We can't "spot reduce," but can we camoflauge?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
So my friend Amanda made me go shopping with her last night (I hate shopping but it is a necessary evil when you've lost as much weight as I have) and then we hung out afterwards because my hubby was out doing work stuff.

We were chatting and I was lying back on my bed staring at the ceiling and Amanda looked over and grabbed the edge of my ribcage (a little strange, I know, but oh well) and commented on how you could play the xylophone on my ribs now and I needed to be careful not to lose any more weight from that area of my body.

I then pointed out my thighs and hips and the plentiful flesh left there and tried to explain that I don't get to choose where I lose.

Yes, my waist is tiny compared to the rest of me and, honestly, I don't think anything else could possibly come off of the area around my ribs since, as she pointed out, you can count the ribs now when I lay down and can see a couple of them semi-defined even when I am upright, but I don't get to choose and, since I am currently 187.8 pounds (5'10" and a large bone structure, so I don't want to lose a whole lot more, but I'm not quite done yet), I am clearly not "too skinny."

I would love to just say, "Ok, body - the next five pounds need to come directly from my thighs" but I don't get to make that choice.

I can only keep working on eating well and exercising regularly and drinking lots of water.

I do Zumba several times a week and take long walks on other days. I throw in some strength training here and there and occasionally do other types of exercise, but Zumba and walking are my main forms of exercise.

I think we all wish we could dictate what our bodies look like when we lose weight and where it comes off of, but we can't.

That being said, and knowing that we can't "spot reduce" specific areas, are there any things that can be done to make things at least appear a little more even? I have an extreme hourglass shape (42 Chest - 29 Waist - 41 Hips) and although my general shape is going to be that way no matter what, it would be nice if it didn't look like the middle section of my body is becoming emaciated while the rest of me is still rather fleshy.

So, are there any ways to sort of camoflauge this disparity in the sizes of different areas of my body?

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Seriously, there is a LOT of good articles in the boards here about the importance of STRENGTH training. Strength training will help you achieve the look you are looking for, weight loss alone will not give you the healthy and fit look that you want.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have an extreme hourglass shape (42 Chest - 29 Waist - 41 Hips)

So what's the problem again? 0.o
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The best way to change, fix, or rearrange body composition is with weights.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    underarmour compression shirts and/or shorts worn under regular clothes. i am so glad i found out about these, because they are great in making me feel "tight" when really... ha, i'm kinda not (i have a decent amount of loose skin, sorry if that's tmi!) though i don't wear the shorts myself. also they are great for running outside, i don't know about you/anyone else, but if i don't have one on, you can definitely hear me coming!!! lol

i can't wait for the day i don't have to wear them though! haha

and yes strength training! (i thought you were asking for a quick fix, maybe i read it wrong)
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    The rule with fat is "first on, last off". The place that you gain it the quickest will be the place that you lose it the slowest. Unfair? Kinda.
    Your body will pull fat cells from wherever you have them. So if there's nothing left in your midsection, it WILL eventually start taking from the fleshier bits.

That being said, upon looking at your exercises, you may benefit from doing some more resistance training, particularily ones that target the areas in question. You're right, you can't "spot reduce", but if you build more muscle in the areas of concern it will naturally take more energy to maintain it and therefore burn fat.

There's a long scientific explanation for why this works and why just walking or light cardio is not always the most effective, which I'd be happy to provide you if you want!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Well since your ribs are already popping they are not going to get any slimmer , keep at ti and drop a few more lbs. I have more of my fat on my legs and butt and when i get to about 130 they slim out. I am aiming for 135lb but i am also strength training to feet lovely legs. When you can camouflage that seems like another word for give up. yes you can pick clothing that is more flattering than others but dont stop. flared dresses and skirts help hide the thighs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Yeah, that! :laugh:

Watch what other women with bombshell bodies wear. Christina Hendricks, for one. :love: Scope out sites or stores that cater towards your figure, like retro styling. www.pinupgirlclothing.com is awesome.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Readjust your priorities to focus on strength training. This will allow you to improve your body composition. I have and article I wrote on weight training here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Grglandr/view/weight-training-guide-116508, please check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    bump interested to know since the area around my ribs seems to go faster than the rest :0/
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The fitness studio I go to also offers Muscle Pump (weight training class designed to increase muscle strength and endurance), so maybe I'll start doing that instead of Zumba a few days a week.

I was looking for both long and short-term solutions, so clothing ideas and the exercise suggestions are both welcome.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of close to where you are at. The ribs are showing especially when laying down and due to my bone structure, not sure I can lose much more in my hips. My problem areas are my thighs, arms and mid-section> I've been incorporating weights into my exercises and have been trying to focus more attention on things like leg lifts, situps, push ups, squats and lunges. I've been seeing some differences in my thighs and arms, but its a slow process. Much as I fought the weights thing due to fear of no longer losing and possibly gaining, there's just too much evidence out there that weights will help with both the toning and weight loss, so I'm slowly accepting the inevitable and incorporating strength training into my routine.
  • crissi66
    crissi66 Posts: 98
    Options
    Hey Cory, try some cheap shapewear. And by cheap i mean found at Target and walmart not macys!! I have a few pieces and they a big difference under dresses and skirts to keep everything smooth. Try some wrap style dresses. those will accentuate your tiny waist but fall from your hips, and not be clingy. I found some really cute dresses at target a few weeks ago and fashion bug too. None were more than 35 bucks. I refuse to spend too much money on things right now my body changes every few weeks. :happy:
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends I have the same probally my abs area look fabulous but my hips and thighs are really haning on to the fats. I strated a weight liftng program about three months ago along with cardio. I can see a more define look with my body, but inner thighs are fighting me now. I refused to give up cause I know one day those inner thighs wil be gone forever. Kepp up the amazing progress you are doing a fabulous job.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem! Instead, my problem area is my stomach. I'm doing the 6-week six-pack workout right now to try to thin it out. Unfortunately I'm practically straight up-and-down, no curves to speak of. =( I like the way I look from the side, but not the way I look from the front.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have added strength excercises that focus on my hips and thighs here is to hoping that it helps ( I have a lot of loose skin on the inside of my thighs, really not a pretty sight!). And my sister ( a personal trainer) reminded me that one day it will all catch up, and that if this truly is a lifestyle change that my thighs will one day realize that I am not giving up healthy foods and exercise so they should just give up!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    EXCELLENT abvice, ... :wink:
    Hello my friends I have the same probally my abs area look fabulous but my hips and thighs are really haning on to the fats. I strated a weight liftng program about three months ago along with cardio. I can see a more define look with my body, but inner thighs are fighting me now. I refused to give up cause I know one day those inner thighs wil be gone forever. Kepp up the amazing progress you are doing a fabulous job.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Yeah, that! :laugh:

Watch what other women with bombshell bodies wear. Christina Hendricks, for one. :love: Scope out sites or stores that cater towards your figure, like retro styling. www.pinupgirlclothing.com is awesome.

Thanks so much! The clothes on that website are ADOREABLE!!!
  • SewJoe
    SewJoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Perhaps 'spot-reducing' is the wrong buzz word these days, I believe the whole body needs the toning work-out at least a couple times a week along with cardio. Weight training that focuses on abs, arms and thighs really does reshape the body. Cardio alone does not tone and strengthen our bodies. I now love the weight training and crunching because I feel stronger. And although my weight (fat) loss is replaced by lean muscle so I weigh the same, I don't get caught up in what the scale says. My clothing is big on me now, and I am seeing a big difference in the mirror.