Relationship Drama is Distracting

Options
I was doing so well logging my food and exercising, so motivated until my "friend" (he's been demoted) and I started having problems this weekend. Not to mention that our work schedules are totally opposite.

Am I the only person that gets stressed about relationship issues so much that it overwhelms me. I cant focus and find my strength to say no to the quick bad food and find my way to my Zumba class tonight.

Discouraged and can't focus..HELP! :frown:

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use my exercise time as a way to get away from all of that crap, forget about it. I leave it outside the gym door and if I feel so inclined I pick it back up on my way to the car. That escape, and release of tension, and flow of endorphins is my drive to do it.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Working opposite schedules can put a strain on your relationship, I know this first hand. I would also go work it out in the gym and leave it at the door.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. But the hardest part is getting there. Once you're there, it's unlikely you'll walk out :) Stay focused on you first, everything else is secondary.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. My husband and I separated last November and I went in a depressive spiral of eating...argh...I think I gained 10lbs or so and have just in the last month or so found my motivation to get in gear. I'm still upset about everything but I'm able to use my intense workouts as an outlet.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I let it get to me as well. Usually on those days I break out the mp3 and run some. Clear my mind and take it out on the ground!!
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. If I am stressed because of something it throws me off of my game...

I hope things turn around for you!
  • mizbuth
    mizbuth Posts: 4
    Options
    I went through a divorce a few years ago and lost weight during the process. I was six months pregnant so I didn't diet at all, but I did find that the stress caused me to actually eat healthier ( and I gave birth to my son weighing less than when I got pregnant! Yahoo!). I would suggest trying to use your relationship drama as a motivator instead of a distraction. Much easier said than done, I know, but I am sure you can do it. Plus working out tends to keep your mind off the person who is dragging you down!! Find a punching bag and go at it!! Best of luck in your journey and your relationship! :)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    im quite the opposite. when DH and i are arguing I cant eat, sleep or even think about anything but the argument. I hate it and it consumes me. So i relate relationship drama with skinny. Last time we had problems i lost 7 pounds.

Wish i had some words of wisdom. But I do know some "ME" time on a treadmill, elliptical or bike helps me get my thoughts together sometimes.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I just want to curl up on the couch with a bag of potato chips and ice cream. I try to make myself workout though because i know it will make me feel better, thank you endorphins, i just make sure i am watching something on tv or listening to music that will keep me distracted so i don't think
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Most people are in this category. I had to finally start telling myself that eatiing is not the answer. I have definitely progressed from eating a whole bag of minitures to eating just one bad meal. But at some point we all have to realize that we definitely want to be sexy just in case we have to drop them. ;-)

All jokes aside though. Working out is definitley a release of endorphins and it is the best. I teach Zumba so I am glad you are feeling that!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You are DEF. not the only one.

I am married and for me, when we have issues, I use my work-out time to release the stress... I put all my "anger-annoyance" into my work-outs... I find that I actually workout harder and feel better afterward. Try not to eat out of stress and being upset. Sure, it might sound good and taste even better at the time, but afterward when you log those numbers, you will only be more mad at yourself.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not the only one. A very good girlfriend of mine--who is my usual walking buddy--snapped at me this weekend for no reason. She was extremely ugly and hateful to me, and I've NOTHING to deserve that. As a matter of fact, I'm the only friend who has stuck by her over the years. She too has been demoted. I'm over it, over trying to help her (not with fitness, she's very healthy and active but is otherwise a disaster) and don't intend to call her or speak to her. I deserve better than that and have plenty of other good, respectful friends. It did leave me in a funk though. Couldn't get her hateful words out of my head. I know exactly how you feel! Hard not to emotionally eat after that.
  • sweetmeka238
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your advise, wishes and MOTIVATION! Although I have a headache I am definitely going to class tonight, I'm actually thinking about doing 2 classes now ;-).