Three days in.....protein is a negative number??

Options
What do I need to do to flip flop that around? Will I lose weight faster is I eat more protein and less carbs even if my caloric intake stays the same? Isn't it all about the number of calories you eat a day?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Having your protein in the red is just fine. MFP's recommendations for protein is, in my opinion, quite low. I try and eat my body weight in grams of protein in a day (150-200g of protein).
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Protein's a red, negative number because you ate MORE protein than the MFP diary recommends. That said, the MFP values are very low and the consensus is that it is okay to go over on protein. Protein is good and helps rebuild muscle as well as keeps you feeling full.

In other words, don't worry about it!
  • Mcottonballs
    Options
    Oh. so that really is not a bad thing then?
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    yes, protein in red is good. like the above said, MFP's reccomendation for protein is quite low. the minimum you're supposed to recieve of protein is 80g per day. i TRY to get protein in the negative numbers, as well as fiber. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If all your concerned about is "Weight" then it is calories in vs calories out

If you're wanting to be healthy once you've lose the weight find the nutrition ratio that works for you. I changed mine to 35% carbs 35% protein and 30 % fat. I am aiming for 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight so it took hitting that ratio to get it.

If you eat your caloric goal in healthy wholesome foods rather than processed crap you'll feel fuller longer, lose the cravings etc. And if you add exercise in you'll be in better shape when the process is complete ;)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i always eat over my protein (i actually feel bad when it's more than -50 haha (meaning i average around -70, think)
  • Mcottonballs
    Options
    What about carbs? What should I go for?
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. You can always change the amount of protein you eat in your goal setting area to more. MFP's protein recommendation is very low (at least that's what I think).
  • eboley637
    eboley637 Posts: 18
    Options
    A lot of people eat more than the recommended daily intake for protein. A problem with eating too much protein is if you are getting most of your protein from meats which can result in too much cholesterol. I notice my protein intake is generally in the red also so you are definitely not alone ;-)
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    What about carbs? What should I go for?

Its hard to tell you a number without knowing your stats but if you go to the Goals section and change your goals to a more equal % for fat / protein / carbs it will put the number in for you based on how much you should eat. I have mine set to 45% carbs / 20% fat / 35% protein. Everybody has different beliefs though on what is appropriate. You have to decide what balance is right for you.