22 weeks pregnant and I need help

Options
Hey everyone!! I'm going to get straight to the point.. I need help.. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd son. My doctor is only allowing me to gain 20lbs for my entire pregnancy. She told me this 10lbs and 16weeks in. Between weeks 16 and 20 I gained 2lbs. I'm really struggling.. She doesn't allow me to get on the treadmill.. I live off of a highway so I can't walk on the sidewalk bc there isn't one.

When I used to be thin I exercised a lot.. Now I find myself out of breath over nothing.. My body is weak and I'm overweight for my height.

What kind of exercises can I/should I start with? What kind of neals can I eat that are healthy but relatively inexpensive? I've done what I can thus far but I'm lacking on exercise and I'm getting more hungry as the pregnancy progresses. I'm just now sure where to begin.. I'm so lost right now.

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion.....quickly
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you be able to walk on a treadmill? That seems like bad advice.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I agree this seems strange. If you are allowed to walk outside, you should be able to walk on a treadmill. Maybe at a slower pace and/or lower incline than you prefer, but still....

@pootle1972 is right, you should get a second opinion.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, walk when you can, and don't stress over it. Don't start a new exercise program at this point; just keep moving.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I'm going to get straight to the point.. I need help.. I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd son. My doctor is only allowing me to gain 20lbs for my entire pregnancy. She told me this 10lbs and 16weeks in. Between weeks 16 and 20 I gained 2lbs. I'm really struggling.. She doesn't allow me to get on the treadmill.. I live off of a highway so I can't walk on the sidewalk bc there isn't one.

When I used to be thin I exercised a lot.. Now I find myself out of breath over nothing.. My body is weak and I'm overweight for my height.

What kind of exercises can I/should I start with? What kind of neals can I eat that are healthy but relatively inexpensive? I've done what I can thus far but I'm lacking on exercise and I'm getting more hungry as the pregnancy progresses. I'm just now sure where to begin.. I'm so lost right now.

I'd exercise your right to see another doctor. Good fish, only allowed to gain 20lbs? What's she going to do if you gain more than that?
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor to eff off, then find a new one. They aren't going to call CPS on you if you gain 21+ lbs, and gaining over 20lbs, especially in later pregnancies is not uncommon. Unless you have a medical condition that makes this inadvisable (for example, but not limited to- Gestational Diabetes, History of Pre-E, both of which can be complicated by excess weight gain) just don't stress about how much you gain or don't gain. The stress is probably worse for you than the weight.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your doctor needs to go take a long walk off a short cliff. The intentions of said doctor may be good, but delivery sucks. (No pun intended)

But if you'd like to work out while you're pregnant and you're cleared to do so, water exercises are the best for the pregnant body. Water supports you and your baby while eliminating stress on joints and bones like with conventional on land exercises. I'd look into that.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    20# is a general weight gain but everyone gains differently and diffrently with each pregnancy. My sister gained 80+ with her first and only 12 with her second. Unless there is a medical reason there is no reason why you can't eat regularly + a bit extra for baby and walk as long as you aren't exerting yourself too much.
  • JLK1601
    JLK1601 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Lindsay Brin's prenatal dvds. There is one for each trimester so you know you are doing safe exercises as your belly grows. Maybe try a prenatal yoga dvd to keep your body moving while not doing anything too crazy since you get out of breath easily. Try your best to eat clean and just remember your doctor has your best interest in mind. Giving you that advice is her job. Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and a beautiful, healthy baby!
  • OhhMamaBear
    OhhMamaBear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions..

She doesn't want me on the treadmill because she said I can become distracted and fall...

I currently don't have an exercise program, which is why I'm asking for opinions on exercises I can do.. I'm also fearful that my weakness has caused my muscles to become more tired.. I had to stop picking up my first when he was about 2.5 bc he was "heavy" even though, weight-wise, he wasn't heavy at all.

I'm currently waiting to be scheduled for the 4hr glucose test as she said my results for the 1hr was 135 & that's the cutoff.. I didn't mention to her until after she said I would have to do the long one that I had not eaten since 7pm the night before (had the test done at 12pm). She believes I may have gestational diabetes.. I gained 65lbs with my first... 135lbs to 208lbs at delivery.. He weighed 9lbs 2oz.

I hope that clears some stuff up.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    More information needed - why is your doctor giving you this advice? Did you gain too much with your first pregnancy? Are you at risk of gestational diabetes? Those are pretty good reasons for recommending you watch your weight for your second pregnancy.

