A skinny wife for a returning soldier...

glynnette
glynnette Posts: 11
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
I had curves when my husband and I met (about a size 10-12) but after having our daughter I stopped working out and eating right. It wasn't until I looked at pictures and saw myself that I realized how bad I really looked. In the summer of '06 I went from 209 to 182 and was ready to loose more. But of course something always happens. He came up on orders for a 15 month deployment to Iraq and I stopped taking care of myself. I gained 15lbs after he left. However I managed get down to 173 right before he came home in Dec. '07. Since he has been home I have managed to gain around 25lbs. Now we've been informed that he will be leaving sometime in March or April for his 3rd deployment. I want more than anything for him to come home to a skinnier wife. I just started working out this week and watching what I eat. I just have this huge fear that I am going to get discouraged or too depressed when the time comes for him to leave that I won't be able to keep this up.

I have always done it on my own. Hopefully using this site will help me keep motivated.

Replies

• I had curves when my husband and I met (about a size 10-12) but after having our daughter I stopped working out and eating right. It wasn't until I looked at pictures and saw myself that I realized how bad I really looked. In the summer of '06 I went from 209 to 182 and was ready to loose more. But of course something always happens. He came up on orders for a 15 month deployment to Iraq and I stopped taking care of myself. I gained 15lbs after he left. However I managed get down to 173 right before he came home in Dec. '07. Since he has been home I have managed to gain around 25lbs. Now we've been informed that he will be leaving sometime in March or April for his 3rd deployment. I want more than anything for him to come home to a skinnier wife. I just started working out this week and watching what I eat. I just have this huge fear that I am going to get discouraged or too depressed when the time comes for him to leave that I won't be able to keep this up.

I have always done it on my own. Hopefully using this site will help me keep motivated.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    I am sure you will do wonderful the people on here are great and very supportive
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Girl, you can DO this. Don't think of it as a "I want to lose 3000 lbs by the time he comes home!" Think of it in the day-to-day. Every day is a new day and we just have to take it day by day. Heck sometimes I have to take it minute by minute... Just remember that ever decision is a choice. (Do I buy potato chips or apples, etc.) They all add up and that is what really gets us to our goal. Set realistic goals, like I want to lose 2 lbs this week, or I want to work out 4 times this week, etc. If you take it step by step you CAN DO THIS!!! I promise!

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. --Robert Collier

Plus we'll all be right here if you start to slide!
  • Everyone is here to support you and make sure you make it through those hard times. As long as you come to this site regularly, we'll help you through it.:flowerforyou:
  • i hope your husband come home safe! you will do awesome here!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Oh! Kindred spirit!
    My fiance is currently deployed to Iraq and I started with the mentality that I wanted to be "hotter" when he came home. The thing I am learning is that my journey shouldn't be abour/for him. Cause the reality of it is, he loves me... no matter what size.
    I have had to really take a step back from, "OMG! I have to lose 50+ lbs before he comes home!" to a more reasonable approach. I've also had to accept that it's not just "Oh I wanna look good!" but there are tons of little things... I don't want my thighs to rub together, I don't want my arms to jiggle, etc.
    He isn't so much the reason why I am wanting to lose anymore (even though he was good motivation) but I am my reason, I want this for me....even if it takes me a long time and I don't lose 50lbs before he comes home.

You can do this... there are amazing people here who are very supportive and always happy to help.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    I just wanted to send you hugs! We're getting ready for our second deployment (I had actually gained weight after he came home).
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    I am so glad you wrote in. My husband is leaving at the end of the month for Iraq. We both decided to use this time to get healthier. My weight has always fluctuated a lot and I've never been a dieter. I honestly never really cared that much about it. But with the birth of our 3rd son I realized that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with them soon, especially if I kept gaining weight. So here I am. I'm doing it for my health, and for my family. The idea of us both working out and eating right while we're far apart makes me feel like we're still together in this. And I hope that taking care of ourselves will become a habit. Hopefully something we can stick to when he comes home.
    P.S. Some cute new clothes probably won't hurt either.
  • Well I was in the same boat on Christmas Day when my husband left and I also lost 40 before he came home on mid-tour but I look at it as making the time go by faster if you stick to a goal and routine. I was depressed for about a week and then was like I can't get off track from my goal and time was going by slower when I was just laying around depressed then when I picked myself up and started the exercise routine agin. Of course people will tell you do it for you and not him but I know what it feels like to want to do it for your husband after he returns home from a deployment. So do it for both of you! If you ever need a helping hand or someone that understands I'm here and in the same boat so blog away! And having that goal for when he returns should help push you everyday and when he does come home ya you'll spluge a little but once he's home a week or so get right back on the routine.
This discussion has been closed.