Not getting enough calories

Options

Replies

• BreefitnessBreef88
    BreefitnessBreef88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    without being able to see your diary, I will say you most likely are eating more than you realize. If you are not weighing EVERYTHING on a SCALE if it is a solid or a measuring cup if liquid, you can not be sure of how much you are eating.
    It won't show my diary, it says because I'm not reaching my Calories needed. Most days are like today. I ate 2 bananas and will have a salad with hopefully some meat for supper.
    It won't enter your diary for the day with a little entry like "briannabell88 completed her diary for the day" nor will it give you a "if you ate like this for five weeks" prediction, but the diary still is saved and exists. The reason we can't see it is because you don't have a public option enabled.

Oh I'm sorry I'm not sure how to enable that. I'm still quite new to this site and am not very tech friendly lol
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and advice I really appreciate it :)
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    without being able to see your diary, I will say you most likely are eating more than you realize. If you are not weighing EVERYTHING on a SCALE if it is a solid or a measuring cup if liquid, you can not be sure of how much you are eating.
    It won't show my diary, it says because I'm not reaching my Calories needed. Most days are like today. I ate 2 bananas and will have a salad with hopefully some meat for supper.
    It won't enter your diary for the day with a little entry like "briannabell88 completed her diary for the day" nor will it give you a "if you ate like this for five weeks" prediction, but the diary still is saved and exists. The reason we can't see it is because you don't have a public option enabled.

Oh I'm sorry I'm not sure how to enable that. I'm still quite new to this site and am not very tech friendly lol
    I figured it out . It's open to the public now :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yes, prelog your food, find some more calorie dense foods like beef, chicken, whey protein, etc.

I will definitely be getting whey when I can. It's hard for me to eat meat except for seafood. as I was a raw foodist for a few years. I ate 2 bananas today and am full. But I will try to eat some meat for supper.

If you are truly full for the day after two bananas, you might want to see a doctor to make sure there is nothing physically wrong, and then a dietitian to determine your dietary needs. Eating too little will not stall weight loss, but it will cause many other health problems. A basic calorie and macro level is required for your body to function properly.
    I should mention I am taking diet pills. 2 to 4 pills of Hydroxy cut in the mornings. And 2 pills of carcinia cambogia before each time I eat.

Taking that stuff while drastically under-eating is dangerous. It's pretty useless, but often contains a lot of caffeine.

I'm going to ask this question and you don't even have to answer it here, just think about it: Is it possible you have developed a disordered view of food? I don't mean to offend or over-step, but I think it's worth bringing it up.

My suggestion would be: Stop taking the supplements. Start logging everything you eat and try to get as close to 1,200 calories as possible. And consider making a doctor's appointment to make sure there aren't physical reasons why you can't eat more food.

Please take care of yourself, and best of luck.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    Yes, prelog your food, find some more calorie dense foods like beef, chicken, whey protein, etc.

I will definitely be getting whey when I can. It's hard for me to eat meat except for seafood. as I was a raw foodist for a few years. I ate 2 bananas today and am full. But I will try to eat some meat for supper.

If you are truly full for the day after two bananas, you might want to see a doctor to make sure there is nothing physically wrong, and then a dietitian to determine your dietary needs. Eating too little will not stall weight loss, but it will cause many other health problems. A basic calorie and macro level is required for your body to function properly.
    I should mention I am taking diet pills. 2 to 4 pills of Hydroxy cut in the mornings. And 2 pills of carcinia cambogia before each time I eat.

Taking that stuff while drastically under-eating is dangerous. It's pretty useless, but often contains a lot of caffeine.

I'm going to ask this question and you don't even have to answer it here, just think about it: Is it possible you have developed a disordered view of food? I don't mean to offend or over-step, but I think it's worth bringing it up.

My suggestion would be: Stop taking the supplements. Start logging everything you eat and try to get as close to 1,200 calories as possible. And consider making a doctor's appointment to make sure there aren't physical reasons why you can't eat more food.

I take the pills because it gives me the energy I need to workout 1 to 3 hrs a day 5 to 7 days a week.
    I don't mind talking about a possible warped view on food. That's why I joined here to learn how to eat healthy and be healthy. I had a past with bulimia and anorexia. I gained 70 pounds the past 2 years when trying to eat normally, but since I didn't know what was normal I packed on the Pounds. Which is another reason why I'm here, to lose that 70 pounds, 10 I've already lost.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I take the pills because it gives me the energy I need to workout 1 to 3 hrs a day 5 to 7 days a week.
    I don't mind talking about a possible warped view on food. That's why I joined here to learn how to eat healthy and be healthy. I had a past with bulimia and anorexia. I gained 70 pounds the past 2 years when trying to eat normally, but since I didn't know what was normal I packed on the Pounds. Which is another reason why I'm here, to lose that 70 pounds, 10 I've already lost.

Okay, some people can take the question as an insult even though it's not meant that way, so I wanted to tip-toe :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you eat very little and are full, how did you get in the position to need to lose weight? You had to be eating more to gain weight. What/how were you eating before you came to MFP?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fuel your exercise with food, not boosters. Otherwise you are heading down that disordered path again. If need be, see your cheese and crackers as energy pills before you exercise.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    If you eat very little and are full, how did you get in the position to need to lose weight? You had to be eating more to gain weight. What/how were you eating before you came to MFP?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Well the last 2 years I ate whatever I wanted and never worked out. That's how I gained. But the past 3 or 4 weeks I decided to get my stuff together. I started working out. Started a change in my diet. Started diet pills to curb my hunger and also give me energy. I lost 10 pounds 3 or 4 weeks ago before joining mfp. Now I'm at a standstill. I do alot of strength training so I'm hoping it's just muscle I'm gaining because I do look slimmer and more toned.
    I am 5'7" and I weigh 217. Altho the scale has been going up the past 2 days due to all the sodium I had on the weekend.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're overdoing the workouts? I do triathlon training and I workout only 30 to 90 min a day. It feels to me like you might be a bit to agressive with the loss, which could be tough to sustain over the long term.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    Is it possible you're overdoing the workouts? I do triathlon training and I workout only 30 to 90 min a day. It feels to me like you might be a bit to agressive with the loss, which could be tough to sustain over the long term.
    If I workout less than 1 hr a day and don't lose .5 in sweat I feel like a failure. I want this weight gone asap. I probably am overdoing it, but I figured I would only do that for the 1st month to get the scale moving down. Then I wanted to only do 1 hr a day 5 days a week, both cardio and weights.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know you really want to lose this weight, but you're really going about it an unhealthy manner that's only going to damage your entire body. :(

