BEANS!

Options
I need more beans! Preferably for lunch. Gotta get me some more protein! So, if you have any awesometastic bean recipes that won't take forever to make (minus the soaking of course!) please stop hogging them all to yourself and share! :happy:

Oh yeah, and I'm vegan. So vegan/vegetarian recipes would be nice, but they aren't necessary. I can always tweak them to my liking.

Thanks in advance!!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I need more beans! Preferably for lunch. Gotta get me some more protein! So, if you have any awesometastic bean recipes that won't take forever to make (minus the soaking of course!) please stop hogging them all to yourself and share! :happy:

Oh yeah, and I'm vegan. So vegan/vegetarian recipes would be nice, but they aren't necessary. I can always tweak them to my liking.

Thanks in advance!!!

:flowerforyou:

Not a vegan, but would love to see new bean recipes for some protein as well!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I :heart: beans!
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-and-black-bean-salad/detail.aspx

This is a side dish that I just tried and I absolutely loved it! You might be able to tweak it to make it into a meal, I don't know. But I loved it and even my kids liked it!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Add me! Look at my food diary too. I'm vegan =] I have some great recipes so I'll get back on tonight to tell you some, I'm at work lol.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Great northern beans - add sofrito (tomato and cilantro... or home-made), minced garlic, adobo seasoning salt. They taste great! So good I could eat the whole thing if I wasn't worried about calories. :)
  • amycloutier
    amycloutier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make the Margarita Grilled Chicken from Chilli's Restaurant at home all the time.

The restaurant description is: MARGARITA GRILLED CHICKEN
    Classic Margarita-flavored grilled chicken with hints of lime and citrus, served with rice, black beans, tortilla strips and house-made pico de gallo.

My version is 4oz of chicken from the grill (I usually grill 2 chicken breasts and save the chicken for other meals). Then serve over brown rice with black beans and homemade salsa on top.

You can replace the chicken with a black bean burger or something else.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-and-black-bean-salad/detail.aspx

This is a side dish that I just tried and I absolutely loved it! You might be able to tweak it to make it into a meal, I don't know. But I loved it and even my kids liked it!

That sounds super easy! I love it! Maybe I could mix it with rice, too! And wrap it in lettuce!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    I am all about easy; I doctor up a can of black beans; saute' 1/4-1/2 an onion in a tiny bit of olive oil; add 1 clove of minced garlic then beans and add cumin for a smokey flavor. I add that to brown rice even my 10 year old will eat it up.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    mix 3 or 4 different types of beans, soy crumbles and some of your favorite Mrs. dash or some other low sodium seasoning. into a crock pot, maybe some other veggies in there like peppers and onions. and some tomato sauce. its sounding like a chilli.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy so far! Thanks guys! Keep em coming!
  • mjawesome
    mjawesome Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump...i needs me some beans too!
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    I found a bunch of vegan recipes you might like! --> http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/VeganANDVegetarian

It has one recipe with beans in it. "Red Bean Chipotle Burgers". I'm not sure if you'll like it, but I thought I'd share :)
  • Laufitness
    Laufitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Www.hurstbeans.com/recipes
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    At our grocery store...(meijer) in the bean aisle there is a can of wonderful bean mixture called...Southwestern bean salad...by READ. It has a toco flavoring and it wonderful in a burrito...plus low cal. I make chicken nachos with it...we all love it!
  • Bunnyboo82
    Bunnyboo82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No recipe to contribute, but i'm vegetarian and trader joes as awesome vegetarian cuban black beans in a can. you can make black bean soup out of them, add them to tomato soup, and use them in chile, and even use them in a salad :-)
  • MarcelaBella
    Options
    Also try adding nutritional yeast to things like air popped popcorn. It has a lot of protein, and it tastes yummy, AND it's vegan!
  • TAErvin
    TAErvin Posts: 8
    Options
    Now thats good cause you can put that on before you go to work or early in morning and for get about if for a fwe hours and it will be so good. Keep it turned on low...:smile:
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When we need a quick meal on a hot day, black beans (heavily rinsed, from a can) mixed with salsa (from a jar), fresh cilantro and served over brown rice.. I don't heat the beans..only the rice gets cooked. Quick, easy, high fiber, low fat and everyone (including my two kids--ages 4 and 8) eat them!!!
  • biminij99
    biminij99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love beans too! I prefer to cook dried beans but if you must buy in a can, you could add some okra and diced tomatoes (and corn too!) to kick it up a bit and give it a mexican taste.

Here is a way to quick soak the beans.

1) cover beans in a large pot and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes.
    2) remove from heat and let soak for 1 hour
    3) drain and rinse thoroughly.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hope you like this recipe. You can tweek up to your liking.

Black Bean Soup

Great Value - Black Beans Canned, 2 container (can be low sodium)
    Great Value - Diced Tomatoes 1 can
    Swanson - Chicken Broth- 100% Natural, 99% Fat Free, No Msg Added, 2 cups (can be veggie broth or just water)
    Spices - Ground Cumin, 1 tsp
    Fresh Produce - Garlic, Minced, 1 Clove
    Fresh Produce - Celery - Stalk (Raw), 3/4 cup Chopped
    Produce - Red Onion (Medium), 3/4 cup
    Raw - Jalepeno Peppers, 1 tsp or however how spicey u want it
    Spices - Garlic powder, 1 tbsp
    Red Pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste

simmer 3/4 of the beans with juice and half can of the diced tomatoes and use a stick wand hand blender to emulsify the beans and tomatoe to a soup. Once that is done add all the ingredients and simmer until celery is soft.