Reaching your goal

Options
First let me just start off by saying gaining weight isn't impossible. Start off with a short them goals that will later on reach your long them goal. One example is myself, I hit a Plateau in gaining weight so I did the only thing I could do and then was to EAT MORE! I don't mean fast food either. Just like anything in life you have to take the time and dedication your to do what you need to do. Get up earlier prepare your meals and do your research to find the foods that you like and that are heathy for you. So for Ive been able to put on 1.5 pounds a week " short term goal" and hoping to gain 20 pounds "long term goal". Keep pushing forward and continue to gain success!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First let me just start off by saying gaining weight isn't impossible. Start off with a short them goals that will later on reach your long them goal. One example is myself, I hit a Plateau in gaining weight so I did the only thing I could do and then was to EAT MORE! I don't mean fast food either. Just like anything in life you have to take the time and dedication your to do what you need to do. Get up earlier prepare your meals and do your research to find the foods that you like and that are heathy for you. So for Ive been able to put on 1.5 pounds a week " short term goal" and hoping to gain 20 pounds "long term goal". Keep pushing forward and continue to gain success!

I would be careful about gaining that much per week. Your body is limited to about 2 lb of muscle per month as a male, which means the remainder will be fat.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I would be careful about gaining that much per week. Your body is limited to about 2 lb of muscle per month as a male, which means the remainder will be fat.

And that's early on as a novice.. As you get more years of training under your belt, you gain less and less muscle..
    I.e. a skinny 17 year old can gain muscle very fast while eating at a caloric surplus of +500 or more calories, but a lifter with 3 years under his belt can only put on a few pounds of muscle in a whole year, even when bulking. (unless you start taking steroids, but that's unnatural progression)
  • psuLemon
    Options

And that's early on as a novice.. As you get more years of training under your belt, you gain less and less muscle..
    I.e. a skinny 17 year old can gain muscle very fast while eating at a caloric surplus of +500 or more calories, but a lifter with 3 years under his belt can only put on a few pounds of muscle in a whole year, even when bulking. (unless you start taking steroids, but that's unnatural progression)

Very solid point.
  • Luisguzmanjr_89
    Luisguzmanjr_89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Even so everyone's genetics are different and yes I was keeping it basic. What you do at the gym or any other supplements you take and other thing will have an effect on weight. Believe me gaining 1.5 a week and going to the gym 5 days a week and the program I'm doing isn't effecting my body in any negative way. If your having trouble achieving success maybe you should try hard and be a student in the life of fitness.
  • serenalynn96
    serenalynn96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How is things going for you? I am also trying to gain weight and not sure where to begin.
  • Luisguzmanjr_89
    Options
    It's a lot of work but it's been going very well.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Even so everyone's genetics are different and yes I was keeping it basic. What you do at the gym or any other supplements you take and other thing will have an effect on weight. Believe me gaining 1.5 a week and going to the gym 5 days a week and the program I'm doing isn't effecting my body in any negative way. If your having trouble achieving success maybe you should try hard and be a student in the life of fitness.

While I would agree that genetics are different, there generally aren't going to be huge swings with the amount of muscle being able to be produced.
  • Luisguzmanjr_89
    Options
    Yes but that will also depend on many different factors. You and I can both go to the gym but have different results .
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes but that will also depend on many different factors. You and I can both go to the gym but have different results .

I get that. There is a standard deviation of potential muscle growth. Factors such as how new you are to lifting, age, hormones (testosterone especially), training program and sex will come into play.

The below thread has a lot of links and discussions on the genetic potential for muscle growth.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10296981/how-much-muscle-can-be-added-in-1-year-for-an-untrained-noob#latest
  • psuLemon
    Options
    For the typical natural male, they typically gain 1/2 lb of muscle per week, women at 1/4 lb per week. Another thing to consider, when you bulk, your body fat % won't change as fast (especially if you start very lean), which is why you don't look overly different (i.e - most won't notice huge changes from 10-13%, but once you start going above that, the stomach will bulge more).

Not trying to discourage you, but help understand the limitations. If you feel 1.5lbs per week is appropriate for your situation, then I completely understand and wish you luck. I am just providing you some caution.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For the typical natural male, they typically gain 1/2 lb of muscle per week, women at 1/4 lb per week. Another thing to consider, when you bulk, your body fat % won't change as fast (especially if you start very lean), which is why you don't look overly different (i.e - most won't notice huge changes from 10-13%, but once you start going above that, the stomach will bulge more).

Not trying to discourage you, but help understand the limitations. If you feel 1.5lbs per week is appropriate for your situation, then I completely understand and wish you luck. I am just providing you some caution.

Yep. If only noob gains lasted forever... I'm currently on a long cut because I dream bulked (bulked non-stop, thinking I was replicating my results early on... Paying for that now. Got fat). Never again. On the bright side, lots of muscle keeps on appearing as I get closer to the low % BF