First 5k tomorrow..any tips?

Options
Hey everyone! I never ever ran. Ever. Even in high school, I was running 12 minute miles, simply because I didn't care.

However, since my recent weight loss journey, I've fallen in love with running. I've "trained" for a few months, and I've gotten to the point where I can run three miles in 30 minutes. Not impressive, I know, but I started from scratch, so I'm proud of my accomplishment.

Saturday, I'm running my first 5k! If anyone has any tips, they're greatly appreciated! Also, if you're a cardio maniac, or an aspiring one like me, please add me! I'd love to have friends on here with a similar mindset.

Replies

• NimbleNate
    NimbleNate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You sound like me in high school! I was a cross country dropout on the first day of training. But, like you, I just tried again several years ago and built up to my first 5k. After that, I was hooked. For your race (if you haven't had it already), drink plenty of water and eat carbs that you're comfortable with about an hour or so from race time. You'll do great and feel amazing for finishing!

Feel free to add me as a friend here!
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Stick to your plan for the 5K run.. Visualize the run. Enjoy it!

Work on the Nutrition aspect whatever it is that you have so chosen. Maybe a light breakfast if it's an early morning event.

Stay hydrated before during (maybe) and after.

And most of all congratulations on your progress mate ;)

• Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! Don't start off too fast - and have fun! Feel free to add me as a friend too. Good luck!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sixtine79 wrote: »
    Congrats on your progress! Don't start off too fast - and have fun! Feel free to add me as a friend too. Good luck!

I agree with not starting off too fast. Lots of people will be going (too) fast at first, but don't worry about them. I had little kids lapping me at my first 5K and it was unnerving, but their mothers were dragging them along by the halfway point. This is your race, no one else's! Personally, my goal in all my races is to finish with a smile on my face and it really helps me relax and enjoy the moment. Hope you have a blast!

P.S. Also, try not to do anything different that morning than you usually do when you run. New clothes or shoes or eating something you've never eaten. It probably matters more for longer races, but it's still a good idea. You don't want to be unecessarily distracted by anything.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Is tomorrow Saturday, already?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Last mile hurts!!! Pick someone in front of you and focus on SLOWLY catching up (as if a bungee cord is drawing you closer). This tricks the mind on focusing on things other than lungs and legs. Pick out 30 mins of music with a fast beat. It helps too. (Rockmyrun app is amazing for this).
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Any runs between now and race day should be easy. Don't try to improve your performance.

Don't over hydrate before the race. You don't want to be searching for a restroom when it's time for the race to start.

Lineup between 1/2 & 3/4 of the way back, so that you don't get sucked along by faster runners. It is better to start further back and pass others during the race, than to watch people streaming by you. 5Ks have a lot of walkers, so don't start all the way at the back or you will get stuck behind the walkers.

Run your own race. Don't start off too fast. If someone passes you, let them go. Trying to pass them back will just use up your limited energy too soon.

Just remember that since this is your first 5K race, it will be a PR.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything different to what you usually do. Same food/drink/clothes as your training runs
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Is tomorrow Saturday, already?

I wish!! That would mean that today is Friday, right?
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Get a good night sleep thursday and friday. Heavier on carbs thursday protein the Friday before...stay hydrated but not too much! done overthink the run-itself...when the gun goes off, pace yourself comfortably and HAVE FUN!!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Have fun. That's the most important thing.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I found this helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

And be prepared to feel high for the rest of the day :smiley:
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    • Have fun.
    • Drink till you need to pee, then pee, then drink no more - I've seen so many runners over hydrate and have to stop in the first 200 yrds to off load the excess.
    • Don't go off too fast - take it slow at the start, you can always speed up later when the runners are more spread out.
    • Put your race t-shirt on and rock that *kitten* for the rest of the day.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Oh another - If it's a big field of runners, start somewhere appropriate. If you're stood next to a professional you're probably too far forward and the people behind you are going to get pee'd off having to run around you, but don't start at the back, you'll waste tonnes of time working your way through people who are virtually walking.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it and also, not wanting to sound like I'm having a go at you, but don't in any way shape or form believe that running 5k in 30 minutes is not impresive.

That is an amazing achievement!
  • shan_sel
    shan_sel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know you can lose toenails! Gross I know. But its painful, so I figured I'd give you a warning
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to shoulder check another runner. 5K's can get pretty testy.

J/K.

Just soak up the experience. When you finish, remember where you started from and be grateful of where the process has taken you. You've lost weight and fallen in love with running... you're already so far ahead in the race, brother. (Whew, cheesy.)
    All the best to you this Saturday. :blush:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Like others have said enjoy it first and foremost. You will have a great time!

If you can manage to do a ten minute or so warm up shortly before the gun is due to go off then give that a bash. Many races have that as part of pre race activities and it will help loosen you up and your CV system primed to go right from the off.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    Get a good night sleep thursday and friday. Heavier on carbs thursday protein the Friday before...stay hydrated but not too much! done overthink the run-itself...when the gun goes off, pace yourself comfortably and HAVE FUN!!!!

There is no need to up your carbs or modify your diet prior to a 5K (http://www.runnersworld.com/run-nonstop/fueling-up-for-your-first-5k). You need to be running for more than 90 minutes for there to be any benefit to carb loading.

Besides doing heavy carbs two days out and switching to heavy protein one day out defeats the whole carb loading process (http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/the-right-way-to-carbo-load-before-a-race). Extra protein before a race serves no purpose. Running is fueled primarily by carbs and secondarily by fat.

Protein comes into play after the race when you want to refuel with carbs plus some protein to aid in muscle repair (http://www.runnersworld.com/fuel-school/refuel-to-boost-recovery).
  • rca27801
    rca27801 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thank you for all the support!