Counting Macros: Always short on protein...ideas?

Hi, I am new to counting macros and I am doing a 40/30/30 ratio of carbs, fat and protein to lose weight. I never have a problem reaching my fat grams. Carbs can be a little tricky, but I'm usually close to 30%. But, I come up pretty low on protein, but not on purpose. At the end of the day, I'm struggling to add more protein grams, but since I'm always out of fat by that time, its not like I can have nuts or peanut butter. Sometimes its also hard finding a protein source that won't overdo my carbs.
Does anyone have any low/zero fat, low carb suggestions for protein? I looked into protein powder for my daily smoothie, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'd rather stick to real food if at all possible.

My breakfast is usually a fruit and veggie smoothie with added peanut butter and oats, made with skim milk and a 1/4 cup of low fat keifer. Lunch has been deli meat (chicken or turkey). Sometimes I have siggi's yogurt which has high protein and usually 9-11 grams of carbs but I don't want to have so much dairy. Hardboiled eggs are my snack sometimes, but again, I don't want to rely on those all the time. Dinner is random stuff, but usually kind of meat centered. Thanks!!

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Cottage cheese. Honestly, protein powder is the only way I come even close.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    How many grams of protein are you aiming for and how many are you getting to? Check out the recipes I posted in the recipes thread. They are usally higher protein and I eat them with a carb. Check out my diary too. Plenty of protein sources without fat or carbs. Any chicken, fish, turkey, cottage cheese etc.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    fat free greek yogurt. You can add in blueberries, peanut butter, oats or granola. This always fills me up. Even add protein powder. The powder will make it thick.
  • kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Same issue! Looking forward to seeing ideas....
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2016
    Cottage cheese 1% - Friendship Brand is my favorite! 90 calories, 1 gram fat so it won't increase your fat percentage, only 4 grams carbs, and 16 grams of protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Set macros 18c/22p/60f.
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Calabro fat free ricotta is quite good ( I have tried other brands and they were pretty terrible) and an alternative to cottage cheese. Good with tomato sauce and chicken.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I would not worry about going over fat. Many people view fat/protein as minimums and not worry about where carbs end up.

You could eat some tuna to up your protein.
  • marcletourneau
    marcletourneau Posts: 4 Member
    Do a couple scoops of bcaa
  • KLaugel18
    KLaugel18 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks all! I'm aiming for 111g of protein per day but I can come up anywhere from 7-20g short some days. I'm going to have some light tuna tomorrow for lunch and it looks like I'll be hitting the mark tomorrow since I'm having eggs for breakfast and chicken at dinner. But I'll keep the cottage cheese in mind and powder if I find I'm still really struggling after a while. And I had some fat free Greek yogurt with strawberries tonight :)
  • melissa6771
    I don't use protein drinks now and am usually over 100, about 110-115 in a day. I ate breakfast late today, so I almost missed my lunch (chicken breast on a sandwich thin with lettuce, tomato, mustard) and made myself eat something because I knew I would be way under everything for the day, so I had a couple of meatballs and some potatoes in the afternoon, but normally I'm over 100. Take a look at my diary, at least the over 100 days, and I'm within my calories easily. You could take ideas from some of my higher protein meals.

I've also posted a few recipes in the recipes thread. The fiber snack bars I posted in a few threads have 15 grams of protein if you're looking for a treat to put you over. Also, the premier protein ready to drink shakes have 30 protein, 1 sugar, and only 160 calories, even 1/2 or 2/3 of one of those would get you there. And they taste so good.

Sounds like your plan for tomorrow will get you there! Out of curiosity, why the 111 grams? Are you lifting a lot?
  • KLaugel18
    Melissa6771, thank you! I am very new to this and after doing some research, I thought 40/30/30 was a good ratio. I'm 5'2 and my calorie goal is 1,430 per day to lose 0.5lbs per week. So after putting in that goal and the 40/30/30 ratio, 111g is what myfitnesspal recommended. But I am very open to other suggestions! I'm an ex-weight watcher so all of this is new to me. I walk a lot and do 20-30 min of strength training 2x a week but nothing very intense.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    I have the same issue with protein and I decided to incorporate protein shakes (low cal, high protein, low carb, so convenient!) Also, here's snack ideas: cottage cheese, jerky (any kind), tuna or chicken salad, meatballs. All easy to make/maintain.
  • KLaugel18
    Thanks! I've been eating jerky too
  • melissa6771
    KLaugel18 wrote: »
    Melissa6771, thank you! I am very new to this and after doing some research, I thought 40/30/30 was a good ratio. I'm 5'2 and my calorie goal is 1,430 per day to lose 0.5lbs per week. So after putting in that goal and the 40/30/30 ratio, 111g is what myfitnesspal recommended. But I am very open to other suggestions! I'm an ex-weight watcher so all of this is new to me. I walk a lot and do 20-30 min of strength training 2x a week but nothing very intense.

Ha! I think a lot of people are ex WW. The best thing that I think came from that is that I pay attention to fiber. Most people don't get the 25 grams a day they should. I've been hitting 30 lately. I like this better than weight watchers. How about you?

Is your diary open? I'd like to see how your day turns out today. Did the eggs, tuna and chicken get you to your goal? I was looking at my diary today thinking of you. The Crustless quiche I posted, it has 24 protein, only 202 calories. That's a good start for breakfast. If I eat all the food I have planned, my day is looking like 126 protein today.

Also, have you tried the oikos triple zero greek yogurt? It's so good. And healthier than most of the Greek yogurts. Just adding a Greek yogurt or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese would fill most of your gap.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    My goal is to get 114 grams of protein and I almost always fall short, but achieve at least 100 grams regularly. I do so by eating protein shakes (1 x day), protein bars (1 x day), hard boiled eggs, tuna, chicken breast, cottage cheese, etc. I have to jam pack my meals with the actual food in order to avoid having to consume extra processed protein. I've been looking into protein cookies, ice cream, etc. to make up for it when I'm lacking on particular days.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I end up eating a LOT of grilled chicken - most protein bang for the buck.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Jerky is another good one! And nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. I like to have a "treat" of a sliced apple with 1 T. sunflower butter and 1/4 c. mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
  • babydino2015
    babydino2015 Posts: 9 Member
    I bake trays of tilapia or chicken breast on Sunday and keep cold in fridge for snacks. Textured vegetable protein (crunchy) added to anything (salads, oatmeal, yogurt) and I also like textured veg protein as a treat mixed with tbsp of peanut butter and a bit of artificial sweetener, although if you avoid protein powder I guess tvp is not quite "real food" either.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    If you're fond of dairy then a Greek yogurt would be great to get you to your protein goal without a lot of fat or carbs. I actually found that plain, fat free Chobani or Fage were pretty good.