Opinions about muscle milk?

Options
ak415
ak415 Posts: 12 Member
I just bought and tried Cookies and creme muscle milk at my gym after my swim.. It tasted super sweet but was alright and I'm not super hungry like my usual post swim feelings. What are your thoughts about it ?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you need the extra protein, its a good way to go. but if i remember right it has more calories than i want in my protein powders.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not a fan.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink the muscle milk light that I can get a case of from Costco. It has less sugar then the others
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I occasionally drink the muscle milk light that I can get a case of from Costco. It has less sugar then the others

What are the others? Most whey supplements I've ever used have little sugar. I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate and it has a measly 1g.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What are the others? Most whey supplements I've ever used have little sugar. I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate and it has a measly 1g.

The other muscle milks. If you look at the normal muscle milk or some of the flavored muscle milks they have a ton of sugar.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The other muscle milks. If you look at the normal muscle milk or some of the flavored muscle milks they have a ton of sugar.

Low in protein (16g) for the calories (150) for the regular version, the light is 12g protein and 100 calories. It also has 2 and 1 gram of sugar respectively. More interesting to me is they use both fructose and sucralose. Most other proteins are in the 22-25g and 110-120 calorie range.

If you don''t mind the low protein, and high calorie count and like the taste, go for it.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    It's a good weight gainer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's aight. There are better options if you're looking for RTD's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Low quality protein with junk fillers. Stick with something with more protein and eat the rest of your calories.
  • jsidogen
    jsidogen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink it is when I run out of my tubs and I need a convenient fix. They do have the low fat one with a better macro profile. But yea, there are better ones.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in the past and while its tasty I don't think it's the best protein out there. I've switched to plant proteins and I think they're just as good. I love vega protein in unsweetened soy milk, tasty and fairly good calorie to protein ratio. Rather low in carbs as well but that's not a concern for me
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey, fitness folks. What if you have reasons other than getting more protein for drinking muscle milk?

I had one bad experience with anxiety and since then my mom has been texting me and won't quit talking about muscle milk because it contains so much potassium. She wants me to eat more potassium because it is suppose to lower blood pressure, calming the body down. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about it. I like the idea of getting more potassium and as a bonus getting more protein.

The daily recommend amount of potassium for adults is 4700mg. One 14oz serving of muscle milk contains 1050mg.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it in this case, or do other protein shakes have similar potassium amounts? If they do, I'd probably use one of those instead.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk tastes like kitten

momo_t90 wrote: »
    Hey, fitness folks. What if you have reasons other than getting more protein for drinking muscle milk?

I had one bad experience with anxiety and since then my mom has been texting me and won't quit talking about muscle milk because it contains so much potassium. She wants me to eat more potassium because it is suppose to lower blood pressure, calming the body down. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about it. I like the idea of getting more potassium and as a bonus getting more protein.

The daily recommend amount of potassium for adults is 4700mg. One 14oz serving of muscle milk contains 1050mg.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it in this case, or do other protein shakes have similar potassium amounts? If they do, I'd probably use one of those instead.

Have a V8. Or orange juice. Or a baked potato. There are many ways to get potassium that don't involve Muscle Milk
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Those foods don't have a good potassium to calorie ratio. I'd love something that's really high in potassium and low in calories. But it seems even muscle milk isn't as high in potassium at the MFP entry said.

I went to the store and compared protein shakes. Most of the powders were around 200-300mg of potassium for one scoop and somewhere around 150 cal. The pre-made shakes were 11oz, had around 350 cal, and nearly 500mg potassium. That's less than half of the potassium the MFP entry for 14oz of muscle milk showed.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    That was the first protein powder I bought, the taste is mediocre and if I remember right the protein:calorie ratio isn't all that great (also it's a bit more expensive).
    Optimum Nutrition is pretty good, in my opinion is better than muscle milk in every whey. Badum Tss.
  • litroy
    litroy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on ON gold standard, mocca and the flavor was pretty great. Ran out 28 servings later, went to Costco and got muscle milk. I noticed that the new muscle milk has updated formular , pretty much the same nutritional content as ON gold standard whey protein, which is great.

What is not so great is, muscle milk seems to give me more stomachs problems like diarrhea and gas. Probably due to lack of lactase enzyme and addition of some sugary substitutes. So I would recommend ON gold standard over muscle milk if price is not too different.