Shin splint recovery

Options
So I have been dancing a lot and now have shin splints. They aren't really recovering and I'm getting worried. Does anyone have tips for recovery and good exercises to do in the mean time?

Replies

• msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ice, elevation, rest, stretching. Do duck walks (walk on the inside of your feet) and walk on the outside of your foot. stretching is very important.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tap your toes when you are sitting.
  • txpopy14
    txpopy14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have shin splints time to time:
    Use a foam roller on outer part of leg that has shin splints. Your IT Band tightens up causing the pain. Laying on you side with the roller under your leg just below your hip. Cross top leg over bottom leg, so foot is flat on floor beside knee. Slowly roll roller down. When you find a spot that hurts, keep the roller there! Yes, it hurts, but hold it there for 15-20 seconds till it subsides. Then continue to roll down and stop at any tender spots. Do the same with other leg.
    Also, lay on your side with leg with shin splints on the top. Do leg lifts with leg straight. You can also use a exercise band around each ankle to provide resistance to strengthen the muscles.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started doing this stretch, and after a few days I have never had problems again. Well, two stretches. First is the easiest, just stand up straight, and sit down as far as you can without falling backwards (keep your heels on the floor and only use your arms to balance, not hold yourself up). You should feel a stretch in the front of your tibia/fibula ie shinbone. I try to hold it for about a minute or so. The second might be hard to explain. Stand with your legs crossed, and bend down to touch your toes. (If you cross your right leg over the left, reach with your left hand to your left toes). Try to keep both soles of your feet as flat as possible. The point of both of these stretches is to stretch the front of your shins. The other stretches listed here are helpful too. The ones I mentioned were told to me by my doctor, and it's weird that I can't find any images of them online, but try them and see. Another one is I think what Chargunshow mentioned: When sitting, keep your heel planted and try really hard to lift your toes as high as possible and hold them for at least 10 - 15 seconds. None of these should be painful, like the roller, which I never tried, they will feel relaxing. Good luck.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints and I use this video to help with recovery. I found the sitting on my feet and raising my knees off the ground the most effective. I hope this helps.
    https://youtu.be/Z2G5WCJBpps
  • KellySheppard01
    KellySheppard01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!