Starting Again. and Again and Again.

Options
I don't normally use forums but had to post.

I need to shift a few pounds and need some direction,

Way back about 4 years ago I was on track losing weight great, mtb biking every other day mixed with cardio in my garage. weighing in at 15stone 3lb. on route to around 12 stone ish.

Any way long story short, i was laid of my job, had a car accident which stopped my active biking and cardio, due to the sheer pain.

Any way some years on after falling into a routine of zero exercise, no biking, and basically back in work behind a screen day in day out.

to today, last time i was weighed i was 22 stone 8lbs and thinking im closer to 23 stone.

Im at the end of my tether now, i know its what goes in my mouth but im struggling.

I want to shed this weight while continuing my full time self employment and my home life.

lazy i think the word is and need a good kick to move forward.

Food is my struggle, breakfast, lunch and dinner. what should be eaten to gain the best habbits.

I want to be back on the bike and keeping up with my kids.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You've had a hard time of it - hope you're not still in pain.

If you still can't exercise then you have to start somewhere and that's with what you eat.

You lost before; you know it's about eating less than you burn.

How about you take this process slowly, don't go for too aggressive a deficit so you don't feel deprived.

How many calories does mfp tell you per day you can have to lose?

Boredom will have us reaching for the comfort food so what can you do to keep busy/ distract yourself?

You have come here to do something about your weight so do it, day by day, little by little.

All the very best :smile:
  • howie1891d
    howie1891d Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah it just seemed one thing after another, lol never felt so low in my life, any way the Pain is good touch wood, when its cold/frosty i get an aching collarbone which was where the seatbelt pulled hard when crashing. but nothing really to stop me doing any exercise, self employed takes a good chunk of time of my life.

whats mfp?

boredom does play havoc, im a professional photographer and sometimes as much as you spend a lot of time around people its very lonely and yes comfort foods are always to hand. I have the right idea, i know i should be watching what goes in but I think i have formed a habit while working just to grab and dash.

day by day i think is the good idea, cannot go too heavy as i need some form of energy to do my job.

what would benefit me to eat at breakfast?

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    One way that I've seen some success is to promise to not snack between meals. I work from home - very sedentary behind my computer - and when I've had enough and think I need to snack, I try to remember that I should wait until the next meal. At night I allow myself a snack - pretzels, fruit, etc. This may help you to get your head in the right place? Oh, and I'm weighing and measuring some of my food. I try to not eat more than the size of my fist, either, at meal time. Hope this helps!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are lazy, it sounds like you are busy! My suggestion is to start tracking everything you eat; do this for a week or so just to see what you are eating....don't try to change anything at first. While you are doing this you may want to keep your diary private to avoid not logging EVERYTHING.
    Next I recommend you start being active with your kids; maybe it is just taking a short walk, maybe it is going to the park with them (I don't know how old they are) just something that gets you moving a little and teaches them that getting out and moving is important.
    Then just keep at it little by little; there are all sorts of tips out there....take the stairs when you can, park farther away from where you are going so you have to walk a little farther to your vehicle....etc etc etc. You don't have to make big changes right off and it is less likely you will be successful on a continual basis if you do.
    Start limiting your calories, again if you are over eating by a lot you don't HAVE to decrease your intake all at once, decrease a little at a time until you are under your calorie goal.
    Celebrate each step you take. (but not with food)
    It is not uncommon for it to take several times of trying something to succeed at it....there are all kinds of quotes out there about that. It is more about perseverance, about understanding you will "fall off the wagon" but that the important part is picking yourself back up and getting back at it.
  • akitagirl16
    akitagirl16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    a few weeks ago I purchased a up jawbone wrist band that counts all my steps & tracks my sleep. Its hooked up with my phone and it has a virtual 'smart coach' that gives me motivation and tips as well. I can't tell you how helpful it has been so far. I went from zero exercise to taking 1 1/2 hour brisk walks everyday. I love it because it motivates me to stay active throughout the day, not just during a workout. It even has reminders you can set to stand up and move around if you have been sitting too long. Focusing on hitting my daily goal steps has kind of turned it into a game with myself.
    So maybe check out one of those bands and maybe just start with walking until you get back into the groove.
    As far as the food, I am still trying to tackle that part myself so I don't have much to offer there. :( But I would suggest making sure you are drinking a lot of water throughout the day. That will help curb hunger as well as a bunch of other benefits.
  • Marshamike
    Marshamike Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very good suggestions. I know I need to exercise more and I have a treadmill. You've motivated me. I'm going to go on it right now! Thanks so much.