Replace protein bar with?

Options
hopper602
hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
I religiously eat a pure protein bar for a snack every day between bfast and lunch. While it provides decent macros I'd prefer to find something less processed. Any ideas? Preferably something lower carb with protein and quick/easy. I'll pretty much try anything as long as it fits my macros.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nuts are your friends!
    Or, beef jerky if you don't mind how expensive it can get/ if you eat meat.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You could also make your own granola/protein bars. There are lots of healthy recipes for them online.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What about a couple of hardboiled eggs and some string cheese?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna or sardines :smile:
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2% Cottage cheese - 1/2 cup = approximately 10g protein, 2.5g Fat, 7g carbs. I add different herbs and spices for flavor. Fresh dill is great in cottage cheese!
  • hopper602
    Options
    Great ideas! Love the jerky but damn it gets expensive. Hard boiled eggs would be a great idea for morning when I don't eat eggs for bfast. Never even crossed my mind I could make my own bars lol.
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs or string cheese? I've been making myself lettuce wraps for lunch. They are easy and I could eat them everyday (I just might, lol). Basically I just get some romaine lettuce and lay it out then put whatever I'm having on top and gently roll it up into a wrap. Buffalo chicken deli meat with avocado is my favorite right now :)
  • hopper602
    Options
    I do eat string cheese a lot as well but usually later in the day or with my lunch. Cottage cheese is sort of a textural issue for me unless I add cantaloupe but maybe I'll just man up and eat it.
  • hopper602
    Options
    Thanks everyone this was very helpful.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Go back to the portable basics like meats, cheese, eggs and nuts. If you have a spoon then cottage cheese or Greek yogurt could be welcome variations.

As far as jerky goes, make it yourself. You don't need a fancy drying machine. Just your oven and some foil will do the trick. Get the meat you want and have the butcher slice it to your desired thickness. Then marinade it (there are recipies galore out there) and put on the rack. I like buying pork belly at Costco, using a little liquid smoke and real maple syrup for a marinade. I then put a crust of fresh black pepper on the top with a little salt (to cut the sweet). Put it in the oven and let it go for 8 to 12 hours. You are left with Pork Belly Jerky.... it is SOOOO good.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Chicken tenderloins with dressing
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good recipes online for making your own protein bars and muffins.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I buy these ready made mexican blend tuna salad cans (no mayo) which come with a spork and can be eaten right out of the can. The carb content mainly comes from beans and vegetables. If you can find these, they are very convenient.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt and oats or fruit or nuts
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Dannon greek light - 80 calories, 12 g protein, sweet (or not - depends on which you choose) Good option if you've got a sweet tooth, but doesn't satisfy a "chew" yearning. Then you may want to look into making your own bars as someone suggested earlier. I think some of the whey brands provide recipes if you want to boost the protein that way. http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/homemade-protein-bar-recipes/ is one source. You may have to adjust serving size to match your calorie goal.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I also keep canned sardines and tuna in my desk drawer at work for a quick protein snack. Canned chicken, salmon, etc would also work well.

I don't generally do dairy by itself because of the carbs and sugars, but it's not bad in a pinch. I just think that you'll get more bang for your buck from meats, eggs, etc.