Burn more calories than you eat?

Options
HOW?!!! Lol I exercise pretty much 5-6 days a week but I can only do about 30 minutes. How the heck do you burn more calories than you can eat. I'm really trying to keep at a certain calorie goal of 1200 but it's hard. I'm trying to eat what I want but have portion control. Ya I eat chocolate or junk every now and then but mostly healthy foods. But I don't want to starve myself. But anyways for those who burn more calories than you eat how do you do it? What do you eat? How long do you exercise? Feels like you would have to exercise all day.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your body burns calories regardless of whether or not you exercise.

eating less than you burn is easy.

enter your stats in mfp. eat the number of calories it gives you.

done.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    HOW?!!! Lol I exercise pretty much 5-6 days a week but I can only do about 30 minutes. How the heck do you burn more calories than you can eat. I'm really trying to keep at a certain calorie goal of 1200 but it's hard. I'm trying to eat what I want but have portion control. Ya I eat chocolate or junk every now and then but mostly healthy foods. But I don't want to starve myself. But anyways for those who burn more calories than you eat how do you do it? What do you eat? How long do you exercise? Feels like you would have to exercise all day.

Look up your BMR (basal metabolic rate). That's what your body burns even if you don't get out of bed all day. But you do get out of bed & move. That additional activity is called your activity level.

MFP gives you a calorie deficit with zero exercise factored in. Not everyone is capable of exercise. MFP starts at your activity level and then takes a deficit.

Put your stats in MFP......choose a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (see below) and eat that many calories. If you choose exercise, log it & MFP will give you bonus calories. But, be aware calorie burns are often generous estimates. Most people eat back only 50-75% of their exercise calories.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You don't need to burn all those calories through exercise! You're burning calories all the time by breathing, digesting, working, doing chores, etc. As @callsitlikeiseeit said, just eat the number of calories MFP gives you.

Try calculating your BMR (google BMR calculator) to get an idea of how many calories you burn just by existing.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ditto to the advice above. But to explain it a bit more, there is something called BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is what you burn just living. You burn calories sleeping, sitting, talking, breathing, etc. So when you plug your stats into MFP, you are getting your BMR considered. You also have a TDEE number, which is your total daily energy expenditure, and takes into account your extra activities. When you look at that number, you need to eat less than that to be at a deficit. This is also taken into account on the MFP calculator (which is why they ask you about your activity level).

So it's VERY easy to eat at a deficit and you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Do some google searches and look more into BMR and TDEE if that will help you :)

EDIT- it took me too long to type so haha, now I see (after I posted) some good advice above explaining it a bit better.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Others have already covered the fact that you burn calories simply by being alive (BMR) and with all the non-exercise activity you do (NEAT) and with ALL activity including exercise (TDEE).

I also wanted to comment that many people can lose weight eating more than 1200 calories, and depending on your current stats - height/weight/goal weight/rate of loss - you may have selected a goal that is too aggressive to be sustainable.

• BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How do you calculate your BMR?
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Plan what you're going to eat BEFORE you start eating for the day. I know what my evening meal will be I add that first, along with my breakfast because I only have 2 choices. Easy. Then what you've got left is for lunch and snacks. If you don't want to plan your snacks, at least know how many calories you have left and the calorie value of things you like to snack on. If at all possible I don't eat my exercise calories back I use that as my deficit. My goal is 1300 calories a day. Works for me, good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

BMR actually isn't a helpful metric since it measures the amount of calories you would burn if you did nothing but lay in bed all day - what you really want to calculate in order to determine how many calories you need to eat less than is your TDEE.

This site will give you both, as well as projected calories to eat based on a loss goal.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

However, MFP will also calculate the non-exercise calorie goal for you and would have done that when you set up your profile, then when you exercise and log that, you would eat back a portion of those calories (some eat back about 50% to adjust for inflation of calorie burns).

