Issues with feet after weight loss. (I know...this sounds weird.)

We have hard laminate floors on the main floor of our house. I've noticed that since losing weight, walking around on those floors in socks or barefooted actually causes me some pain. It's not on the balls of my feet or the arches, but rather on the outside joint of my foot--like the area on the bottom of my foot that's above the pinky toe.

I have NEVER had this issue with my feet before. I used to have some issues with plantar fasciitis, but those problems were corrected by wearing inserts for awhile. This is a pain I'm not familiar with. I have two theories--either the weight loss is causing me to have less padding on the bottom of my foot, or it's causing me to walk differently. I have a feeling it may be the first thing, because when I was shopping for a new pair of shoes over the weekend, I noticed I no longer needed the "Wide" variety anymore. The normal width fit me a lot better.

Anyone have this issue? I'm not sure there's much I can do about it other than always wear shoes around the house.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You could also have lost fat due to aging. Do you have a podiatrist? He could give you an injection.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    You could also have lost fat due to aging. Do you have a podiatrist? He could give you an injection.

Well, I do, but this doesn't feel like that kind of issue. It just feels like the bottom of my foot is bonier. Just like how my butt has less padding now that I'm much smaller, so hard chairs and bleachers hurt my butt because I can actually feel my bones hitting the thing I'm sitting on. The foot thing I'm feeling feels similar to that. Like there's just not as much padding there anymore.

I probably should go and get it looked at. I was just wondering if anyone else who's lost a lot has had the same issue.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I did ballet for most of my life, all through college and for a little while after. I have bones sticking out of my feet in the same area you describe, that have always hurt when walking on hard surfaces because there is no protection on them. I tend to wear slippers in the house a lot because it can cause pain after a while.
  • Domicinator
    I did ballet for most of my life, all through college and for a little while after. I have bones sticking out of my feet in the same area you describe, that have always hurt when walking on hard surfaces because there is no protection on them. I tend to wear slippers in the house a lot because it can cause pain after a while.

Good to know--I think aside from ripping my floors out and redoing them again, my memory foam Skechers are going to be the best solution. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I never go barefoot on hard surfaces anymore. I associate it with getting older.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Depending on how much weight you've lost you may be distributing your weight on your feet differently. I would suggest going to a podiatrist and then, if possible/necessary, a physical therapist (or movement therapist) to work on how you're walking. I've had a lot of feet issues in the last few years and it's only been in the last 6 months that I've come to realize the problems are solvable and not something I have to suffer through. In the meantime wearing slippers or thick socks inside may help.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    I don't have pain, but my shoes are bigger... didn't think losing weight would make that much of a difference in my shoe size... my feet weren't fat before, they've always had a bony structure to them, but now my shoes are too big! So yeah, I guess losing weight does change your feet!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Maybe drop foot?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    When I lost weight the way my weight was distributed on my foot was different and I had to stop wearing some of my favourite shoes because they were killing me, mostly the same area as you. Never had an issue barefoot though.
  • marshrijssenbeek
    marshrijssenbeek Posts: 1 Member
    Google Raynauds Syndrome. See if that sounds familiar. My cardiologist told me it is common after weight loss. Sorry to disagree with everyone who is recommending podiatrists, physical therapists, etc., but I strongly recommend you get a diagnosis from an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in feet before you let anyone start sticking needles in you. That has been known to cause scar tissue which will only add to your problems.
  • Domicinator
    All useful suggestions and insights--thanks everyone!
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    You could always try a padded slipper instead of a full on shoe if you don't want to wear shoes around the house?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I, too, was a dancer when I was younger. When we moved to this house, walking on the original hardwood floors was killing my poor feet. Thick fluffy socks (I like the Wigwam Socks from Northwest) are my go-to. I'm wearing them right now!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    I agree that you shouldn't get injections unless absolutely necessary. Although the only medical professional who wanted to give me injections was an orthopedic surgeon. He was strongly advocating for surgery but offered the steroid injections as a backup. (This was for repetitive stress injury. I ultimately resolved it with better ergonomics, massage, and stretching. No surgery or injections needed.) The podiatrists I've been to have always wanted me to stabilize the foot with insoles/boots. I've never had a podiatrist offer any injections. I guess it depends on the doctor though?