How far is too far to walk to work?

Options
13»

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Too far imo. Anything more than an hour to walk is too far.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine works shifts at a hotel and she walks there whenever it's not pouring down with rain or snowing heavily. That's how she gets in something like 30.000 steps most days.

I personally wouldn't do it. I carry a very heavy workbag and the only showers are the shared ones in the school gym. School starts at 8. No way I'd be willing to walk as far and long as that every day. It doesn't apply to me though since my way to work is about 35km. I used to walk when it was only 3km.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    7.8 km is not quite 5 miles. So, to be safe and because I don't imagine you'd want to get to work all sweaty that'd be, say, 100 min (20 min/mi is a nice slow stroll). But, you do have to factor in waiting for street lights, etc.

It'd be too far for me if I didn't want to run or cycle it. Too much time out of my day, especially both ways.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For those who think it's too far....
    This man was 56 years old and walking to work for years.
    Bottom line? Time, will and determination. Anything is possible if you want something bad enough!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/us/detroit-man-walks-21-miles-for-daily-commute/
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    For those who think it's too far....
    This man was 56 years old and walking to work for years.
    Bottom line? Time, will and determination. Anything is possible if you want something bad enough!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/03/us/detroit-man-walks-21-miles-for-daily-commute/

Yes, and he did it because his car broke down and he needed to get to his job. OP is considering it to get some more walking in. BIG difference.

• freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't want my working day to be that long. Walking for two hours before work, getting changed going to work, then coming home getting changed and walking for two hours is a lot different mentally then adding two hours to you working day. But that's just me :smile:
  • danielasaur
    danielasaur Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP here! Today I went to work directly by metro, but on the way back I walked 5.4km of the way! My metro route does kind of a U over water/highways so I cut out the trickier parts of the walk by walking to the last convenient metro stop, getting on for four of my nine stops, and then I got off early and walked the last 3.4km home! I listened to a podcast (and a half) the entire time, so it went by pretty fast, but the whole thing took about an hour and a half! It was a little cold and rainy today, but overall very enjoyable!! Will definitely do again!! :grin:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP here! Today I went to work directly by metro, but on the way back I walked 5.4km of the way! My metro route does kind of a U over water/highways so I cut out the trickier parts of the walk by walking to the last convenient metro stop, getting on for four of my nine stops, and then I got off early and walked the last 3.4km home! I listened to a podcast (and a half) the entire time, so it went by pretty fast, but the whole thing took about an hour and a half! It was a little cold and rainy today, but overall very enjoyable!! Will definitely do again!! :grin:

Excellent! Thanks for the update!

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    When we moved to Europe we chose where to live based on my resolve to walk to after years of either a driving or bus commute. Since Augus 2013 I have been walking 6 kms to work every morning. It now takes me just over one hour. I am much fast than now than when I began. In the summer I will sometimes walk both to and from. If I am pressed for time I can drive halfway, park the car and then walk. I love it. You just need the right weather gear, I even use trekking poles in the winter when it is slippery out.
  • danielasaur
    danielasaur Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP HERE AGAIN!! I DID IT! After my rousing success with skipping stops on Monday, I decided to try walking home today; as expected it took about 2 hours, and the extra couple of kilometers added from Monday were KILLER, but despite how sore my legs are, I'm PUMPED! Never thought I could, let alone WOULD, do it! Great day for motivation!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Perfect little biking distance. :-)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP HERE AGAIN!! I DID IT! After my rousing success with skipping stops on Monday, I decided to try walking home today; as expected it took about 2 hours, and the extra couple of kilometers added from Monday were KILLER, but despite how sore my legs are, I'm PUMPED! Never thought I could, let alone WOULD, do it! Great day for motivation!

SUPERB! Isn't it a great feeling to have accomplished something you never thought you could!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,947 Member
    Options
    I used to live 6.7 km from work, one way.

Occasionally I would walk home ... I'd take the bus there, and then walk home. And that was OK. I don't think I'd want to walk much further than that.

Much more often I'd ride my bicycle both ways ... in fact, I'd cycle approximately 80% of the time.

If I lived 7.8 km from work, and especially if the route was relatively flat, I'd definitely be cycling. Sadly, I live a very hilly 17 km from work ... so bus it is, but I do try to get off early, if the bus is running on time, and walk some distance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,947 Member
    Options

:mrgreen:

Good for you!! :)

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If I could walk everywhere without getting sweaty and late I would! But I agree, it does seem a bit too far. I like the biking idea, but there's no bike lane where I'm from and i can only bike around the village without the chances of getting run over haha
    What I do is skip the commute from my campus to the train station and walk. It's a 30min walk and does fine w me!