Can't get enough food to reach my goal :(

Anyone had some issue? It seems impossible to eat all that food to reach over 3000 cal.
I guess my digestive system didn't take it well either as it made me feel sick. I don't tend to eat bad food either and I am not a meat lover...
Any suggestions?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    No suggestions. I am sorry. I wish I could give you the extra calories I'd like to eat :(
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Nuts, full fat dairy, cheese, peanut butter, cooking with real butter... I miss these things but it sounds like you could use them :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    what do you mean by 'bad' food? there is nothing wrong with calorie dense food if you need to fill your cals/macros.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    How about a nice piece of cheesecake?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2016
    You can drink more calories to meet your goal, too. Doesn't have to be just food. Whole milk, juice, etc.
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    I like you was struggling to reach 3000, until I started eating more fruit, almonds, raisens, yoghurt and more recently found cranberry juice has lots of calories. Now I'm easily hitting 3500cals
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    edited March 2016
    Sitting here pounding peanuts! Tasty and full of yummy goodness. PS I am having trouble eating 2000. It is all relative. We can reach our goal!!
  • jesiriehl
    jesiriehl Posts: 1 Member
    How can I get more calories eaten without going over my fat intake? Any suggestions?
  • dnt0
    dnt0 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks you all For the great suggestions but I have still a bit of a struggle with some food.
    I am intolerant to milk and cream so ice creams, yogurt and all of that is a no no ( I don't want to seat on the loo 24/7 )
    About sugars: they age skin and organs and I am concern about diabete if I really start that huge intake...
    Red meat makes me anxious and ruins my sleep pattern a lot.
    Is my body so inefficient that needs litres of fuel to substain itself?
  • psuLemon
    Sugar doesn't age skin and organs (hell, I am in my mid 30's and still get carded... thank you genetics) and it does not cause diabetes. BTW, if you look at the list I posted above, you will see a lot of foods that you can eat. Based on your limitations; bagels, pancakes, waffles, avocado, oils, and dark fishes will be your primary driver.

Out of curiosity, if you are willing to get into it, how does red meat make you anxious (I only ask because I have never heard of it)? Does lamb, bison, elk, etc.. all provide the same response to cow?

Your body isn't inefficient, it might appear that you have a lot of self limiting factors.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    It doesn't sound like your heart is in it to be honest. If you have legitimate dietary restrictions, it's no good giving yourself even more restrictions by refusing to eat 'bad' food.

You're either prepared to eat a lot and gain, or you're not going to gain at all.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Read this: http://www.muscleforlife.com/food-to-gain-weight/

Drink fruit juice, eat peanut butter and simple carbs!!
  • dnt0
    What about cholesterol ? Should I consider being healthier than looking good? And I am confused: do those things can meet up half way?
    Example: I have just eaten 300g of goat cheese with 320 g of sweet potatoes... It was a bit yuk lol
  • dnt0
    Thanks for your list psulemon, it is really good and noticed I can take a lot from it.
    As I am running an half marathon I noticed I looked tired and going to the gym to my usual workout just made it worst. My partner is trying to loose wait and got this app. I noticed I could have used the same but for the opposite reason.
    When I eat something I like to feel clean inside: I do my smoothies with everything in it. I usually substitute meat with spirulina as I found out my digestive system gets upset heavier to digest is the meat,so this happens especially with beef or pork ( which I totally try to avoid now). It's more difficult to get dear or sort of same meat like horse here so I never bothered to look deeply.
    When my digestive system is upset as being given too much to coop with it makes me anxious and I will have a terrible night asleep or I won't sleep at all. So I could eventually have meet in the morning but really doesn't feel right..
    So I have this dilemma.
    I don't really feel that hungry all the time.. And as soon as I put weight I loose it.. Practically I've been having the same weight for at least 13 years.. Always 73kg.
  • psuLemon
    dnt0 wrote: »
    What about cholesterol ? Should I consider being healthier than looking good? And I am confused: do those things can meet up half way?
    Example: I have just eaten 300g of goat cheese with 320 g of sweet potatoes... It was a bit yuk lol

Dietary cholesterol doesn't impact cholesterol in the body. Minimizing fat/obesity, exercise and eating an overall diet as mentioned above should help mitigate your concerns. There is a lot of research thats supports that unsaturated fats can support heart health.

For carbs, you can also add things like quinoa, couscous, oatmeal with protein powders and add in fruits (especially high GI/high sugar ones), rice (mix with eggs) and use marinades on chicken and/fish.
  • austencpogue
    austencpogue Posts: 1 Member
    Others have already posted great advice. It really comes down to finding the most calorie rich foods that you enjoy and can tolerate and making them your go to. Mine is sweet potato, nut butters, and cream (you might try goat milk if you have access to it). Don't worry too much about exceeding your recommended fat intake if it is coming from good fats such as olive oil, nut butters, coconut oil, grass fed butter, ect.... Over the last few months I've been doubling my daily recommended fat intake while improving body composition. Good luck with your goals.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Have a really strong biological feedback system that keeps you at a stable healthy weight is a dream goal for many. I would consider the possible negatives of forcing yourself to eat more to gain weight if it is messing with your digestive system and mental equilibrium. Are the benefits of gaining weight really there for you?
  • dnt0
    I don't know :( would I really have benefit in having more fat around me? As u can see from my body pic I think atm I have none... I am so lean that I really don't know how I manage running for 2 hrs and doing a full workout of 600cal the days I don't run... In all honesty it started to concern me beaches I noticed I cannot tolerate cold or hot as I really have no fats for insulation. Since I started counting my calories I have found out that I am under my normal intake of more than 1800 cal per day.. Before starting counting I was under 2000+ cal...
    How the hell did I survive?
    So I am asking myself: maybe I should consider to eat what I should eat and since I started to eat more I just visit the toilet more than 4 times a day...
    I just weighted myself i am still 73.5kg
    So maybe I should change my goal to try to maintain my weight but how will I build up mass at the gym?
    I was watching trustmeiamadoctor and there wasn't much evidence that more proteins Intake (proteins shakes) is actually responsible for growing muscles...
  • psuLemon
    dnt0 wrote: »
    I don't know :( would I really have benefit in having more fat around me? As u can see from my body pic I think atm I have none... I am so lean that I really don't know how I manage running for 2 hrs and doing a full workout of 600cal the days I don't run... In all honesty it started to concern me beaches I noticed I cannot tolerate cold or hot as I really have no fats for insulation. Since I started counting my calories I have found out that I am under my normal intake of more than 1800 cal per day.. Before starting counting I was under 2000+ cal...
    How the hell did I survive?
    So I am asking myself: maybe I should consider to eat what I should eat and since I started to eat more I just visit the toilet more than 4 times a day...
    I just weighted myself i am still 73.5kg
    So maybe I should change my goal to try to maintain my weight but how will I build up mass at the gym?
    I was watching trustmeiamadoctor and there wasn't much evidence that more proteins Intake (proteins shakes) is actually responsible for growing muscles...

If you want to gain mass, you want to be in a surplus. If you get to a point where you have too much fat, in your opinion, you can cut back down.