Food preparation (how long does chopped up salad etc stay fresh )

Options
I want to start food prepping for the week.
I see alot of people doing it and it helps them obviously as soon as they need to eat its there.
Going to the gym and that i hate coming home having to cook etc.
I mainly eat salads at the moment.
Consisting of chopped cumber, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped spring onion and shredded iceberg lettuce. How long do you reckon this would last in the fridge ??
Also what other meals can i prepare i know alot of people use sweetpotato and chicken.
Need some ideas really.

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I find a typical salad lasts 4 days, if you always keep the dressing separate.

Some easy recipes;

Chickpeas, roast sweet potato, parsley, baby spinach, cucumber, red onion, lemon juice

Brown lentils, rocket, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, diced red chilli, coriander (dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds)

Grated carrot, red cabbage, grated zucchinni, spring onions, tofu marinated in dressing (dressing: peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, rice malt syrup or other sweetener and water to thin it out)
  • kathrine90
    kathrine90 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes I don't normally have dressing on a salad to be fair.
    I'm going to make 5 lots of salad and put in fridge and then see how we go for the fifth day.
    They will be in air tight containers. As a stay at home mum its much easier as i can just grab it after i cooked little ones food.
  • rhapsodygal
    rhapsodygal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My salads usually last 5 to 6 days
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Keep the tomatoes separate, they will spoil the other vegetables. Are you looking for other meals to make ahead or just more salad ideas?
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I do bean and pasta salads, and plain veggie salads, all the time... Usually takes me 4 days to eat through them. Tuna and salmon salad, 2 days.
  • kathrine90
    kathrine90 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im looking for salad ideas but guess i wouldnt mind finding other meal ideas as well :) do you have any suggestions ?? thanks for all replies x
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Salads for me can last 5 days.
    But only if I put them in a zip lock baggie with a couple of paper towels in the fridge.
    Can't you fix a salad the night before?
    Just have all the ingredients ready?

I make a weekly menu.
    I then go buy the food.
    I buy frozen chicken breasts cooked, frozen veggies, and snacks like apples or pears.
    I look at my menu the night before and put things in the fridge to defrost.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Salad longevity tips: Tear your lettuce instead of cutting with a metal knife - prevents browning. I would prep and keep your veggies separate, especially the cukes and tomatoes like Melissa6771 said. Also make sure that there is a little extra room in the container, or put a little square of paper towel in there like JanetYellen said - all of that will control humidity so it doesn't get soggy/limp. I am very picky about my veggies, and doing this makes my salad last all week.
    Also are you getting enough protein and fat earlier in the day? If not I'd definitely add some of the chickpea/bean/tofu/meat that others have suggested.
    And no dressing? Go you! I don't use dressing either, and I get the strangest looks from people/waitstaff at restaurants...