Does Anyone Know...?

Options
I work at the front desk of a hotel, so I am standing all day with a small amount of walking around as well. I have listed myself as "Lightly Active" in my settings. Sometimes, I wear a pedometer and according to it, I usually walk about 2.5 miles during my eight-hour shift. I was wondering: do I record that walking as part of my exercise for the day, or is it just factored in as part of my "lightly-activeness"? I always had been adding it as exercise, but a comment I saw a while back on another topic got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't be, and that only the additional exercise I do (elliptical, neighborhood walking) should be counted.

I hope this is not too confusing, and any input is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• jillerin457
    Options
    If you're set to Lightly Active, that should cover it. You could switch to Sedentary and then log the calories as exercise, but it would have to be one or the other. Any movement that burns calories should be counted, EITHER in your activity level or your exercise log. Your body doesn't know if it's in a gym, wearing sweatpants, or not.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't count that in mine. the only exercise i log is when i go out of my way to burn calories. i figure the rest is just normal every day activities.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work on my feet too (in retail). I have myself set as "active" since I work on my feet, workout at the gym, etc.

I wouldn't record it as exercise. For me, exercise is something my body isn't used to me doing everyday. My body is used to all the walking, folding, etc I do at work - because I do it so often. To me, exercise should be something that REALLY gets my heart rate up.

I did up my calories when I wasn't losing weight because I realized that while I don't count it as exercise, my body is used to doing it - I am still burning a bunch of calories at work.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but this is my guess. Since you've described yourself as lightly active, your daily calorie allowance should reflect that and allow you more calories than it gives my "sedentary" lifestyle. I would only log any additional exercise you do. Just my thought.....
  • faerygirl33
    faerygirl33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I believe that should just be counted as your daily activity, not your exercise because its at such a low rate. Its more maintaining your activity level.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Anything I do at work, I don't count extra for. I just think of it as a bonus.
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    Lightly active should cover it but, still, it can be kind of satisfying to see that you walked that far. Why not go onto the tickerfactory.com and make yourself a ticker to put in your signature, you can put your 2.5miles on that so you can still see that you're being productive
  • Crystaljk78
    Crystaljk78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! It's nice to have that clarified for me, since now I know I was eating more calories than I probably should've been and I think this will give me the kick in the butt I need to work out a bit more :)