Losing Weight for Already Small Girls

Options
Hello my fit friends :) any tips for an already pretty tiny girl trying to lose weight? I'm 18, 5'2, and 109 pounds...I know most of you are thinking I don't need to lose any more weight but to put it in perspective I wear a size 5 for pants which isn't that small! I'm hoping losing those last 5 or 10 pounds will get rid of the excess fat on my legs but I seem to be stuck! Any advice?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and have a range between 100-105. Enter your stats in MFP, and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
    Use a scale for solids, and cups and spoons for liquids.

Being so small with little to lose makes it a slow process and accuracy is key.
    You will probably be given 1200 to lose .5 lbs a week. For good health eat all those calories. And your exercise calories.

You may find it advantageous to lifting. It will help reshape your body and preserve your muscle as you lose those few pounds. You may even find you don't need to lose as much as you thought.

Cheers, h.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and have a range between 100-105. Enter your stats in MFP, and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
    Use a scale for solids, and cups and spoons for liquids.

Being so small with little to lose makes it a slow process and accuracy is key.
    You will probably be given 1200 to lose .5 lbs a week. For good health eat all those calories. And your exercise calories.

You may find it advantageous to lifting. It will help reshape your body and preserve your muscle as you lose those few pounds. You may even find you don't need to lose as much as you thought.

Cheers, h.

Great advice only thing I would change is weigh liquids also! And if you are losing you may want to lower the amount of exercises calories you eat back to more aroind 40%. But it'll depend on how accurate your calorie burn is.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Weighing liquids is difficult unless you have a scale that has fl oz and ml.
    Most digital scales are for solids. It would be a mistake to try and use them for liquids. Water is 1:1, but everything else varies due to density.

I do agree, weigh if your scale accommodates liquids.

Cheers, h.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    With such a small number to lose, I would suggest downgrading the importance of the scale and start using tape measure and possibly calipers.

As middle has stated, if you are not already, now is the time to start weight lifting/resistance training.
    This could also be stubborn fat time where you have a few deposits on certain areas of your body that do not shift despite other areas changing with your work. It may be time to try things such as a fasted walking which can help this.
  • ptbball3
    ptbball3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea about using a tape measurer! I hadn't thought of that before but it's so smart! Thanks for the tip!
    Also I will definitely start weight lifting. I always resort to cardio because of a high school fitness teacher pretty much drilling in our heads that cardio is the best method for weight loss! Although that may be the case when you don't have much excess weight to lose it makes sense that strength training would tone that extra flab. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 108. When you don't weigh much, consistency is absolutely key. I recommend getting a food scale and using it on all solid foods. You don't have to cook your own food, but be aware that when you eat things other people have prepared, your calorie counts may be off. Resistance training is important. Get in the habit of double-checking database entries for accuracy -- most entries are entered by your fellow users and they can include errors that will make your logging off.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise and measure don't weigh. I'd advise against dieting to lose weight while you are a teenager and not overweight, even at 18 you may grow and are still developing, restricting your diet when you don't have to isn't a great idea.

If you feel like your body-fat is too high, try increasing your activity and holding your diet how it is, or even eating a little more, and measure your waist and hips to see if you are getting the results you want. Adding muscle will probably give you the look you want.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Lift.

My wife is 40 years older than you and lost 47 pounds last year. At 5'3" and 130 she was pretty happy. We've been lifting for several months now, her weight is the same but she just went from US size 8 to size 4. Weight training is amazing.