Cardio and strength training questions

Options
KrysKiss87
KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have some questions my workout routine. I've done some research, but there's so much conflicting information out there that I can't wrap my brain around it all. Usually I walk/run 3 miles a day to exercise. My main goal is to lose weight and eventually work more on toning. I'm aware that I needed to add in some strength training to my workout regimen so I've been doing a bodyweight circuit at the end of my workout 3 days a week (M, W, F) (Squats, inverted rows, pushups, Hip raises, supermans) My questions are as follows:

1. Run before or after my bodyweight circuit? Does it matter?
2. Should I alternate between my cardio and my strength training instead of doing it all on the same days?
3. If I continue my current routine is it still ok to run on the days I don't have my strength training or will that mess with muscle recovery?

I'm not afraid to go beast mode every day, but that would inevitably end in injury or me getting burned out. so Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    it really depends on your goals and how hard you are pushing yourself each workout or run. A lot of people will do their strength training before their cardio so they aren't tired when they hit the weights.

some people alternate cardio and strength days (thats what i do)

If you are pushing yourself hard , you should take recovery days, that doesnt mean you dont have to do anything. A lot of people have active recovery days when they are still doing stuff but not as hard.

• KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So walking on recovery days instead of running might be a good compromise.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If training for a race, cardio first strength second. Off not, I don't think it matters.

I personally offset my strength and cardio days. I feel I can then focus on each one individually without being tired.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Funny you should start this thread today. On Tuesday mornings I normally lift and then head to a cardio/training class. However, I overslept this morning, so I had to go to class first and then lift. My energy level was definitely lower for lifting. When I lift and then go to class, I don't feel nearly as fatigued heading into class.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I want to get stronger, so I usually lift before I do cardio. When I lift AFTER cardio, I'm a weak mess.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If I am doing cardio and strength on the same day ...I usually lift then do some cardio after. That way I am not tired when I am strength training
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes it depends on your goals and how you feel.
    I usually do cardio and then weights afterwards... I like to "get the cardio out of the way first".
    If you feel tired or fatigued just remember to rest.
    You can do it however you like.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I always do strength work before cardio if doing both strength & cardio on the same day. Doung cardio first just drains my energy not allowing me to maximize my strength work. If I'm including power work I prioritize that even before strength.