No matter what i eat im still hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    A slight feeling of hunger won't kill you. Go for a walk, drink a glass of water, go run an errand. Many times the feeling will pass or you'll learn to tolerate it better. I find I can ignore slight hunger much better now than I used to.

Stay within your MFP guidelines and develop more success with delayed gratification. It's a good life skill, applicable to many situations.

Good luck!

+1

I've never discovered a magic bullet as far as foods that make me feel full for hours. Sometimes the same foods I can eat for one meal will make me feel like I ate rocks and I won't be hungry up to a day from eating them can be the same foods that aren't doing anything to fill me up at all at that point in time. I don't get it, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Just how it is, but my calories for the day have to remain below a certain calorie level regardless of how physically hungry I seem to feel at any given moment or not. I just can't keep eating all day, I just have to deal with it on the days that are hungrier than others. I distract myself doing something else and drinking something 0 cal and chewing gum until it is time for the next meal.

Also are you sure that you are actually really hungry and not just bored? I find I feel boredom hunger far, far more often then actual physical hunger.
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get genuinely hungry like an empty feeling, I'm five foot have a physical job
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

So maybe you're just not eating enough. 1300 calories is really on the low side...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Didn't you post last week, and you were going to try raising your calories? I still think it's a good idea.

I like to include vegetables and protein with my breakfast. Had steel cuts today, with blueberries, protein powder, and some vegetables on the side, and that was quite filling, but satiety is personal, you need to find what works for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @angeljo2015 four days ago you asked the same question and agreed to try 1600 calories as you only have 13 pounds to lose: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10350610/hungry-shortly-after-eating/p1

You also acknowledged last month that your weight loss goal was too aggressive: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10341851/is-1200-calories-too-low-for-me
  • Aylame11
    Aylame11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I noticed the more water I try and drink even if I have to force it down one glass and hour before brekkie and im not so hungry after then 2-3 glasses before lunch! Give it a go! May help U too! X
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Perhaps increase water consumption. Sometimes hunger signal can be a signal for dehydration (or slight dehydration) as well.

This is a valid point.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 1000-1300 calories every day. I am never hungry. I drink 64oz of water before noon and another 64oz by 4:30. I drink at least a full 8oz after every meal. I am also eating every few hours. I have 3 meals and 2 snacks. Nuts are my usual go to snack, hummus, veggies. I am beginning to learn that it is mind over matter. Hungry can present itself when you are board, tired or just sick of being on a diet. Our minds are very powerful. I think I am never hungry because my stomach always feels full with the water that I consume. Everyone is different tho. Try increasing calories by 200 for a couple weeks, increase water and see how you feel. Good luck!
  • Rosee33
    Rosee33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

If you have a physical job, then you are burning lots of calories (depending on what you consider physical). If that is the case, than your caloric intake isn't nearly what you need. For example, my Zumba instructor teaches 4 - 5 classes per day, and keeps her own exercise regimen. She literally needs 4000 calories a day because of her rigorous schedule. Now this is an extreme example but if your job is very physical and your body is burning calories, unless you are morbidly obese, you need to examine how much physical activity you do versus how much fuel you are in-taking. Food is fuel for the body. If you don't fuel up, how do you expect to perform well? It sounds to me like you're starving yourself. NOT GOOD. Up your caloric intake. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. Adjust your caloric intake to reflect that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I checked back - OP has recorded their calories on 4 occasions in Feb (643 cals on the 10th, 654 calories on the 13, 789 calories on the 15th and 157 calories on the 27th) and zero occasions in March.

What is and what is not a filling type of food is irrelevant to the poster until she gets her logging sorted. Only then will she and us know if the hunger is because of the type of food she is eating or just a result of chronic underrating.

OP get your logging sorted - if you log your food elsewhere summarise and post it here so that people can help you.

all of that.

if youre not logging accurately, you may be eating more or less than you believe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Perhaps increase water consumption. Sometimes hunger signal can be a signal for dehydration (or slight dehydration) as well.

Ya, first thing in the AM I feel hungry but am actually thirsty.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Give it a little time, your body will adjust
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think a more accurate statement might be "no matter what I've tried so far"

I guarantee you, you can create fullness with proper food selection.

Just for example try eating 12oz chicken breast with no sauce or condiments, and 12-16oz green beans or broccoli.

Then ask yourself if you're still hungry.

My overall point here is that foods have satiety properties to them and while there are some individual differences, most people will feel remarkably full from selecting high protein, low calorie density, high fiber food items.

Additionally foods that are somewhat lower in palatability will tend to promote satiety.

SideSteel, what food that are somewhat lower in palatability do you suggest? Curious whether there are some options I might want to try.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think a more accurate statement might be "no matter what I've tried so far"

I guarantee you, you can create fullness with proper food selection.

Just for example try eating 12oz chicken breast with no sauce or condiments, and 12-16oz green beans or broccoli.

Then ask yourself if you're still hungry.

My overall point here is that foods have satiety properties to them and while there are some individual differences, most people will feel remarkably full from selecting high protein, low calorie density, high fiber food items.

Additionally foods that are somewhat lower in palatability will tend to promote satiety.

This this this!

I have days when I can't seem to "feel full." I notice that those tend to be the days when I am less in control of what I eat, and I have to choose amongst foods that I know won't satisfy me. I went out to lunch with a friend to a restaurant of her choosing on Sunday. This place was pretty trendy, and they advertised themselves as a "superfood" all organic cafe. They had pressed juices and bagel sandwiches. Well, I have to say, I just felt rotten after eating there. I blew an estimated 800 calories on that meal - a bagel with cream cheese, dill, and avocado. I was hungry again in 2 hours, but I just didn't have the calories to spend on another meal. Bagels just don't work for me, and I know that, but I really didn't have a good option that would satisfy me.

Meanwhile, my lunch that I make at home is usually a GIANT salad. I mean mixing-bowl sized. I use a whole head of romaine lettuce, and bits and pieces of whatever other veggies I have in the refrigerator, and a big hunk of protein (150-200g of chicken or shrimp or some other protein). This is usually around 400-500 calories. When I finish it, I'm STUFFED. But I don't feel deprived, and that is really helping me, psychologically, through this weight loss process.

At night, I'll make a GIANT pan of roasted veggies (my favourites include Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots and parsnips). I have that with another big hunk of protein. Again, it looks like a massive amount of food. But the bulk of the volume comes from the veggies, which are low calorie, high fibre, high satiety. I do have to watch how much olive oil I cook them in - I toss them with 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil and then roast at 425 for ~ 40 min. Amazingly good. I am so much fuller having this meal than a meal with the same # of calories of pasta.

These are the choices I can make that will support my weight loss and minimize my feeling hungry and frustrated that I'm out of calories for the day.