Help! Weight gain by birth control

Options
i know that it's a common side affect but when I got the implanon I gained about 10 pounds. I was wondering weather the weight gain will be an ongoing thing or weather it just happenes when you first get it. And how did you shake the weight if you did?

Replies

• Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Birth control itself doesn't generally cause weight gain.

Instead it might cause you to retain fluid, or have an increased appetite. Which obviously leads to weight gain if you eat more. But if you haven't increased your calories, you're probably just retaining water.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You are more than likely eating too much.
  • allieejoo
    allieejoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, its either an increased appetite or fluid. Before birth control, I ate regularly and didn't snack a lot. After I got on, I noticed an increased amount of cravings. I try to stay away from them but its hard sometimes.
  • lydiabuckley1112
    lydiabuckley1112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    allieejoo wrote: »
    Like the others said, its either an increased appetite or fluid. Before birth control, I ate regularly and didn't snack a lot. After I got on, I noticed an increased amount of cravings. I try to stay away from them but its hard sometimes.
    That's my problem I have no will power to stay away, especially when I'm not busy doing things I just find myself being hungry out of boredom
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    after I had my daughter in 2009 I went down to almost my pre baby weight I got on the depo shot at my 6 week appt and stayed on it for 9 months I gained almost 40lbs in that 9 months then I switched to Mirena and I couldn't lose anything for the life of me I got off that in Dec 2011 and I had lost 26lbs by Jan 2014 when I got pregnant with my Son after I had him I got on the Paragard which I loved! but it ended up getting out of place and causing pain now i'm on the pill since Oct 2015 and i've lost 14lbs so far
    I am the same way though if i'm not keeping busy i'm snacking out of pure boredom and it's really annoying how addicted to food I have realized I am. i'm short 5ft 0in so being 60ish pounds over weight is very noticeable on me
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    allieejoo wrote: »
    That's my problem I have no will power to stay away, especially when I'm not busy doing things I just find myself being hungry out of boredom

Find a hobby that requires your hands and brain. Do that when you start getting the munchies. I've found that if start with arts when I'm craving something, unless I'm actually hungry, it goes away rather quickly. And I get arts done.

Also, banish munchies from the house. If you want a cookie, you have to go down to the gas station (walk if it's close enough!) and buy a single cookie. Works great for me as I'm naturally lazy and this feeds into that. XD

If you keep telling yourself you have no willpower, you never will. But that's something only you can do for yourself! Set small goals within a bigger one, seeing many small successes can help reinforce good habits, which might help as well.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the implanon for a year and was puffy and swollen the whole year. After getting it removed I pee'd for 2 days straight and lost the 10 pounds of fluid within a week. I guess that's just how I react to progesterone. I had other side effects from it as well (but not increased appetite) that meant it was simply not worth it to me personally.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so different. I lost weight, between 40-50 pounds, on depo provera, and gained it back when I was off BC. Then I got the Mirena and frankly have been so full of energy since getting it I don't have time to sit and snack.

But that being said. Willpower. It's really truly the most important component of health. If I'd had willpower when I was off BC I know I wouldn't have regained anything.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not on birth control and I've noticed I'm about 2 lb heavier for a few days of the month. It catches me off guard and then I remember this happened last month. Hormones are weird.

Birth control can increase breast size and those weigh a lot, so there's that. I would say just keep at it and don't stress it too much. There's a limit to how much water you can gain and cravings or boredom can find other outlets.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This may seem like an odd question, but was the reason you started on the implanon because you were in a new relationship?

My doctor said it was very common for people in relationships to put on weight, for various reasons, one being that your hormone levels naturally change.

I had lots of not nice side effects with the implanon, but weight gain wasn't one.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

Total rubbish every time I have a new mirena coil my weightloss is effected and I stick to 1400 calories a day
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »

Total rubbish every time I have a new mirena coil my weightloss is effected and I stick to 1400 calories a day
    Your minera coil can't make you gain fat. Only food can do that. Fluid retention, yes. Fat, no, so if you're gaining more than just water, it's because you're eating too much. How do you measure your intake?
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When I first started taking oral contraceptives ... 7-8 years ago... I gained quickly about 4 kg (probably ate a bit more and there was some water weight) and also my cellulite got much worse :D After the initial gain I stayed at that +4 weight for a long while (was not trying to lose though).But now that I decided I wanted to lose some I got rid of those 4 and some more :)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Bwahahahaha!! You are hilarious :D
  • therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i know that it's a common side affect but when I got the implanon I gained about 10 pounds. I was wondering weather the weight gain will be an ongoing thing or weather it just happenes when you first get it. And how did you shake the weight if you did?

It causes some an increase in appetite. And it can cause hormones to go all over the place too.
  • KiraCharman
    KiraCharman Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but i see this as excuse!! I am on a lot of different medications and pretty much most of them make me gain weight, if you want to loose it and keep it down the only way is by working your butt off, you could take the easy way out and change drugs but then what does teach you? nothing.If i can lose weight having 9 heart ops anyone can!!!
  • size102b
    Options

Bwahahahaha!! You are hilarious :D

Explain why ?
    Here's my before after photos I lost 71lbs and when I had a new mirena the weightloss slowed right down and I stuck at it!
    0p2qb53vs66j.png

Evidence speaks for itself my doctor and contraception nurse told me a new contraceptive device does make you retain lots fluid in the first few months hence weightloss slows
    I speak from evidence & experience.

• therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but i see this as excuse!! I am on a lot of different medications and pretty much most of them make me gain weight, if you want to loose it and keep it down the only way is by working your butt off, you could take the easy way out and change drugs but then what does teach you? nothing.If i can lose weight having 9 heart ops anyone can!!!

Well done you....wow. hope you are better now !

Not everyone is the same, some are new to this too and will need to make adjustments.
  • size102b
    edited March 2016
    Options

I can't change 'drugs' or I'll bleed to death
    I lost my baby last year at 5 months pregnant after mirena coil I got sepsis from hemoraghing
    After I had 6 weeks hemoraghing and nearly died 11 blood transfusions in 3 months as soon as they placed a new mirena coil in I stopped bleeding !!! I was rushed into recuss it was that bad
    So no we can't all change contraception mines in or I'd need a hysterectomy which can result in major health problems when your under menopausal age.

One thing I wish with people that have no experience how can they say things they don't know only what they believe.
    I make no excuses I stuck to 1200-1400 calories a day
  • size102b
    edited March 2016
    Options
    b7dke8zo6as9.png
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Your minera coil can't make you gain fat. Only food can do that. Fluid retention, yes. Fat, no, so if you're gaining more than just water, it's because you're eating too much. How do you measure your intake?

Did I say it made you fat NO I said it effects weightloss due to fluid retention
    Obviously I stuck it out as you can see by my photo
    -71lbs in 11 months when I had a new coil my weightloss stalked for a few weeks
    So obviously I'm weighing & measuring everything or I'd not drop 6 dress sizes in less than a year

Why do people need to be horrible to others it's very sad and hurtful