Skull Crushers

Options
A fantastic isolation exercise for the triceps and this will hit the forearms up too! I love this exercise, but please mind safety so you don't drop weight on your nugget!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/ez-bar-skullcrusher

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Also a great way to get elbow tendinitis...
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do get pain in my elbows as well. I use an ez bar and load it up heavy and do 10 reps skull crushers laying on the floor and go right into 15 reps close grip bench. You get a hellacious pump man
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I vastly prefer a hammer grip JM press.
  • BuffDaddyG
    BuffDaddyG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Also a great way to get elbow tendinitis...

You can technically get tennis elbow from almost any arm workout when using more weight than the tendon can handle. Keep reasonable weight in the exercise and you should be fine.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My favourite too. BuffDaddyG eh?!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    What/where is my nugget and why is it bad to drop weights on it?
  • BuffDaddyG
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    What/where is my nugget and why is it bad to drop weights on it?

Lol, your head. The move involves bringing the weight down just above your forehead

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Actually bring it down further back and feel your triceps catching fire!
  • BuffDaddyG
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Actually bring it down further back and feel your triceps catching fire!

I agree! I love to incline a bench and take the EZ bar behind my head for a gnarly pump
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Tried them once. Hated it.

Slow, controlled form with lighter weight, heavier weight.... still didn't matter... I couldn't feel lick.

Is this exercise for growth or get them shredded?

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I rather dumbbell or barbell floor press -- makes a better bench accessory too.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

The question doesn't make sense. "Growth" (hypertrophy) happens when taxing a muscle is mixed with eating. "Shredded" is a result of losing fat around your muscles.

Any exercise that can lead to growth can also lead to being shredded. It's all a matter of your diet.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love skull crushers and do them at least twice a week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    How about doing a compound exercise like dips and get more bang for your buck
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/best-of-triceps

Skull crushers are mentioned, but further down the list.

From the article:
    #1: The Dip: The Upper Body Squat

Ask a dozen hypertrophy experts to name the most effective triceps exercise and most will name the dip. As Coach Mike Robertson notes, "A basic rule of thumb should be this: If it uses more weight, it's probably a more effective exercise. For the triceps, that means dips and close-grip bench presses."

Unlike some triceps movements, dips hit every head of the triceps: the long, medial, and lateral. While it's okay to target individual heads to bring up weaknesses, the core of your triceps program should revolve around big movers like the dip.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

The question doesn't make sense. "Growth" (hypertrophy) happens when taxing a muscle is mixed with eating. "Shredded" is a result of losing fat around your muscles.

Any exercise that can lead to growth can also lead to being shredded. It's all a matter of your diet.

This.
  • BuffDaddyG
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    How about doing a compound exercise like dips and get more bang for your buck
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/best-of-triceps

Skull crushers are mentioned, but further down the list.

From the article:
    #1: The Dip: The Upper Body Squat

Ask a dozen hypertrophy experts to name the most effective triceps exercise and most will name the dip. As Coach Mike Robertson notes, "A basic rule of thumb should be this: If it uses more weight, it's probably a more effective exercise. For the triceps, that means dips and close-grip bench presses."

Unlike some triceps movements, dips hit every head of the triceps: the long, medial, and lateral. While it's okay to target individual heads to bring up weaknesses, the core of your triceps program should revolve around big movers like the dip.

I love dips! They really tear my triceps and delts straight up. And I completely side with including a good compound exercise no matter what muscle group is you're working on.