Am I Hurting Myself?

Options
My BMR is 1805 and MFP target is 1800. However, my TDEE is 2800 with moderate exercise (3-5 times a week). So if I eat 1800 calories a day, it looks like I have a daily deficit of about 900 calories. That seems like an unhealthy deficit. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Replies

• katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What have you set your weight loss goal at? they say to lose a pound you should take 500 cals of your tdee, so if you have opted for 1.5lbs per week loss it will be more cals off tdee. (thats my understanding of it all anyway!)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for safe weight loss is 1% of body weight a week. A deficit of 1000 calories a day is the setting for 2 pounds a week weight loss, so if you are 200+ pounds you should be just fine.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh and mfp goal is before exercise - if you exercise eat some of those cals back too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    My BMR is 1805 and MFP target is 1800. However, my TDEE is 2800 with moderate exercise (3-5 times a week). So if I eat 1800 calories a day, it looks like I have a daily deficit of about 900 calories. That seems like an unhealthy deficit. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Depends how much you have to lose to whether its an unhealthy deficit?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Remember, this is a marathon not a sprint. YES people have cut at -1000 calories, YES it is possible, though extremely hard to do so and you will feel 'flat' all the time. Most people I know who do this are experienced and have done many bulk and cut cycles before.

I personally would recommend doing -500 calories (unless you are extremely heavy) as this is more sustainable and realistic. Too many times you see people shoot for the moon and give up in 2 weeks.

Pick something you know you can see yourself doing 3 months down the road. I cannot see myself starving for 3 months, but I can see myself cutting -500 calories every day for 3 months, for a weight loss of ~12lbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, you can sustain such a deficit.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm 210 and goal is 190. Seems I might be on the aggressive side, so I might cut back on exercise, because I feel full with my current diet. I would have to eat junk food to consume another 500 calories a day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I'm 210 and goal is 190. Seems I might be on the aggressive side, so I might cut back on exercise, because I feel full with my current diet. I would have to eat junk food to consume another 500 calories a day!

with 20lbs to lose you don't want such a large deficit.

peanut butter is your friend if you're struggling to eat enough, plus full fat dairy, nuts and seeds, avocado, salmon