Building up my bench

Options
Currently weighing 173 and my max is 300. Would love to hit 315 for 5 reps. Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Dude I'm 175 and I can barely 200. I'm so jealous.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you aren't already , spend a lot of time on the accessory muscles like your triceps and back/shoulders/lats. and make sure you have impeccable form. You can add a ton of weight on just by fixing up form.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are balancing your push gains with your pull gains so you don't kill your shoulders.
  • myempire
    myempire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are doing okay as it is, but why do you ask? Have you plateaued?

• allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    myempire wrote: »
    Seems like you are doing okay as it is, but why do you ask? Have you plateaued?

Yes. I was 179 before i started cutting and now i have plateaued on bench.
  • allstarelmo23
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you aren't already , spend a lot of time on the accessory muscles like your triceps and back/shoulders/lats. and make sure you have impeccable form. You can add a ton of weight on just by fixing up form.

I try to hit in the 8-12 rep range on accessory lifts :)
  • allstarelmo23
    Options
    Also make sure you are balancing your push gains with your pull gains so you don't kill your shoulders.

Good tip!
  • allstarelmo23
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Dude I'm 175 and I can barely 200. I'm so jealous.

Be patient. The gains will come.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Some people I know use a slingshot (google slingshot + bench press) to help them break through plateaus. It will help you bench more weight than you could without it and keep your form tight.
  • allstarelmo23
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Some people I know use a slingshot (google slingshot + bench press) to help them break through plateaus. It will help you bench more weight than you could without it and keep your form tight.

I have one lol
    Put one 315 once with a slingshot.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just like @SonyaCele said. In addition to benching lots to get a bigger bench, lots of work on triceps, delts, lats, rhomboids, and traps. Perfect your form.

Deadlifts may just be my favorite accessory for bench.
  • allstarelmo23
    Options
    Just like @SonyaCele said. In addition to benching lots to get a bigger bench, lots of work on triceps, delts, lats, rhomboids, and traps. Perfect your form.

Deadlifts may just be my favorite accessory for bench.

Never really thought of it that way. Thx!