Is fruit necessary for a healthy diet?

youngandaspiringxo
youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm trying to lose weight and I'm mostly just eating fruit, vegetables, chicken, and fish. However even just eating 1 cup of grapes I'm almost at my max sugar intake for the day. Is fruit even necessary? It just seems to add on a lot of sugar and carbs. Would I get better results in my diet without eating it?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It's not necessary at all but perfectly fine as long as it fits in your calories.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Why are those things the only things you're eating? You can eat WHATEVER you want and lose weight as long as you are in a deficit. Fruit is healthy and nutritious and as long as you don't have reason to limit it (diabetes) then there is NO reason to limit or eliminate fruit from your diet. Pay attention to other macros instead of sugar.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    I think the sugar from fruit is different than eating processed sugar and you won't gain weight from it. Calories in, calories out. That's all!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    nm212 wrote: »
    I think the sugar from fruit is different than eating processed sugar and you won't gain weight from it. Calories in, calories out. That's all!

Any type of food can lead to weight gain if consuming it leads you to take in more calories than you burn. This includes fruit.
  • youngandaspiringxo
    Why are those things the only things you're eating? You can eat WHATEVER you want and lose weight as long as you are in a deficit. Fruit is healthy and nutritious and as long as you don't have reason to limit it (diabetes) then there is NO reason to limit or eliminate fruit from your diet. Pay attention to other macros instead of sugar.

Because I didn't see any weight loss while eating things such as rice, bread, potatoes, pasta etc. Also, I have a hard time eating those in moderation. It's easier for me to just not eat them at all. Maybe once I gain more will power further into this diet I can start adding more foods in. Only a month and a half in and 8 pounds down so everything now is just trial and error.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Because I didn't see any weight loss while eating things such as rice, bread, potatoes, pasta etc. Also, I have a hard time eating those in moderation. It's easier for me to just not eat them at all. Maybe once I gain more will power further into this diet I can start adding more foods in. Only a month and a half in and 8 pounds down so everything now is just trial and error.

Are you using a food scale? Sometimes when we don't use a food scale with calorie-dense items like rice, bread, potatoes, and pasta, we're eating a lot more than we think we are and this can lead us to think that we can't lose weight while eating these foods.
  • youngandaspiringxo

Are you using a food scale? Sometimes when we don't use a food scale with calorie-dense items like rice, bread, potatoes, and pasta, we're eating a lot more than we think we are and this can lead us to think that we can't lose weight while eating these foods.

Nope I don't have one! I just measure things in cups and tablespoons.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Nope I don't have one! I just measure things in cups and tablespoons. [/quote

You should get one. You'd be amazed at how inaccurate measuring cups are when it comes to measuring your food.as another poster said this could be why you feel you can't lose weight eating rice, pasta etc.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    I don't like fruit generally, except for the occasional banana. Nutritionist said that was ok, just make sure I get a variety of vegetables. My mom and a few other family members have diabetes, so I watch my sugar and carb intake, as I do not want to get diabetes. So I made the choice to eat 45 carbs per meal and no fruit (which I wasn't really eating anyway).
  • masaku88
    masaku88 Posts: 2 Member
    Please keep eating fruit. Its full of vitamins and nutrients. The sugar is natural and good for your body. I used to be really against carbs and sugars and i was literally miserable and lethargic all the time. Now i have a fruit smoothie in the morning every morning and i feel great. I dont have cravings, i dont over eat anymore on sweets and cookies. Its really great. Give it a try.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    I could eat pounds of fruit, so I have cut back. Especially grapes, it seems, a small 5 oz serving is almost 100 calories and 22 g of sugar. And I could eat 4 or 5 of those if eating mindlessly! Berries seem to be less calorie/sugar dense. 4 oz of raspberries only has 60 calories and 4 g of sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I'm trying to lose weight and I'm mostly just eating fruit, vegetables, chicken, and fish. However even just eating 1 cup of grapes I'm almost at my max sugar intake for the day. Is fruit even necessary? It just seems to add on a lot of sugar and carbs. Would I get better results in my diet without eating it?

I think you've gotten some good advice across both of your threads on this, but I just wanted to touch on a couple of things.

The diet you're describing here would be very low in fat. Your body needs some fat for things like hormone balance and vitamin absorption. Make sure you're getting enough.

And two, I agree with those saying you don't need to worry about the sugars, but if you choose to then grapes are one of the highest sugar fruit. If you decide to watch your sugar (and you don't have to if you don't want/need to) then there are lots of lower sugar fruit options.
  • youngandaspiringxo

I think you've gotten some good advice across both of your threads on this, but I just wanted to touch on a couple of things.

The diet you're describing here would be very low in fat. Your body needs some fat for things like hormone balance and vitamin absorption. Make sure you're getting enough.

And two, I agree with those saying you don't need to worry about the sugars, but if you choose to then grapes are one of the highest sugar fruit. If you decide to watch your sugar (and you don't have to if you don't want/need to) then there are lots of lower sugar fruit options.

Thanks for the advice! I get fat from nuts and avocado.
  • youngandaspiringxo
    And thanks for whoever marked this thread as spam??? Lol
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    If the goal is limit your sugar to less than 10% of your calories or less, this refers to added sugars not sugars from natural sources like fruit. Of course maintain your caloric deficit
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    You don't need to eat fruit for a healthy diet, but there's lots of vitamins, other nutrients, fiber and antioxidant benefits you'll be missing. Fruit also makes for great "treats" or even dessert, just because it's so sweet! Yum.

Don't be afraid of fruit sugars, they are awesome and they keep us going!