Fitness Vs. Food - What makes the real "Dent" in weight reduction?

Options
mankars
mankars Posts: 115 Member
Hello Fellow Pals,

Watch this video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZeLI2DYzeM

... what do you think, does calorie intake matters or sweating out at the gym?

Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sherpa- lulz

calorie deficit- fitness can help create a larger calorie deficit- but really working out is to make sure you maintain muscle mass and optimize fat loss in the weight loss journey.

most of us can already tell you this without watching your sherpa friend.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sherpa- lulz

calorie deficit- fitness can help create a larger calorie deficit- but really working out is to make sure you maintain muscle mass and optimize fat loss in the weight loss journey.

most of us can already tell you this without watching your sherpa friend.

Yeah, I didn't watch it!
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You lose weight in the kitchen. But exercise helps you lose weight faster. It also gives you some extra calories to work with so yu can eat a bit more. Plus, working out helps get your body into better shape.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    An hour of exercise can be nullified by 5 minutes of eating. You tell me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options

5 minutes? I can wipe it out in 2 or less. ;-)

How much a person eats rule. It is by far the easiest way to establish a calorie deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It takes a lot less time and effort to not eat a pizza than it would to burn off the equivalent number of calories by exercise.

As to the video - didn't watch. It looks like one of those "carbz iz da debilz" propaganda videos. No thanks.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1 hour on the rowing machine is wiped out by 1 and a half snickers bars. Weight is lost in the kitchen.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Truer words were never said!
    1 hour on the rowing machine is wiped out by 1 and a half snickers bars. Weight is lost in the kitchen.

Which is just so, sooooo sad because I love me some snickers bars. :/

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

I know!!!! The fact I was able to do the math without having to look up the calories tells you my position on snickers quite definitely!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Snickers Mini, 45 calories. Enjoy. One. Just one. Hide the bag.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Im doing both. If i burn 7000 calories a week at the gym thats an extra 2lbs a week on top of my deficit.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Minis have the ingredient proportions all wrong! Too much chocolate vs everything else. Standard Snickers cut into thirds or something would taste better!

(Have we hijacked this into the Snickers thread yet?)

Per the OP: Definitely can save yourself a hell of a lot of gym time by working on willpower in the kitchen!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Surfrider wrote: »

Minis have the ingredient proportions all wrong! Too much chocolate vs everything else. Standard Snickers cut into thirds or something would taste better!

(Have we hijacked this into the Snickers thread yet?)

Per the OP: Definitely can save yourself a hell of a lot of gym time by working on willpower in the kitchen!

"Too much chocolate" - that's just crazy talk. In what world does that exist? :D
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    'People underestimate calories consumed', 'overestimate calories burned'. We see it all the time, if they would have just rested on those laurels, or expanded on those points.
    'It's impossible to keep weight off without exercise' I mean...it's best for overall health and muscle tone, but impossible?
    'Carbs cause belly fat' Well crap, all this time I thought it was overeating, but since they only mentioned that once, and whole carbs that create insulin is mentioned continually, it must just be that PB&J I had this morning.
    'Control insulin to lose weight' If you're diabetic, it's good. '
    'Fat has no effect on insulin. But don't get me started' Wait...I thought this was an informational video?
    All in all, watch the part1:05-1:20, and you're good.
    Calorie deficit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Calorie deficit
    'People underestimate calories consumed', 'overestimate calories burned'. We see it all the time, if they would have just rested on those laurels, or expanded on those points.
    'It's impossible to keep weight off without exercise' I mean...it's best for overall health and muscle tone, but impossible?
    'Carbs cause belly fat' Well crap, all this time I thought it was overeating, but since they only mentioned that once, and whole carbs that create insulin is mentioned continually, it must just be that PB&J I had this morning.
    'Control insulin to lose weight' If you're diabetic, it's good. '
    'Fat has no effect on insulin. But don't get me started' Wait...I thought this was an informational video?
    All in all, watch the part1:05-1:20, and you're good.
    Calorie deficit.

If that is the content of the video then I am glad I didn't waste my time with it. I suspected as much from the image which is why I didn't bother. Good to know I was not wrong.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    its all about the calories and eating less than we burn.... you can't out run a bad diet is a quote I see alot and its true and another one, weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Im doing both. If i burn 7000 calories a week at the gym thats an extra 2lbs a week on top of my deficit.

If you're burning 7000 calories a week you're probably doing steady state cardio for at least an hour everyday...and you say you're doing that on top of a calorie deficit? Your body is going to eat itself alive including whatever muscle you *might* still have. That and you must be dead tired all the time, bc it's hard to workout that much when you're not eating for energy. I'm skeptical.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It is all calories regardless of your exercise. Exercising may help you burn a few more, but losing weight is 90% in the kitchen!