel like I had no work out at all.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    There are different schools of thought on this. So my advice is to pay attention to how you're feeling. If you find yourself getting run down and/or stalling in your weight loss, start eating more. If you want to eat your exercise calories and you know you're going to work out that day, just add some more calories to your earlier meals. Or, if you find that your burns are really inconsistent, you can start tacking your exercise calories onto the next day (so if you burn 300 tonight, eat 300 extra tomorrow, etc.).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello-
    Just wondering if you need to eat back any calories you burned during exercise?

It can be hard because many times I exercise at 8pm and eating after that doesn't feel good. I can plan ahead a little, but sometimes I don't do exactly what I had planned on doing.

The less you have to lose the more important it is to eat them. This ensures your caloric deficit is not to large to where your body will burn muscle instead of fat. Since you only have 14lbs to go your weekly loss goal should be 0.5lbs/week and to make sure you eat back what you burn or you risk burning a high % of lean muscle, which will slow your metabolism down.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Agreed, it's really up to you, I personally do not because it makes me feel like I had no work out at all.

Yes, but you are in a caloric deficit to lose your goal amount of weight before your workout. So eating MFP calories would be like working out but eating maintenance calories. Eating 1800 and burning 400, is the same as eating 1400 and not working out. as 1400-0 = 1800-400
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have today because I was starving after swimming, kept it healthy though, instead of half a can of tuna I usually have on my jacket potato I had a full one! I don't always though eat them all back, but if you feel hungry eat, if you don't - don't! Go with what your body tells you I think. :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options
    I have today because I was starving after swimming, kept it healthy though, instead of half a can of tuna I usually have on my jacket potato I had a full one! I don't always though eat them all back, but if you feel hungry eat, if you don't - don't! Go with what your body tells you I think. :smile:

Hunger is not the best, or even a very good, indication of nutritional requirements. You can feel full on low calorie foods (and not be getting enough fuel), or hungry on high calorie foods (and already have more fuel than you need)
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    I think that all depends on your preference, the quality of food you eat and your net-BMR. Most experts that I've researched on this will tell you that you shouldn't go under net-1200 calories eaten per day. So to break that down...

My current calorie goal is 2140 per day (I'm 330 pounds and 6'5" so it's a tad higher than most people).

If I eat all 2140 calories, then go for a 6 mile run (which is an approximately 1400 calorie burn for my size), I'll subtract those calories and that brings my net calorie intake for the day back down to 740. And so if I listen to common knowledge on this, then I should eat another 500 cals to get above 1200. Anything less is unhealthy.

So I only eat enough calories after exercise to stay above 1200. Hope that helps!
  • MellowYellowGem
    Options

Hunger is not the best, or even a very good, indication of nutritional requirements. You can feel full on low calorie foods (and not be getting enough fuel), or hungry on high calorie foods (and already have more fuel than you need)

Being on here though I am eating a balanced set of meals with plenty of water, so it works for me!
  • msmonique0919
    Options
    It depends on how much you have accumulated. Sometimes, we burn so many calories until we can send our bodies into starvation mode if we do not give it additional fuel. In fact, I've done this and saw where MFP will send you a warning notice at the bottom of your diary when you complete your logging for the day. A friend of mine was burning over 1,000 calories per day and was not losing weight, simply because she was already under her regular calories and then had 1,000 more on top of that. So, even if you do not want to eat, have a protein drink, popcorn, a piece of fruit if you are burning alot of calories, not necessarily a whole meal.
  • Kalbright79
    Options
    I think that all depends on your preference, the quality of food you eat and your net-BMR. Most experts that I've researched on this will tell you that you shouldn't go under net-1200 calories eaten per day. So to break that down...

My current calorie goal is 2140 per day (I'm 330 pounds and 6'5" so it's a tad higher than most people).

If I eat all 2140 calories, then go for a 6 mile run (which is an approximately 1400 calorie burn for my size), I'll subtract those calories and that brings my net calorie intake for the day back down to 740. And so if I listen to common knowledge on this, then I should eat another 500 cals to get above 1200. Anything less is unhealthy.

So I only eat enough calories after exercise to stay above 1200. Hope that helps!

Thanks for that advice! It sure helped me if nothing else! :)
  • princessleiannie
    Options
    Well, I have been stalled on Weight Watchers for quite some time, so I thought maybe that is my problem- "Not Eating Enough" since I do exercise regularly. I have an exercise bike and do between 30-60 minutes on it 4-5 times a week. I like to ride when a show is on, so that is why it is later in the evening.

What are some good foods to eat after a workout to fill up those calories/carbs?
  • MellowYellowGem
    Options
    Nuts are quite good, quite high in calories though so you don't need too many. :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options

Just an FYI: 1200 net is a minimum for women, for men it is more like 1500 or 1600.
  • princessleiannie
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I have learned on MFP that I'm way overdoing it on Sodium too. So need to fix that.