Stop taking the diet pills.
    Eat a healthy, well balanced diet, consisting of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and proteins like meat, beans, or fish. A website like choosemyplate.com can help you see what a healthy meal should look like.
    Two bananas might make you feel full, but there's no protein there and very limited vitamins.
    Overdoing it with your workouts will only break down your body and injure you, especially on what amounts to barely enough food to fuel a five year old. Tune it down- Weights three times a week, with a rest day in between, cardio three times a week. Protecting your body and being kind to yourself isn't failure! It's treating your body like the strong healthy body that it wants to be.
    I hope you're able to hear what everyone here is saying and don't get discouraged. You can lose the weight, but how you're trying to do it now won't help you.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If I workout less than 1 hr a day and don't lose .5 in sweat I feel like a failure. I want this weight gone asap. I probably am overdoing it, but I figured I would only do that for the 1st month to get the scale moving down. Then I wanted to only do 1 hr a day 5 days a week, both cardio and weights.

There's no probably about it; you are overdoing it, especially with your history of eating disorders. When was the last time you checked in with your treatment team?
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know you really want to lose this weight, but you're really going about it an unhealthy manner that's only going to damage your entire body. :(

Stop taking the diet pills.
    Eat a healthy, well balanced diet, consisting of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and proteins like meat, beans, or fish. A website like choosemyplate.com can help you see what a healthy meal should look like.
    Two bananas might make you feel full, but there's no protein there and very limited vitamins.
    Overdoing it with your workouts will only break down your body and injure you, especially on what amounts to barely enough food to fuel a five year old. Tune it down- Weights three times a week, with a rest day in between, cardio three times a week. Protecting your body and being kind to yourself isn't failure! It's treating your body like the strong healthy body that it wants to be.
    I hope you're able to hear what everyone here is saying and don't get discouraged. You can lose the weight, but how you're trying to do it now won't help you.
    Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely check out that website.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options

There's no probably about it; you are overdoing it, especially with your history of eating disorders. When was the last time you checked in with your treatment team?

I'm only overdoing it for the first month, which is almost done. Then it's down to 5 hrs a week of workouts, isn't that a healthy goal? I don't have a treatment team.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you don't have much energy as you're not giving your body the required energy it needs. Those pills are dangerous underestimate or not. Trust me, I've been there, and the consequences of doing both last for years. Those pills are doing more harm than good, not only to your stomach, but to your heart, too. No energy tells me that you're not getting the nutrients that your body desperately requires, such as iron, b vitamins at least.

Honestly, get a food scale, weigh all solid and semi solid foods, eat at least 1200 and trust the process. It truly works..
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

I'm only overdoing it for the first month, which is almost done. Then it's down to 5 hrs a week of workouts, isn't that a healthy goal? I don't have a treatment team.

The severe calorie restriction + diet pills + over-exercise are all symptoms of a real problem. Stop taking the pills, back off on the exercise, and consider the idea that it's time to find a counselor, or a dietician, or both.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options

The severe calorie restriction + diet pills + over-exercise are all symptoms of a real problem. Stop taking the pills, back off on the exercise, and consider the idea that it's time to find a counselor, or a dietician, or both.

I'm not trying to restrict my Calories, I'm just finding it hard to get everything in I need to. I take the pills to give me energy to get through the workouts as I have fibromyalgia which causes fatigue. You are making me sound like a anorexic, when this is the first time in my life I've tried to be fit and healthy, I'm still learning. Thanks for being condescending though.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    Options

Unfortunately, you don't have much energy as you're not giving your body the required energy it needs. Those pills are dangerous underestimate or not. Trust me, I've been there, and the consequences of doing both last for years. Those pills are doing more harm than good, not only to your stomach, but to your heart, too. No energy tells me that you're not getting the nutrients that your body desperately requires, such as iron, b vitamins at least.

Honestly, get a food scale, weigh all solid and semi solid foods, eat at least 1200 and trust the process. It truly works..
    I take 300 MG of iron twice a day and vit b complex. I will definitely look into getting a scale when I can. I have really been trying to get at least 1200 cals a day. I'm at 1066 for the day but will still try to eat before bed.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

I'm not trying to restrict my Calories, I'm just finding it hard to get everything in I need to. I take the pills to give me energy to get through the workouts as I have fibromyalgia which causes fatigue. You are making me sound like a anorexic, when this is the first time in my life I've tried to be fit and healthy, I'm still learning. Thanks for being condescending though.

I'm not trying to be condescending; taken as a whole, what you're doing is unhealthy. You're nit trying to restrict your calories, but you're taking four pills of a stimulant/appetite suppressant; gee, I wonder why you're not hungry? (Now that was condescending.)
    When you taking excessive doses of an OTC stimulant so you can get through your workoutts, then post about being full on two bananas (but you'll try to eat dinner).... none of that is healthy. It's just not, and my guess is you knew that when you made your original post, otherwise you would have admitted to the Hydroxycut in your original post.