Low carb diet help

Options
So I decided to try a low carb diet but my go-to breakfast is always fruit which is pretty high in sugars and carbs. Any ideas and what else I could try that won't put me way over in protein?? :(

Replies

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want something low in carbs and low in protein then the only thing you could eat is something high in fat.

You might try avocados.

But really, if you go low carb you should probably substitute the loss with higher protein. I'm not an expert though.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Why limit protein? The only other variable you can adjust is fat, and I'd doubt you'd want to mainline butter on its own.

Personally I love a nice poached or baked egg. Some coffee with some cream can also add calories.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Omelette
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you reduce carbs you have to increase protein and / or fats. Eat bacon and eggs, acovados, bacon, sausage, tofu.
  • Ge0rgiapeache
    Ge0rgiapeache Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's what I always thought but when I log my meals it tells me in crazy over in protein...
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You need to check your macronutrient percentages under "goals".
  • Ge0rgiapeache
    Ge0rgiapeache Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! What should they be set to? Sorry, I'm new to this app and low carb thing lol ....
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Diets based on the restriction of a particular macronutrient are a bad idea. Carbohydrates have never made anybody overweight. Calorie surpluses (which may have involved an excess of carbs) have. Limiting carbs is simply an indirect way for people to try to fall out of a calorie surplus and into a deficit to burn fat. But, carbs are needed by the body, just like protein and fat are. Do this:
    1. Ditch the "low carb" philosophy
    2. Calculate your TDEE
    3. Subtract 500 from this number, and eat that many calories per day
    4. Set protein to 1g per pound of lean mass (how much you weigh with 0% fat)
    5. 20%-30% of your calories should come from fat
    6. The rest of your calories will be carbs, up to the point of your calorie ceiling for the day
    7. Allow one reasonable cheat meal per week
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I decided to try a low carb diet but my go-to breakfast is always fruit which is pretty high in sugars and carbs. Any ideas and what else I could try that won't put me way over in protein?? :(

Low carb - 5 or 10% of calories for keto, up to 20% for a more relaxed approach.

Protein - 20 or 25%, maybe 30 or 35% but not higher.

Fat - the rest to make 100%. Ignore any broscience BS that relates fat to bodyweight. To go low carb you're replacing carbs as the filler in the diet with fats.

In the first two weeks avoid sugars and starches as much as you can, limiting them to non-starchy vegetables. Increase your salt intake a couple of grams a day especially at the lower carb intake levels.

Eat sensible portions of meat or fish - about 4 ozs / 113g per meal - and choose higher fat / oil options. No diet foods, lean, lite etc. Chicken and tuna aren't a good fit.

Eggs and hard cheeses have a good ratio of fat to protein so a cheese omelette with spinach and mushrooms is a breakfast option.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But, carbs are needed by the body, just like protein and fat are.

There is no requirement to eat carbohydrates, according to EFSA, the IOM and various other bodies, but that's not a topic for this thread you can do that in Nutrition Debates.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Low carb - 5 or 10% of calories for keto, up to 20% for a more relaxed approach.

Protein - 20 or 25%, maybe 30 or 35% but not higher.

Fat - the rest to make 100%. Ignore any broscience BS that relates fat to bodyweight. To go low carb you're replacing carbs as the filler in the diet with fats.

In the first two weeks avoid sugars and starches as much as you can, limiting them to non-starchy vegetables. Increase your salt intake a couple of grams a day especially at the lower carb intake levels.

Eat sensible portions of meat or fish - about 4 ozs / 113g per meal - and choose higher fat / oil options. No diet foods, lean, lite etc. Chicken and tuna aren't a good fit.

Eggs and hard cheeses have a good ratio of fat to protein so a cheese omelette with spinach and mushrooms is a breakfast option.

Excellent!!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical reason you need to eat a low-carb diet, then by all means please continue. However, if you're trying a low-carb diet for the sole purpose of weight loss, please stop. You do not need to go low-carb to lose weight, all you need is to eat at a calorie deficit. Also, there is nothing wrong with going over in protein, as long as you're not going over your calorie limit.
  • herrerajr693
    herrerajr693 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    If you have a medical reason you need to eat a low-carb diet, then by all means please continue. However, if you're trying a low-carb diet for the sole purpose of weight loss, please stop. You do not need to go low-carb to lose weight, all you need is to eat at a calorie deficit. Also, there is nothing wrong with going over in protein, as long as you're not going over your calorie limit.

This^
    I've been having between 200g protein, 180 carbs, and 70g fat a day and have been losing a pound to 2 pounds a week. Low carb is good on rest days maybe but other than that it comes down to how many calories you eat versus burn.
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe a veggie omelette
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    When calories are the only factor in weight loss, do you really want to go on a low carb route that limits FRUIT? When has fruit made us fat and ridden with disease? If you don't have medical reasons for going there, why do it..?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cry for the beautiful fruit.

If you must go low carb, you can have eggs. You may add vegetables.

A lovely breakfast might be fruit and Greek Yogurt. My mouth waters.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When calories are the only factor in weight loss, do you really want to go on a low carb route that limits FRUIT? When has fruit made us fat and ridden with disease? If you don't have medical reasons for going there, why do it..?

On the other hand, why not have something more filling? When I have fruit for breakfast, I pair it with nuts or nut butter. It can also help to stick to higher fiber fruits.
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have eggbeaters several days a week. very low in calories.
  • antonina395
    antonina395 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try 3 boiled eggs take out the yolk with salsa or with low calorie Swiss laughing cow cheese. It very yummy especially when the egg whites are stuffed with the laughing cow cheese. Even my kids like it.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like bacon and cabbage (weird sounding, I know) as one of my favorite breakfasts (other than regular leftovers).. Lately I eat some Fiber One with Almond milk and then a hard boiled egg and half an avocado or whatever else I have to get me my protein and fat. Then again, I've never been a fruit or yogurt for breakfast, or breakfast food in general, kind of person. Once you get used to low carb, berries are okay, but you'll likely also find a lot of sweets, including fruit, to be too sweet. I know I do.