Two chest strap HRMs at the same time

Options
I take an Orange Theory type class at my gym where the heart rate monitor results are broadcast up on a screen. I have to wear their monitor for it to show up on the screen, which helps the trainers push or control you. The problem is that there is then a hole in my training record on my personal Polar device. Do you see a problem with me wearing both chest straps? I would put mine under my bra band and the other just under. They are different Polar devices. Will they interfere with each other? Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why not wear both and see?
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just curious and tangential to your question but are the OTF heart rate monitors shared or are you assigned one for you and you alone? It can't be hygienic to share unless they wash them after every single use.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If they are both polar, you can sync your watch to the OTF strap.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've worn both Garmin and Polar HRMs straps at the same time to get a comparison. No interference.
    But I'm surprised your Polar watch unit isn't picking up the OTF signal.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If they are both polar, you can sync your watch to the OTF strap.

^^^^

Try that. I would be surprised if it didn't work as I believe the OT strap is made by Polar.
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have tried wearing my watch and it didn't pick up the OT monitor. I'll look into syncing it, but I don't get a lot of time with the monitor before class starts, so for this week, I'll give both a try.
  • sarahearra
    Options
    Chiqui74 wrote: »
    Just curious and tangential to your question but are the OTF heart rate monitors shared or are you assigned one for you and you alone? It can't be hygienic to share unless they wash them after every single use.

My gym, XSport, does wash the straps between every use and the monitors get a quick wet wipe. They also sell the straps and then you can just get a monitor when you get to class. I'm not sure if OTF does it the same way or not.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    sarahearra wrote: »
    I have tried wearing my watch and it didn't pick up the OT monitor. I'll look into syncing it, but I don't get a lot of time with the monitor before class starts, so for this week, I'll give both a try.

I think this thread may be of use to you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10165459/ot-beat-and-my-fitness-pal

Surprisingly, it doesn't look like you can sync the two devices but there is a possible workaround using a smartphone and Polar Beat?
  • sarahearra
    Options
    Thanks!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    No reason you couldn't wear two chest straps if that is what is needed and easiest to do.

With that said, I have a chest strap that pairs with my biking computer (cheap Trek unit) as well as our elliptical (Precor) at the same time. Thought OT might have to worry about crosstalk between machines/users, I don't know that anything is different in the way the machines talk to the chest strap.
  • sarahearra
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot to come back with an update. I have been wearing both trackers and they don't seem to interfere. Also, the treadmills in the class don't seem to have a problem picking one of them up. I can't tell which one because they track each other pretty well. Thanks!