Determining goal weight

Options
I am wondering how you all determined what your correct goal weight or correct range is. When I search on line I see that my goal weight can range by 20 pounds (anywhere between 130-150 for a 5-5 male)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe start at the top of the range as your first goal and see how you feel when you get there.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I never set one. I set my calories, checked my weight loss progress, and stopped when I was satisfied.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to no longer be overweight. My next goal is 144, because it was a weight that I felt great at and I felt I looked great. If I want to lose a couple or 5 more, or even 10 more, at that point, I will re-evaluate and keep going.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    But to specifically answer your question, I based my goal on my healthy weight range for my height and what my weight and measurements were when I was in great shape.

My range is 118-154, but I was 135-145 when in really great shape and dancing and working out 4-9x a week in high school. My lowest weight when I tried to lose weight during high school was 131-132. So obviously I don't have any interest in seeing the low end of my range. I have a large frame.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what my "correct" weight range is, I never bothered to look it up. :smile:

I know that when I got married I was somewhere around 145-150lbs and I felt pretty good then. But that was nearly 30 years ago and my shape has changed, so I don't know if I can get back to that.

I chose to set my current 'final' goal at 160lbs, and will see how I look and feel when I get there. I may decide to aim for 150 or even 140, but like @Stanley1903 I have a larger/heavier frame and apparently carried my weight well when I was lighter. I can't really imagine going below 140, I haven't been that light since I was a teenager!
  • NCBALR
    NCBALR Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a male 5'9" 170lbs and my goal weight was 160lbs until I realized how hard it was to lose 10lbs after 30 so I said fine 170 it is...lol
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    No-one has a "large frame". People who are taller will have longer limbs, for example. But that's it.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I set mine based on research for optimal running performance, which is more based on BF%.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    No-one has a "large frame". People who are taller will have longer limbs, for example. But that's it.

I disagree as our bones /frames are all different - e.g wrist measurements on various people who are at their ideal weight will not be the same.

I have broad shoulders and hips - no padding on either any more but it's impossible for my hips to get below 35". Whereas some will be my height (5ft 2 ) and perhaps have 32" hips....that's bone structure /frame size - genetics play a part.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I go by the range of most BMI charts, which for my height, is around 100lbs-136lbs. I originally planed to maintain on 115-120lbs, but then I decided that a BMI of 20 would feel best, and a BMI of 20 is maintained on 108lbs-114lbs, which is my maintenance weight range. I personally don't like being too close to the underweight/overweight borders, so ultimately, I always made sure to set a target range at least two BMI points(?) from either border.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I disagree as our bones /frames are all different - e.g wrist measurements on various people who are at their ideal weight will not be the same.

I have broad shoulders and hips - no padding on either any more but it's impossible for my hips to get below 35". Whereas some will be my height (5ft 2 ) and perhaps have 32" hips....that's bone structure /frame size - genetics play a part.

+1, all the differences you see daily aren't just height and weight.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Bone structure definitely makes a difference, along with muscle mass.
    As for determining my own goal weight, it used to be 139 which was the lowest weight I'd maintained as an adult. A couple years ago I decided to try losing another 10 lbs to see how I would feel, and I ended up really liking ~130 on me. I recently hit that weight and am moving to recomp.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Frame size differences are real and dramatic. Here's an interesting anthropological review:

Ruff, Christopher. "Variation in human body size and shape." Annual Review of Anthropology (2002): 211-232.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I set mine based on what I weighed when I was married--the last time I remember liking how I looked in a bathing suit (and still within the healthy BMI range). I actually achieved it, and 25 years later it looked way different than I remember so I gained a little bit of weight back (8 lbs).
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My weight in my early 20s was around 170-175 lbs, so that's what I'm shooting for. It's heavier than I've seen recommended in various tables and calculators, but at that weight I'm healthy, happy, and not emaciated. Using the wrist circumference criterion, I classify as large frame. See:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    My weight in my early 20s was around 170-175 lbs, so that's what I'm shooting for. It's heavier than I've seen recommended in various tables and calculators, but at that weight I'm healthy, happy, and not emaciated. Using the wrist circumference criterion, I classify as large frame. See:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

I like your calculator--it says that I am perfect where I am right now! :smile:
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    stickkop wrote: »
    I am wondering how you all determined what your correct goal weight or correct range is. When I search on line I see that my goal weight can range by 20 pounds (anywhere between 130-150 for a 5-5 male)

You could try

http://visualbmi.com/

and adjust the sliders to suit.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" so looking at the examples a lean 140lb would be my initial goal. With a top goal of a lean 150lb

At 133lb I have a couple of years hard work to go lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you want a very accurate on, you just need to know your lean body mass. Then use the formula:

Lean body mass divided by 1 minus body fat% desired.........LBM/(1-BF% desired)

So say someone wants to be 20% body fat and lean mass is 150lbs

150/.80=187.5 187.5lbs would be the goal weight to be 20% body fat.

This works with ANYONE because is based on lean mass and not frame height, muscularity, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Nonsense. There is a a huge variation in all body parts including build / skeleton / body proportions.
    Have a look at rugby legend Jason Leonard for someone with a real barrel chest. (Not talking about the muscle on top of his frame BTW - his rib cage is enormous).