Daily Exercise Motivation

Options
I have a bad habit to give excuse to myself that i will exercise in the morning or evening. Many times i ignore myself telling " from tomorrow i will start exercising daily". I even try to follow the routine but not more than 2-3 days. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Even looking for online weight losing friend.

Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the easier it gets to keep on doing it. Even when you stop for a bit. The more you keep starting, the shorter you'll find those periods of stopping.

I found it worked best for me to create the habit of exercising by making it ridiculously convenient for me. I joined a gym across the street from me that had really good hours. I'm lucky that my university has a gym and membership fees are included in my student fees. So I keep shoes and clothes in my locker. I got a job with an employer that values employee health and has a gym in the building. So have gym stuff at my desk and can work out on my lunch break.

I've also found that I need to work out when I get up in the morning because the longer I wait, the less likely I am to do it.

These are things I have tried. I'm sure others have their own suggestions too.
  • cute_n
    cute_n Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I start, promise myself this time is different but after all it's the same again and start from tomorrow :(
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just got a Garmin Vivosmart HR that bugs me every hour if I haven't been moving around. Then it has a band that grows with increased inactivity so I have to walk a certain amount to make it go away. While that doesn't cover the major exercise, I feel like even that little bit of extra movement is good motivation.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The more you do it, the easier it gets to keep on doing it. Even when you stop for a bit. The more you keep starting, the shorter you'll find those periods of stopping.

I found it worked best for me to create the habit of exercising by making it ridiculously convenient for me. I joined a gym across the street from me that had really good hours. I'm lucky that my university has a gym and membership fees are included in my student fees. So I keep shoes and clothes in my locker. I got a job with an employer that values employee health and has a gym in the building. So have gym stuff at my desk and can work out on my lunch break.

I've also found that I need to work out when I get up in the morning because the longer I wait, the less likely I am to do it.

These are things I have tried. I'm sure others have their own suggestions too.

This^

Re: bolded. My "the more you do it" and "ridiculously convenient." I created a weekly workout goal of a measly 60 minutes. I logged this in a spreadsheet. You can use a calendar & put smiley stickers on it, take money out of an "exercise jar," anything to keep yourself accountable.

My 60 minutes could be 6x10, 4x15, 3x20.....whatever. I just had to move. If I couldn't come up with 60 minutes somewhere, I was truly pathetic. I tried new things every single week. Youtube, Jessica SmithTV, Fitness Blender, BeFit, Amazon Prime ......10's of thousands of videos out there. Your local library will likely have DVDs available too.

New workouts - new adventures. This allowed me to find what I liked. The "practice" of finding what I liked built in some consistency. After awhile (I was more fit) I added more minutes.

I'm not a morning person, no way I will do morning workouts. But this is good advice. Mornings keep distractions at bay.
  • niaacrush2000
    niaacrush2000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you.....i will definitely try your suggestions......thanks once again....