Any nightshirt workers out there? Want a motivation buddy?

Options
lealei85
lealei85 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I've never really got into using this app before. But I want to adopt it now as I've gained a fair amount of weight. I work night shift and find that it's very hard for me at the momentenergy wise etc. I am also renovating a house so any waking time during the day is filled with plans and meeting people for quotes etc. I used to do a lot of exercise but this is not a top priority at the moment. Therefore keeping a better (tighter) eye on my calories is the key way for me to level out my weight again.
Any night workers have any tips on how they track their calories since we have strange waking/sleeping times?
Many thanks x

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm a nightshift guy. Some people say to plan meals, but I can't really do that. What I've found works for me is to plan calories.

So over the past few months, I've learned that I need about 600 calories to get me through my shift. I have a label called "Overnight" in my diary, and I schedule in 600 calories in advance. Then when I'm eating throughout the rest of the day, I know how much to allow myself to eat, staying within my overall calorie goal.

The other thing I've found helps is to make my own lower calorie desserts/snacks. Sometimes, I'm so dang tired, there's no way I'm not going to eat, so keep stuff around (like baby carrots, or protein pancakes) that I can still eat without completely destroying my deficit.
  • Bellykrystyna
    Bellykrystyna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I went back to the night shift 3 years ago I gained 20 pounds. I used to go down to the cafeteria at 0200 for dinner,now I plan my meals and only eat what I pack. I pre enter my foods into the app before going to work. I start my "day" when I wake up and finish it when I get home from work. I feel better and seem to have more energy when I make time for myself and fit in exercise. Good luck!
  • lealei85
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like a decent enough way of doing things. I struggle with sleeping and then find it hard not to overeat during the day. ...yet too tired to do much ...and still need to eat at night when I'm most active!
    Are these homemade pancakes? I always wondered if they would keep once made....I make such a mess they aren't always convenient to make. X
  • dhru2016
    dhru2016 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work nights as a nurse. I find it very difficult to eat properly, but I do enjoy working out on my way home in the morning. Gives me a chance to clear my head before bed.
  • lealei85
    Options
    @dhru2016 ..that is how I used to maintain my fitness. At the moment I seem to have too many obligations pulling for my time. I do want to reintroduce my workouts. The issues is I'm all or nothing kinda person ....need to get overthat and be happy with even 3x 30 mins
  • Itisibigj39
    Itisibigj39 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Constant nights, 13 years now! Still as tough today as the day I started it
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OP, there is an official MFP night shift thread out there somewhere.... try it, you might make some friends. :)
  • unicornbeagle
    unicornbeagle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid-shifter and over-nighter in an emergency veterinary hospital and have found that it's easiest to pack small baggies of healthy snacks like carrots, celery and sliced apples. The bags fit perfectly in my scrub pocket and it helps prevent snacking on bad foods. I started going to a spin class when I get off and not only does it help me sleep better, but I feel more rested when I wake up. I also drink a Boost protein drink after class instead of eating something heavy before I go to sleep.
    Hope these suggestions help... Those of us in the nightshirt need to stick together!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I worked nightshift for 7.5 years in the IT field and is part of the reason I got out of shape. Well to be honest I got into a shape and that shape was round.

What I started to do was go for more walks and hit the stairs, which in a 7-story building would be a good workout. I also started to take healthier meals and snacks to work.

Also, some work places encourage working out by giving time to work out. You can always inquire with your work place to see if they have a program or would be interested in providing for such. Just a small room with a few kettlebells and an elliptical machine is all you need. Or just do a short, fast HIIT routine somewhere out of site.

I am always willing to share idea's so feel free to add me (anyone) I like to kid but when it is time for seriousness I can come through. ;-)

Good luck.
  • trevorburwick189
    trevorburwick189 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is the way to go no matter when you have to go to work. Once I started doing that I made best progress. If you forget have a spare pack of tuna with you...maybe a little lite mayo packet lol
  • dragonfire12601
    dragonfire12601 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I work overnights. For meals, I plan ahead of time. I know what's healthy and what's not so that's helpful lol. I bring my meal (for me it's dinner) and snacks with me so I know I'm eating healthy. I'm naturally a night owl so working overnights and sleeping during the day is easy for me. Anyone can add me for motivation and support!
  • lealei85
    Options
    I'm OK with prepping meals...that said ..making the time sometimes is an issue lol. My main concern is my transition from nights to days for my days off and vice versa...i.e . My first night babe k to work ...I am awake all day and busy....and awake all night. I feel like I consume for two days on these days. But using the app will help me focus around that. I just wondered how people recorded their days if the had funny waking hours. I've been doing midnight to midnight. So my breakfast at about 7/87m is actually the last meal in my day to record....but the first in my waking day. It's working well thus far x
  • niciaj
    niciaj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanted to find out when do you start logging into to MyfitnessPal for the day? I'm just starting midnights and I'm not sure when I should start logging. I usually eat dinner with my family and I may bring a light snack to work, cottage cheese, nuts or something like that. I'm thinking my logging starts with the clock. So my light snack is the start of the new day for me. I know this may seem a little off but it's the small things in life that sometimes make a big different.
  • purrpurplemeow83
    purrpurplemeow83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lealei85 wrote: »
    Hi, I've never really got into using this app before. But I want to adopt it now as I've gained a fair amount of weight. I work night shift and find that it's very hard for me at the momentenergy wise etc. I am also renovating a house so any waking time during the day is filled with plans and meeting people for quotes etc. I used to do a lot of exercise but this is not a top priority at the moment. Therefore keeping a better (tighter) eye on my calories is the key way for me to level out my weight again.
    Any night workers have any tips on how they track their calories since we have strange waking/sleeping times?
    Many thanks x

I work nights as lpn. I only pack veggies and light snack during my night shift. I count calories and exerise 3x wk. I can always use a new friend w health and wellness on their mind :)
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have worked shifts and now permanent nights. I believe the only way to count easily is to just think midnight to midnight and count the calories in that period. works for me anyway. i lost just over 2 stone when i started that. Also, I used to "reward" myself for working nights, " I will just have a treat....etc etc" stopped doing that. i find greek yoghurt with fruit quite good for overnight, sometimes stir in some whey protein to flavour it a bit and if i am particularly hungry. I exercise the moment i get out of bed, the first thing i put on is my sports wear to show intent. I find if i dont do it then, I wont do it. I dont get much sleep either, you just have to push through . it is tough on the body. unless you have worked nights, you just dont get it... good luck