Gym tips

I go to the gym 3 times a week, but i dont know what i should be doing and how long for, anyone give me advice

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    What is your goal?
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Talk to the staff there. At the gym I used to go to, they could give you a one-off personal training session, included in the membership fee, then I did what they said on my own. The staff there will have ideas of how to get you to your goals.

Without knowing your current weight / level of fitness, what your goals are and what you do / do not enjoy, it will be very hard to give specific advice. The three times a week you go, what do you do there at the moment?
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Hi! I joined the gym recently and this is what my routine looks like (they set this up for me):

10 run to warm up & get the heart rate up
    16 reps on the following machines
    Leg press
    Chest press
    Shoulder press
    Latural pull down

Rower for 500 metres, as quickly as possible (usually manage 2:15) do this twice.

Back to the weights again

20 minutes run (I like running & added this in myself)

TRX apparatus to do core work, this comprises of 4 different exercises (15 reps each, 2-3 times).

Are there any instructors that can guide or help you? It really depends on what you want to achieve as to what you should be doing.

I hope this helps a little
  • lozpotty
    lozpotty Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks so much everyone, i will take this all on board
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Look at this program

The problem with trainers is that it's a crap shoot - they can be some absolutely horrendous ones and you won't really know unless you are more experienced. I find they just want to make you sweat and sore, so you think you're getting a good workout in, but there is no actual planned progression (i.e. increase your lifts by X lbs, or decrease your 5k time by Y seconds.)

The program I linked above is designed for women, and contains both resistance training and cardio. It can be 3 or 4 day a week, and it has a good emphasis on your glutes. I highly suggest you follow it. The thing about novices is that they do not actually know how to make a good, well rounded program, so their best bet is to pick and follow a well designed one.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    If your at the gym why not take advantage of the free weights -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 -- an excellent way for a beginner to get into strength training -- take a spin class or yoga -- don't forget to get in some cardio as well and if you enjoy running start running for distance
  • lozpotty
    lozpotty Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks so much!!!