Time for a break?

So I've lost over 100lbs since January 2015 and still have another 100 to go. Eat 1,500 cals per day and do 10k steps per day (using Fitbit).

Lately, while I am still committed and motivated, I've been feeling quite run-down. Low energy, body feels fatigued etc. Also am medicated for anxiety but have been getting stress related excema and rashes.

Is there any benefit to having a "break"? As in, eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, stay active, just not worry about hitting my step goals etc. Or just "suck it up, buttercup" and get over it?

Stats are 38, female, starting weight 366lbs, current weight 258lbs, 5'3", 1,500 cals per day for 1.5lb per week loss, set at sedentary, and losing at about that rate. Diary is public.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    You have done amazing!! Take a two week break and eat at maintenance. Way to go!! Come back like a maniac :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Of you are creating a new lifestyle, you will be able to manage. Have you tried figuring out what your maintenance calories will be at you goal weight and eating that? Since you still have a ways to go, it will both be good practice and you should still lose slowly.

Definitely do not relax your step goals if that is part of your maintenance plan! You could try substituting a different exercise or finding some place new to walk at least once a week.

In short, rather than taking a break, rehearse for maintenance.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Low energy and feeling fatigued might mean it's time to up your calories and go to 1 pound a week, or even a half-pound, instead of 1.5 for awhile. You've rocked this thing so far! Just listen to your body and take care of yourself. :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I personally believe diet breaks are a good thing if they are maintenance focused, meaning you still log, you still work out. You need to pace yourself to get this finished. Congrats on coming so far!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Low energy and feeling fatigued might mean it's time to up your calories and go to 1 pound a week, or even a half-pound, instead of 1.5 for awhile. You've rocked this thing so far! Just listen to your body and take care of yourself. :)

It's what I would do... 1 pound a week. Or eat maintenance calories for your goal. I honestly don't recommend eating at your current maintenance calories because it seems to defeat the purpose for me... You'd just be used to eating too much again.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Goal weight maintenance at current activity level works out only 10 cals different to current 1 pound loss, so I think I will go with that for a couple of weeks before dropping back down and hitting it again.

Although.... there may be a few current weight maintenance days over Easter. Haven't had real chocolate for freaking ages, I'm gonna take the opportunity :smiley:

Thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    So I've lost over 100lbs since January 2015 and still have another 100 to go. Eat 1,500 cals per day and do 10k steps per day (using Fitbit).

Lately, while I am still committed and motivated, I've been feeling quite run-down. Low energy, body feels fatigued etc. Also am medicated for anxiety but have been getting stress related excema and rashes.

Is there any benefit to having a "break"? As in, eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, stay active, just not worry about hitting my step goals etc. Or just "suck it up, buttercup" and get over it?

Stats are 38, female, starting weight 366lbs, current weight 258lbs, 5'3", 1,500 cals per day for 1.5lb per week loss, set at sedentary, and losing at about that rate. Diary is public.

Cheers

I'm not opposed to you taking a diet break, but suggest you talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid and iron levels tested. Also discuss the excema and rashes.

Five years ago I thought I hated my life and my job, but it turned out the form of iron I'd been getting from my doctor wasn't working for me. I changed that and my energy and happiness levels returned to normal.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I totally believe in diet/workout breaks!! I do it for about a 1-2 weeks, every 8 months or so....Does a body good!! You've done AMAZING so far, you must be so proud of your success!!!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cheers

I'm not opposed to you taking a diet break, but suggest you talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid and iron levels tested. Also discuss the excema and rashes.

Five years ago I thought I hated my life and my job, but it turned out the form of iron I'd been getting from my doctor wasn't working for me. I changed that and my energy and happiness levels returned to normal.

Hi

Thanks for that. Doctor knows about the excema and rashes, and isn't worried. Thyroid is all good, but iron has historically been a bit of an issue. I do need to go see her again in a few weeks, so if upping my calories a bit doesn't help, then I'll definitely get her to run blood tests.

Much appreciated :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Diet breaks are great. I'd keep up your activity level though, you'll have more fuel so you might as well keep active :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for that. Doctor knows about the excema and rashes, and isn't worried. Thyroid is all good, but iron has historically been a bit of an issue. I do need to go see her again in a few weeks, so if upping my calories a bit doesn't help, then I'll definitely get her to run blood tests.

Much appreciated :smile:

Keep us posted! I bet you're low iron.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    I'm taking a break. added 500 calories expected to stop loosing weight but I'm loosing more than I was before the added calories. I feel so much better than I did. Not sure when or if I am going back to the calorie count I was at. I'm still working out. Which is a combination of walking and bike riding.

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    first, you're doing an awesome job!!! Are you exercising? If not, that might help your low energy.