Need support! :(

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been steady losing weight and as of January this year I lost 21kg. But then I moved to a different country.
Although I don't really have any issues with the move I've been having great difficulties with my diet. It took me two months but I have my meal plan back on track, but whenever I'm at home it goes out the window and I just start binging. Binging to point where afterwards I feel sick and actually consider purging. I've gained back 2 kg and I feel really miserable. I know what I should be doing, but I just don't seem to be able to do it. I guess could use some motivation and support right now. Please help me?

Thanks,
Joëlle

P.s. ungracefully crying on the couch right now..

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You definitely have my sympathy. I have not moved to a new country however 4 years ago I split from my husband. We have been doing this back-and-forth thing trying to repair a our relationship and throughout that time I have regained 100 pounds. I don't blame him for my weight gain because I am control of my own life and what I put in my mouth. However I know the stress that is in my life, the minimal amount of support that he gives me for anything in my life, and his negative attitude towards me have affected how I eat. The fact that I continue to allow him to do that is indeed my fault. So I'm very frustrated with myself and my weight gain.

The flipside of that is as long as I don't give up I am still going in a positive direction. If I say screw it and start eating everything I want at any time that I want it, and if I gave up exercising daily - I know that instead of 100 pounds in four years I would have gained 200 pounds in four years. Coincidentally he and I have had another bad day. But during the past week I really evaluated my situation what I want out of life and decided that no matter what else is going on in my life I will treat myself better by eating healthy. So I have not run out and bought a bag of candy. I know that it will take time to get this weight off of me again. I'm OK with that. If it takes me four years to get it off again that's OK. Keep in mind that life is up & downs in almost every area. Your relationship has ups and downs; your work has ups and downs; your health has ups and downs; and your weight has ups and downs. Just don't give up, it will get better. It May take time but it will get better.

Plan what is going to happen when you go home. Don't think I'm gonna go home and I'm going to be perfect. That is not going to happen, think OK I'm going home so I am going to eat a healthy breakfast every single day. And then leave it at that, don't worry about the rest the day. If you are able to do that consistently for two months worth of visits then move onto the next thing such as I'm not going to buy any candy bars while I'm at home. Or I'm only going to have one alcoholic beverage. If that takes 40 visits before you have that down that's OK. Just break it down, work on one thing at a time, and have patience.
  • Goldhartbeat
    Goldhartbeat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I definitely feel like the move sort of reset my eating behaviors to what it was before I lost weight. But with going home I meant from work. At work I just have the food I bring with me, and that's pretty much on point. But when I have an afternoon/evening on the couch? Oh boyy...
    It just gets so frustrating to lose control so much!
    I want to be healthy, but I never seem to be able to get everything on track for that.

I think its very admirable that you keep on going! Thank you for your advice!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to throw out your trigger foods, or at least most of them. Do you binge eat on ice cream (guilty)? Don't have any. Do you love chocolate (...guilty again)? Try some individual squares (or break up and bag a bar) of the darkest chocolate you can stand. For me I can't eat too many, too strong, but I get my chocolate fix. Want to eat all the pasta? Get some small bags, or individually portion out so you have to make the choice to eat it.
    Think about why? Why is it only at home? For me, it's home, but I'm alone. No one to watch, muhaha. But is it depression? Are you emotionally eating? Are there things you can do outside of the home (ie go for a walk at a park, go to the gym, etc) so that you're not in that environment? I usually have to have some sort of escape, even if it's just going for a drive to nowhere or the grocery store, if I start to feel the blues.
  • Goldhartbeat
    Goldhartbeat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate sounds like a good tip! I get chocolate cravings all the time.. And potato chips.
    Also, I think I may have to pick a crafty hobby back up. When your hands are busy, its quite difficult to snack, haha!

I think for me it's a mix of loneliness (haven't made many friends here yet) and boredom.
    And going to the grocery store just makes me buy more snacks.. :p