ETA - I would hope that this advice came with some reasonable suggestions, instead of your doc just telling you to gain no more than 20# and sending you on your way?
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

They worry about a pregnant woman loosing her balance and falling forward.
  • julyfroggy
    julyfroggy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first is 15 weeks old now and I gained right at 50lbs with her. I ran up until 32 weeks and walked 10 miles a week on average until the week I had her. Sometimes weight gain has nothing to do with your activity level. Just eat healthy, plenty of protein and move as much as you can. I'm back down to my pre-pregnancy weight and have just started running again last week. Stay positive!! AS long as you and your baby come out healthy in the end all is well!!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the whole don't use a treadmill while pregnant thing is simply not true. You could just as easily fall while tripping over a curb you didn't see while walking around but no one is going to tell you not to leave the house. You are an adult who is quite capable of deciding what you are safe to do. There are lots of websites with suggestions for safe pregnancy treadmill workouts, so if you have a treadmill that is the best place to start. Eat maintenance calories and if you are still hungry eat your exercise calories back. If your doctor thinks you are high risk for gestational diabetes it is worth asking her if you should start following a diabetic diet now to stabilize blood sugars and minimize excessive weight gain for both yourself and the baby. As someone suggested water exercises are perfect for pregnancy and aqua aerobics specifically for pregnant women are pretty easy to find now. You can also do in-home walking exercises, Leslie Sansone has many on Youtube for free and they are low impact and don't require much space. If you are easily breathless please ask your doctor to check your iron levels as this can be a symptom of anemia which is common in the second half of pregnancy. Any exercise you can add will be beneficial to you, just take it steady and build up gradually.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

She doesn't want me on the treadmill because she said I can become distracted and fall...

I currently don't have an exercise program, which is why I'm asking for opinions on exercises I can do.. I'm also fearful that my weakness has caused my muscles to become more tired.. I had to stop picking up my first when he was about 2.5 bc he was "heavy" even though, weight-wise, he wasn't heavy at all.

I'm currently waiting to be scheduled for the 4hr glucose test as she said my results for the 1hr was 135 & that's the cutoff.. I didn't mention to her until after she said I would have to do the long one that I had not eaten since 7pm the night before (had the test done at 12pm). She believes I may have gestational diabetes.. I gained 65lbs with my first... 135lbs to 208lbs at delivery.. He weighed 9lbs 2oz.

Those are some crucial details.
    I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned watching your calorie intake in order to control your weight. I believe calorie intake during pregnancy is supposed to be 1.1X your regular intake, but I could be wrong. Did you and your doctor discuss this?
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    with my 1st I literally thought you had to eat for 2 people and gained 40-50 pounds I felt awful and i'm still over weight because of that pregnancy lol
    with my 2nd I did tons of research and I had an awesome doctor that told me I only needed 300-500 extra calories a day and I walked 1 mile everyday of my 1st & 2nd trimester by the time the 3rd trimester came it was 100+ degrees outside so i opted to walk the mall a couple times a week I only gained 16lbs that pregnancy and my son was born 7lbs 14oz and completely healthy i actually got down 9lbs below my start weight by the time i went back to work but then I gained 20lbs in 10 months back to work thats where i'm at now I've already lost 14lbs about 58lbs more to go till I am down below my pre pre pregnancy weight haha
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

You might consider looking up info on GD diets now, just for good measure; it certainly won't hurt. From what I recall, it's something about controlling (but definitely not eliminating) carbs at each meal, and eating protein to go with it.

I think the treadmill thing is crap (you're going to get distracted? Really?), but I'm not an MD, so maybe I'm wrong. Can you walk at a local park? Shopping mall? Walmart? I did a pregnancy yoga DVD, and enjoyed that.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    One of your questions was "What kind of meals can I eat that are healthy but relatively inexpensive?" I'd go for combining beans and either rice or corn, and go heavy on the green vegetables--fresh if you can get them at a reasonable price, and frozen if not. Try to stay away from the white foods: potatoes, white rice, bread. Fruit's good, but treat it a bit like a treat; it's no substitute for green vegetables, especially if your blood sugar is too high. Meat is more expensive, of course, but there are cheap cuts on sale. You might try EatThisMuch.com, which lets you dial in a certain number of calories per day and choose a budget.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You could look up prenatal workout videos on youtube, or even Leslie Sansone easy walk videos are probably fine. My sister did dvd workouts with me while very pregnant, she just didn't do the jumping (kept moving with squats or marching in place).
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to start to get ready for a GD diet. Your doctor seems to have good cause to suspect it, and the glucose screen will tell you for sure. Gaining weight while pregnant is normal, but thats not to say that heavier people need to gain weight. I had gestational diabetes, and followed a carb-controlled diet, while checking my glucose levels 4x a day. I met with a registered dietitian and worked through a plan that I stuck to. I weighed 220 lbs when I got pregnant and gained 2 lbs. That was all. It can be done and done in good health and under medical supervision. As for food suggestions, I ate a lot of proteins, stir frys, veggies, eggs. My diet called for 15 carbs at breakfast and lunch, 30 at dinner, and 15 for a snack between each meal. My snacks were usually a glass of milk, a fiber one bar, or some nuts. I avoided most fruits.