Best fitness tracker for working out (non running, walking, biking)?

Options
So I know these fitness tracker wristbands are awesome at doing steps and that is normally where it ends.

Are there any that you can set to monitor your heart rate from __ start time to __ end time and then figure out calories burned for say a strength workout or bodyweight workout?

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The wrist straps monitors are known to be sort of sketchy when it comes to that sort of monitoring. Most people would recommend a chest strap HR monitor if you want some level of accuracy. Otherwise, you'll get a ballpark figure. It's a watch, what can you say? ;)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, there isn't really an accurate monitor for calorie burn of strength training.
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Okay.

I thought there was a FitBit where you pushed the button on the side when you started exercising and then pushed it again when you stopped and it gave you a "general" idea of calories burned based on heart rate, time, weight, height.

Am I wrong? Any FitBit people know?
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use the Scosche Rythym. It goes on your forearm. It is an HRM only (no chest strep) and I pair it with Endomondo, so I can track my boxing class burn. The Rythym doesn't have any display - it only sends your HRM to the app of your choosing. I bought it because I hate chest straps and needed something I could wear with boxing gloves on. Seems accurate thus far.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I should note, that I always deduct 10% from what the app tells me in terms of calories burn because none of them are 100% accurate yet.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivofit. It does steps, swimming, miles ect. But paired with the HRM strap it will give you an accurate workout calorie count! I love it. AND you don't have to charge it and it's waterproof!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, the Fitbit Charge HR is a wrist mounted HR monitor that is fairly accurate. You press the button on the side to activate an exercise "session" then press the button when you're done.

Not the best for strength training but good for steady state cardio. It links to MFP and automatically gives you more calories for the day. I choose not to eat all those "extra" calories but try to stick to the original calorie goal. I come in under my calorie goal on most days. I've lost 27 lbs since the first of the year.
  • andrcollrvt
    andrcollrvt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hate my Fitbit charge HR. It's so unreliable and inaccurate.
    I use a polar heart rate monitor when I exercise to get a more accurate reading. It comes with a chest strap HR monitor. It's simple and easy to use too.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You cant measure calories burned from strength training using a heart rate monitor. Heart rate monitors are for steady state cardio only. They don't work at all for strength training, or anything else that isnt steady state cardio.
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is great to know. Thanks for the great feedback.

I know I am burning calories doing high intensity weight training but when I enter strength training exercises into MFP pal it doesn't give me any credit calorie wise.

It's okay though - as long as I am working out it's a formality really.