SSRIs/SNRIs and dieting

I'm new to the fitness/health stuff. I am starting because since I started taking an SNRI I have put on 10kg. Has anyone else had experience with these things? Have they struggled to lose the weight or has it been okay? I'm looking forward to my weight loss journey but I'm nervous it might be harder or less successful because of my medication. But I could be completely wrong. Hence why I would like to hear others experiences :)

Replies

• cws93
    cws93 Posts: 56 Member
    Also unsure if relevant or not but for those interested I am 5"4 and 135 lbs and my goal weight is 110 lbs.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    The medication is irrelevant. If you consistently eat at a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight. I won't get into the details, but I have experience with this. You can do it!
  • cws93
    My psychiatrist and GP both warned me that medication often causes weight gain but I also understand the correlation itself might be more to do with the condition! Thanks for your comment :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    The medication itself does not cause the weight gain. The extra appetite some people experience and therefore the extra calories in cause the weight gain. I guess you will just have to be extra vigilant with your logging.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    I take an SSRI and risperdal. When I first started on them I had extreme hunger and was lethargic, so both sides of the CICO equation got out of balance and I gained weight. Over time my body got used to the meds and I found MFP. Between those two factors, I've been able to lose back down to my original weight. It takes a little extra effort and some patience, but you can lose weight on a SSRI. Just focus on the deficit and you'll get there.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    I'm on an ssri and gained weight every time I started back on it. But like others have said, if you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose the weight, I've been losing steady 1-2 pounds a week down 50 pounds, yes they can increase your appetite, but they don't prevent you from losing weight, I too was worried and didn't start this app for awhile being worried that it would be a waste of time since I take an ssri known for weight gain. It has not been an issue! You will do great, don't use it as an excuse to prevent yourself from losing weight! Good luck
  • cws93
    Keith3481 wrote: »
    I take an SSRI and risperdal. When I first started on them I had extreme hunger and was lethargic, so both sides of the CICO equation got out of balance and I gained weight. Over time my body got used to the meds and I found MFP. Between those two factors, I've been able to lose back down to my original weight. It takes a little extra effort and some patience, but you can lose weight on a SSRI. Just focus on the deficit and you'll get there.
    Thank you :)
  • cws93
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I'm on an ssri and gained weight every time I started back on it. But like others have said, if you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose the weight, I've been losing steady 1-2 pounds a week down 50 pounds, yes they can increase your appetite, but they don't prevent you from losing weight, I too was worried and didn't start this app for awhile being worried that it would be a waste of time since I take an ssri known for weight gain. It has not been an issue! You will do great, don't use it as an excuse to prevent yourself from losing weight! Good luck
    Thanks a lot! :)
  • CourtneyKirklnd
    CourtneyKirklnd Posts: 1 Member
    I was on Lexapro and gained 25 lbs (150 up from 125). It's hard as hell to get it off...keep yourself in check and at a deficit.
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    I've lost weight since being on my SSRI as my appetite has decreased significantly. I am taking advantage of this "jumpstart" and focusing on more of my macros and exercises. Although judging by the other comments I am guessing an increase in appetite aka weight gain is the usual side effect for these kind of meds. So I guess my experience is just different.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    I am on Remeron which is notorious for weight gain. I have successfully lost over 150 pounds while being on it for 8 years. Eat at a deficit and you will not gain fat. Water weight perhaps, but no fat gain in a deficit.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am on Remeron which is notorious for weight gain. I have successfully lost over 150 pounds while being on it for 8 years. Eat at a deficit and you will not gain fat. Water weight perhaps, but no fat gain in a deficit.

remeron made me ravenous. i gained 40lbs in a month and a half. lost it in about 3 weeks after stopping it.
    when taking these things, it can increase appetite and/or increase brain hunger. plus, you might be more prone to eating when you feel better

congrats on the loss @duddysdad
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    I've been on an SSRI (Lexapro) for about a year now, and haven't seen any impact on my appetite. I was terrified to go on it cause I was already the heaviest I had been in my life (5'8" 210 lbs urgh) at the time and didn't wanna gain any more. But it really helped with my depression, and gave me back the motivation to start taking care of myself.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I neither gained or lost while taking an SSRI. I lost while taking an SNRI. I did notice that both changed my food interest. Normally I'm not a big fast food person, but when taking the SSRI I couldn't stay away from it. While taking the SNRI, my food focus was on chocolate, and if chocolate wasn't involved the dish wasn't interesting. I think both types of drugs impact tastes and appetite level, which is why some people gain due to an increased appetite. Couple that with craving calorie dense food and you have a good recipe for weight gain. Just try to be more mindful regard what you eat and how much and the weight should come off. Good luck!
  • cws93
    LC107 wrote: »
    I've lost weight since being on my SSRI as my appetite has decreased significantly. I am taking advantage of this "jumpstart" and focusing on more of my macros and exercises. Although judging by the other comments I am guessing an increase in appetite aka weight gain is the usual side effect for these kind of meds. So I guess my experience is just different.

You are lucky! I love that you took it as incentive to start on your goals though :)
  • cws93
    edited March 2016
    I've been on an SSRI (Lexapro) for about a year now, and haven't seen any impact on my appetite. I was terrified to go on it cause I was already the heaviest I had been in my life (5'8" 210 lbs urgh) at the time and didn't wanna gain any more. But it really helped with my depression, and gave me back the motivation to start taking care of myself.

That's brilliant. All about balance aye. I was hesitant to take a new type of medication my psychiatrist recommended me for my anxiety induced nausea (which in the past has been disabling) because it commonly correlates with weight gain but because I am getting less nausea I am able to be more active so it works out much better
  • cws93
    I neither gained or lost while taking an SSRI. I lost while taking an SNRI. I did notice that both changed my food interest. Normally I'm not a big fast food person, but when taking the SSRI I couldn't stay away from it. While taking the SNRI, my food focus was on chocolate, and if chocolate wasn't involved the dish wasn't interesting. I think both types of drugs impact tastes and appetite level, which is why some people gain due to an increased appetite. Couple that with craving calorie dense food and you have a good recipe for weight gain. Just try to be more mindful regard what you eat and how much and the weight should come off. Good luck!

Very well said. The taste perception thing definetly makes sense.

Thanks to everyone who replied! All this advice has been very helpful.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    I was on Zoloft for a bit and my appetite was constant as well as my energy levels drained. I believe I gained 5 lbs during the short time I was on it. Stopped when I hit that point, unfortunately. Haven't tried any other meds yet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26939086 "Sertraline inhibits increases in body fat and carbohydrate dysregulation in adult female cynomolgus monkeys"

Not humans, but food for thought.