• BeaUtiful_1413
    Options
    What's a good site to check BMR? I go to different ones and they all tell me something different. I'm 21, 5ft, 168lbs need to lose 30+lbs
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    Options
    I really like this thank you!
    WinoGelato wrote: »

BMR actually isn't a helpful metric since it measures the amount of calories you would burn if you did nothing but lay in bed all day - what you really want to calculate in order to determine how many calories you need to eat less than is your TDEE.

This site will give you both, as well as projected calories to eat based on a loss goal.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

However, MFP will also calculate the non-exercise calorie goal for you and would have done that when you set up your profile, then when you exercise and log that, you would eat back a portion of those calories (some eat back about 50% to adjust for inflation of calorie burns).

• BeaUtiful_1413
    Options
    3qb7o349t0ha.png
  • TeaBea
    Options
    What's a good site to check BMR? I go to different ones and they all tell me something different. I'm 21, 5ft, 168lbs need to lose 30+lbs

The Scooby's site WinoGelato posted above

BMR + Activity Level + Exercise = TDEE (maintenance). Take calories away from TDEE and you lose weight

All sites are going to offer slight variations. They are all estimates. Just pick ONE, at take a deficit from that. An exact measure would have you hooked up to monitors in a laboratory.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    Options
    What's the total intake I need based on the picture
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Plug those stats into MFP with a goal of losing 1lb per week, and an activity level of sedentary. Log all your exercise, and eat back 50% of the calories MFP gives you from it. In 4 weeks, look at your progress. Are you losing an average of 1lb per week? More? Less? Tweak accordingly.
  • TeaBea
    edited March 2016
    Options

Less than 1804. If you eat 1,443 you would lose .722 pounds per week.

The math is: 1804-1443 = a 361 calorie deficit each day. 361 x 7 = a 2,527 weekly deficit. 2527/3500 = .722 pounds per week

• WinoGelato
    Options
    OP - there are two ways of doing this, one is to go by your TDEE (which is the site I provided you which says that if you eat anything less than 1804 you should lose weight), the other is to use the MFP approach which doesn't include exercise in the goal it provides you, but when you do exercise and eat back those calories - it should take you to the same overall number as the TDEE approach.

For simplicity, I usually advise people just starting out to go with the MFP method - enter your stats, a goal of 1lb/week weight loss, and eat back your exercise calories. Log everything you eat, ideally with a food scale. Give it 4-6 weeks and if you aren't losing, or if you are losing too quickly, then adjust accordingly.

You will also find good advice in this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    Options
    Ok I put it into MFP and it gave me calories of 1510. So if I eat around there or even 1443 I'll be good. I've been trying to eat around 1200 everyday so now I see why I've been so hungry. I've been under eating.
    TeaBea wrote: »

The math is: 1804-1443 = a 361 calorie deficit each day. 361 x 7 = a 2,527 weekly deficit. 2527/3500 = .722 pounds per week

• TeaBea
    Options
    Ok I put it into MFP and it gave me calories of 1510. So if I eat around there or even 1443 I'll be good. I've been trying to eat around 1200 everyday so now I see why I've been so hungry. I've been under eating.
    TeaBea wrote: »

Yep - this is good.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

First, if 1200 is too restrictive, try 1300. Depending on your height you will most likely still lose weight, just a tad more slowly. But you'll be able to maintain this longer term.

What to eat: to stick to your daily calories while not feeling hungry all the time, make sure you are eating a good mix of protein, carbs and fat at every meal. At least 20 percent fat, usually. On MFP, go to " nutrition" to see your macronutrients (macros), which is your percentages of protein, fat and carbs. You can reset these to whatever you want if you don't like MFP's default. It's the daily total that's most important. Protein and fat help you feel full, and longer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options

All the work has been done for you by Myfitnesspal. Just eat your calorie goal, and note the list above about the maximum number of pounds per week you can lose depending on how much you have to lose. If you were set at 1200 calories by MFP, it is likely your weight loss goal per week is too aggressive.