3pm snackish cravings

Options
Any advice on what to do around that 3pm snackish craving time. This is usually when I have a coffee and crave for something sweet n' salty. I've given up bread and sugar so I'm looking for healthy snack ideas around this time. Thanks in advance xo

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I get the 12pm cravings (I have a rather late lunch, so afternoon is fine), usually I make sure to drink a glass of tea (I keep a 16oz glass at my desk), and wait, if that doesn't help I have a cheese stick, or maybe a small side salad (with low cal dressing). Less calories than the nature's valley bars I have in reserve in my desk. A lot of people like nuts, but I'm not a huge fan on them (ok cashews and macademia, cause I like the expensive ones). Fats tend to help me feel fuller, for some it's fiber, for some it's dehydration, and for others it's boredom hunger. Or too much MFP and thinking of food. :smiley:
  • 75poundgoal
    75poundgoal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Mid afternoon munchies are a struggle. I try to keep almonds on hand to take the edge off. I know that isnt sweet and salty but it tends to work for me. Ive also started keeping muscle milk 100 calorie shakes in the fridge in case I just need something.
  • sabrina_dolce
    sabrina_dolce Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    maybe I'll try snacking on some nuts.
    I'm not a fan of processed cheese
    I don't usually drink too much coffee. My morning coffee is a MUST but I usually like a second one either around mid day or evening. Maybe i should switch it up to a green tea lol
  • sabrina_dolce
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Mid afternoon munchies are a struggle. I try to keep almonds on hand to take the edge off. I know that isnt sweet and salty but it tends to work for me. Ive also started keeping muscle milk 100 calorie shakes in the fridge in case I just need something.

That's a good idea. I have unsalted (raw) almonds and cashews on hand thanks !
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Trail mix with nuts and raisins. Today I packed cottage cheese with diced apple, cinnamon and vanilla. My usual is a PB & B - peanut butter and banana on a slice of rye but maybe just peanut butter and banana for you.
  • sabrina_dolce
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Trail mix with nuts and raisins. Today I packed cottage cheese with diced apple, cinnamon and vanilla. My usual is a PB & B - peanut butter and banana on a slice of rye but maybe just peanut butter and banana for you.

Mmm sounds good. I usually have apples/bananas/PB on hand
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of fruit. The citric acid gives an extra satisfying effect. A bit later I have a Weight Watchers chocolate bar. Another snack that is filling and satisfying is a piece of bread with a little butter and a whole peeled raw carrot. Add a spoonful of cottage cheese to really fill you. The different textures and flavors go really well and you end up feeling good.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Maybe adjust your calories from other meals to give yourself 100-200 calories around then. You can then snack on whatever you want that fits in that calorie goal without worrying about going over later.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas are my go-to, because I don't care for nuts. They're just sweet enough that it doesn't feel like a veggies, but they are crunchy. Tons of Vitamin C, and good on iron and fiber as well. I buy a large pack of them at Sam's, and carry them as a planned snack in my lunch kit.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes to the nuts! I have mine measured out in pre-packaged serving sizes and ready to go. I also usually have a serving size of greek yogurt or cottage cheese and I'll add cut up fruits on the side (whatever is cheap and in season - this week grapes are on sale).

If I need a slightly larger snack (still accomplished with less than 300 calories) I'll do a half-assed guacamole (smashed half avocado squeeze of lime juice a dash of S&P (sometimes garlic salt) and then 2-3 tablespoons of black beans on a piece of whole wheat toast with some hot sauce added. If you're not eating bread maybe you can put them on pepper slices or on a bed of spinach. I've found that if I put spinach where my breads used to go it helps me to hit my 4-5 servings of vegetables everyday.
    Good luck!
  • sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit yogurts are only 80 calories and come in a bunch of great flavors! A Quest bar or similar protein bar could probably carry you through until dinnertime, if you have the calorie room for it. Best of luck!!!
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get the 3 pm give me energy munchies, too. It's the hardest part of the day for me to be strict. I recently bought some Kashi crunchy chocolate chia bars. They come in a pack of two but I eat one with my coffee and save the other for later. They are yummy! Sometimes I have nuts with a few mini chocolate chips thrown in for the sweet/salty cravings :)
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, fruit or a cup of chai tea does the trick for me.