Exercise

Options
Is it better to exercise before or an hour or so after a meal? Seems like everyone has a different answer. I thought it was before a meal?!?

Replies

• charmainecurrie
    Options
    for me i need to have a little something before i workout
    but listen to your body
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a meal around noon, workout abut 3, and eat again around 7..... So with me I guess it's none of the above...
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    before or after, it doesn't matter at all. it's not really going to make a difference. before is good because after you exercise your metabolism is up, but after you a meal is good because whenever i exercise after a meal i don't feel as groggy and it helps digest the food as well.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise before a meal or way after a meal (2-3 hours) My understanding is you burn stored fat if you exercise without eating before hand. Sounds good to me!! Sorry I wasn't much help!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't eat and then work out, I need at least an hour and a half. Also, I've read (no hard stats, no resource, just something along the way so take it for what it's worth) that you use your calories more efficiently if you eat within 30 minutes after a work out.
  • craazygirl
    craazygirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning before I've eaten, and I exercise in the late afternoons... often I eat a snack with high protein to get me through the workout before dinner.
    I think the important thing is to get your exercise in and find what works best for you.
    It may depend on the intensity of the workout also.
    My husband does P90X and they advise drinking a protein recovery drink after the workout.
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have low blood sugar so I have to have protein and carbs before I work out and plenty of water during and after.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1-2 hours after you have eaten, so your body has enough energy to keep up with any kind of exercise you are going to do :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Great advice....guess I'll eat a snack before I leave work, go work out and then go home and have dinner!! Thanks to all of you :flowerforyou: