FitBit and MFP and exercise

Options
If my exercise for the day is running or the elliptical, my fitbit registers steps. When I sync FB to MFP, it takes into consideration all my steps. Should I or should I NOT type in the cardio I did into MFP?

thanks!

Replies

• Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Which Fitbit do you have?
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It'll double count the exercise, both here and in Fitbit. Since Fitbit is pushing over your steps from that exercise, your getting calories burned there. If you then log the exercise, you're getting calories there as well. Also, logging the exercise will sync with Fitbit. So you'll get that twice too. They will be different numbers, especially if your Fitbit has HRM. The calories I get from a treadmill exercise on my Fitbit Charge HR has never been the same as what MFP shows (MFP is always less), But it'll still be, in effect, double counting to log it in both places.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Should I sync my Fitbit Charge HR with MFP?
  • sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Chiqui74 wrote: »
    Which Fitbit do you have?

I have One.

BeYouTiful94, that's what I was thinking also. The double dipping. Thanks!
  • DarqueDreamer
    DarqueDreamer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a good place to ask but I am having trouble choosing my activity level setting. I have a desk job in a hair salon but I stand up and sweep hair after every client for all 5 stylists. I do and put away 2-6 loads of laundry daily and I take out all the trash daily and am responsible for sweeping the floors daily and mopping once a week. On Saturdays I will start doing makeup for weddings instead of being in the salon too. Would this still be sedentary with the desk job or light activity since I am up and moving often?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It'll double count the exercise, both here and in Fitbit. Since Fitbit is pushing over your steps from that exercise, your getting calories burned there. If you then log the exercise, you're getting calories there as well. Also, logging the exercise will sync with Fitbit. So you'll get that twice too. They will be different numbers, especially if your Fitbit has HRM. The calories I get from a treadmill exercise on my Fitbit Charge HR has never been the same as what MFP shows (MFP is always less), But it'll still be, in effect, double counting to log it in both places.
    @BeYouTiful94 - Actually when you log exercise on MFP, the adjustment math takes it into account so there is no double counting.

MFP will ask for the start time and duration of your workout. It then sends the log to Fitbit. Fitbit takes that information and replaces what it thought you burned for that time period with what you logged on MFP.
    Video example of MFP exercise logged with 1 cal burn:

https://youtu.be/8duevx9y9TY

Your adjustment math on MFP changes too. MFP takes Fitbits calorie burn - MFP estimated burn (activity level + any logged exercise) = adjustment.

Example:
    MFP estimates before exercise calorie burn of 1800 calories. So no exercise logged would be:

Fitbit burn - 1800 = adjustment

Lets say I logged 300 calories, it would change to:
    Fitbit burn - 2100 (1800+300) = adjustment

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I would log all exercise with the Fitbit and all food with MFP.

No need to enter the exercise in MFP.

That means I don't get automatic status messages on my MFP wall about exercise so I post manually.

I trust the Fitbit numbers more than MFP so prefer to use that.