Diabetic diet

Options
mialsya
mialsya Posts: 188 Member
I've been having some serious digestive issues and, while we're still running tests and working on the diagnosis, my doctor suggested I switch to eating more of a diabetic diet. I have insulin resistant PCOS so this isn't a horrible idea and he thinks it may help my weight loss and my overall health. However, I don't know what to do and the dietician is on vacation for the next couple of weeks. The websites I've looked up are confusing - starch exchanges, carb exchanges, etc. Can someone give me the rundown in simple terms? What should I avoid, besides simple sugar and white flour? What's ok to eat, besides vegetables?

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Most of my family suffers from digestive issues and going primarily gluten free aleviated alot of issues. It also almost forcess you to go to a higher protein, less processed diet And they make tons of gluten free pastas, th bread arent the best unless you make your own, crackers are easy to find especially if you dont have a nut allergy.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything with added sugar, starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, etc), and things made from white flour (pasta, rice, baked goods). Eat lean meats, healthy fats (olive oil, butter, avocado), and lots of green veggies!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, chicken, pork and fish are best. Beef in moderation. 4 servings of veggies everyday, just remember potatos, corn and peas are starches not veggies.

If you divide your plate into quarters, 1/2 is veggies, 1/4 is protein and 1/4 is fruit.

You have to watch your portions, same with any kind of diet. An apple serving is a 2in diameter apple. Pasta is 2oz which is very small and should be limited.

Many medical providers offer Diabetic classes to help with this stuff, check with the doctor and see if any are available.

Best of Luck!
  • massmech8111
    Options
    ok...first off,im NOT a dietician...however i have years of research and application under my belt..
    simply put..stick to complex carbs...ie; whole grains,no processed (white) breads,ect...
    do you have a Glycemic Index Chart? you can google it to give you an idea of what foods are high or low on the Glycemic Index...The higher the number,the faster it converts to glucose,wich in turn triggers an insulin response..that response is partially responsible for fat storage..
    not to mention its bad for diabetics in general...
    Lean meats,nuts,legumes,lentils,eggs,whole grains,are good.
    try and stay away from fruits unless its prior to excercise or post workout..as they are high in fructose(sugar)
    most veggies are great,as far as pastas,whole wheat is the way to go...
    i eat like a diabetic..if you need a decent example check out my diary..hope it helps:)
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Protein: eggs, chicken, pork, beef, cheese (in moderation)
    leafy green veggies
    Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, etc)
    plain greek yogurt with berries and/or nuts
    salads - romaine, green leaf lettuce, spinach with simple dressings like EVOO & vinegar, mayo, or etc.
    healthy oils and fats - EVOO, avocado
    nuts in moderation

As little pasta, bread, potatoes and rice as you can.
    Avoid processed food as they tend to have hidden ingredients, and weird processed carbs. Especially avoid bottled salad dressings and sauces as they are full of crap.

I am not doing perfectly (need more vegetables), but you can friend me and see my diary if you want to.

Edited to add: yes, avoid corn and peas too. They are starchy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Check out the approved food list at Atkins.com. You don't need to follow their program, but their approved low-carb food lists have some things that you might never have thought to try. This is the phase one list, but there's no reason you can't have anything on the lists for all four phases: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase.aspx
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 diabetes. Most of what these folks have said is correct. Lean meat, veggies, basically low carb with a few tweeks, I guess. The "Healthy Plate" is a good guide. 1/4 of your plate = protein (lean meat, egg etc.), 1/4 plate = carbs (brown rice, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta etc), 1/2 plate =non-starchy veggies. Many diabetics actually have to be very careful of fruit - fruit that takes long to digest is much better (apples, berries etc.) than others. And everybody reacts a little different. Hope it helps - it's not that bad, or for that matter much different than many people on MFP already are doing!
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my second child. The diet they put me on was very simple. I could basically eat anything as long as I counted the carbs at each meal and made sure to eat them with a protein and limit fats. This was the basic plan:

Diabetic Diet Plan

Breakfast:
    30 carb
    7 protein

Morning Snack:
    15 carb

Lunch:
    60 carb
    14 protein

Afternoon Snack:
    30 carb

Dinner:
    60 carb
    14 protein

Evening Snack:
    30 carb
    7 protein

This was the gist of it, I was also supposed to wait at least 2 hours between each meal/snack.
    This was given to me by the dietitian at the hospital.
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    By the way, I lost 20lbs while on that diet, while I was pregnant before delivery!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also a type 2 diabetic and I have had the added advantage of losing my job and losing my medical insurance shortly after. This made me taking insulin and my pills very expensive and it forced me to either change my diet and exercise or die through diabetic complications. Simple choice really. Facing this crisis has been the best thing for me as it forced me to wake up and take responsibility for my life. I vowed not to allow doctors to tell me that I will always be on medication and that diabetes is incurable, only manageable. Oddly enough, with my research, I came to believe that meats, fowl, dairy and fish are foods to avoid. As you can see, I am of Asian descent and I realized that my grand parents never had diabetes, high blood pressure and other "affluent" diseases. It was what I was eating that was killing me and my doctors never told me this as they thought I would not comply with the actual cure (change my eating habits) and just prescribed medications that will never cure me but only manipulates the sugars in my blood so I can continue my bad eating. I became another fat guy with a bag of pills. I am telling you all this because I want you to hear a different side of eating meats, (no matter how lean), yogurt and fish.

I ask that you go to youtube and do a search for the audio book of The China Study (it starts on part 2 of 15) and then search for a youtube member headveg and watch the western alternative doctors and nutritionists give talks on a plant based, whole foods diet. Then decide whether the Aktins approach is good for you or if the plant based, whole foods diet is good for you. The last youtube video I ask you to watch is "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." Here you will find out about sugar and conversely fiber.

Calorie speaking, olive oil, almonds and avocados are too "high" to be considered good for weight loss and more importantly, satisfying as a meal and should be sparingly eaten (maybe as a snack).

I should also state that I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor so investigate not only my observations and opinions but others and make up your own mind. I took insulin and medication and I am now off all of them. It is too early to say this was a good idea or if it is safe but I as I said earlier, I really have no other choice. I try to eat right and measure my sugar in my blood to make sure I am within normal blood sugar range. I have found that veggies, fruits and starchy foods is best but I will never force that life on anyone.

Also, by the way, not only did I lose weight, but my blood tests (taken about 10 days ago) showed that I am within normal range for everything, including my blood sugars, and cardio heart disease. Weight loss doesn't always mean you are healthy!

I wish you good health.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Go to dlife.com they have so much great info and a recipe section. I use it all the time and have no trouble with A!C anymore.