FIt bit or Garmin ?

Options
Tans40
Tans40 Posts: 11 Member
Hi I was am looking into purchasing either a fitbit or garmin vivofit. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Vivofit. I had a Garmin Fenix but honestly, it was just too big for my tiny wrist and I was always banging it on things and bruising my wrist. I sold it to a friend before I had a chance to break it.
    I went Garmin because it's completely waterproof- I don't need to worry about it when I'm swimming or soaking in the hot tub or walking in the rain.

Downsides: Because it's wrist-worn, it doesn't calculate things like shopping if I'm pushing a cart, or using my stride-stepper without the arm-bars, (and even if I do use the arm-bars, it doesn't pick up enough motion to consider me 'highly active', even though I'm working it hard. If you do a lot of aerobic, like biking, swimming, etc, where you aren't swinging your arms with every step, you probably want to get a heart-rate monitor to go with it. I use the HRM once in a while to get 'baseline' burn for what I'm doing.

Upsides: Completely waterproof, syncs directly to my computer as long as I have an internet connection (I don't carry a smart-phone), small and comfortable to wear.
  • Tans40
    Tans40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I have heard good about both now it's just deciding. And for some reason I'm struggling @ElizabethOakes2
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Neither, get a polar and the H7
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but I wish I would have gotten a Garmin. Everyone I know loves there's!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit but the d***ed thing kept dying and the company had to keep replacing it. I had to charge it all the time and it was more trouble than it's worth. I have a Misfit-Swarovski Shine now, I have to change the batteries about every 6 months (they're about $4 for 2 batteries) and I never have to take it off. I swim 2 days a week, too and the fitbit wouldn't track that but the Misfit will. I don't know much about the Garmin, just that I would not get another fitbit.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Polar loop on the wrist and a Polar H7 HRM when I work out. They are waterproof which is nice.

When I researched activity trackers last year, I found that the Fitbit was a little gimmicky for me (it will tell you things like you have now walked xx,xxx steps which is the length of Japan but it is not very accurate for HR). The Garmins are great if you run and like the GPS functions.

In the end you need to look at what type of exercise you do and what you want in an activity tracker.
  • CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit and I love it! I got it in November 2014 and still haven't had to change the battery! It is super motivating and I love the display.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tans40 wrote: »
    Hi I was am looking into purchasing either a fitbit or garmin vivofit. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Depends.

Do you need the social reinforcement to keep active?

If so, Fitbit has the market cornered here, hands down over Garmin. Fitbit is the "Facebook" of activity tracking.

Do you need something that is waterproof?

If so, Garmin is the way to go. I've heard more than one story about fitbits zapping their users during long runs.

Do you want an activity tracker, or a run/swim watch?

Activity tracker only? Fitbit is probably better, if you don't care about water/sweat proof. Garmin has it beat.

Do you want tightly integrated calorie tracking with the device?

If so, fitbit is the way to go. Garmin connects MFP integration is, lacking, to say the least. I mean, it works, but fitbit's web app is better.

Do you want to be able to analyze your activities in-depth?

Garmin is the way to go.

Do you need smart-watch features?

If so, Garmin is the way to go, here. Fitbit's smart watch features are lacking.

Do you need the HRM?

If so, Fitbit is the way to go. Most Garmin devices require an external HRM. However, wrist-based HRMs are notoriously inaccurate.

Do you need GPS?

If yes, Garmin has your card. Hands down, no argument. Garmin is the leader in GPS devices.

Me? I went with the Garmin Vivoactive: Long battery life, always-on display, built-in GPS, waterproof/sweatproof, and is mostly a running watch, with step tracking and some smart watch features.
  • timothyrock62
    timothyrock62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR and love it. The heart rate is not accurate but the steps and intensity training are well done. Connected to the computer or smart phone is well done. As a tool to help in weight loss it has been the best. Now as for fitbit or garmin, Fitbit site is better but armband is not. My family has 3 Garmins me and my daughter vivosmart hr and my wife vivfit and we love them.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I went with the Garmin Vivofit 2 because it has a watch battery and I don't have to charge it every day. I can also go swimming with it.
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin vivosmart and it has mostly perks and some downsides. It stays charged for a week at a time, has been through mud runs and water sports and heavy sweating for a year and still going strong, its small and the strap stays put without popping off, the app gets better with every update and it links well through here. Downside is that it is about .25 miles off on steps and calorie burn is way off. I intend to upgrade to the Garmin 235 eventually because of all the extra's.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm a Garmin fan.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only fitbit user here, lol.

I've had my Charge HR for about a year. I really like it. The charge holds pretty well if you don't have the bluetooth all-day sync on (I don't since I've got a cheap phone and it's not compatible). The wristband is sturdy. It doesn't measure steps if you are pushing a cart so I put it in my pocket or clip to my belt loop. It's splashproof but not showerproof. The fitbit app is great, there are all sorts of charts and things you can measure, steps, calories, stairs, heart rate (with the HR model), and sleep. You can set goals for each of those metrics. It also syncs with mfp so it'll carry over your meals and mfp will give you calories back if you walk enough. I don't treat the calorie burn or the heart rate as gospel but it's nice to have a ballpark figure.

Just my 2 cents.
  • LiftLink
    LiftLink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently developing a fitness tracker for gym use and I would be interested to hear your thoughts. http://www.liftlinkfitness.com/