Graduation in 3 months!

Options
I've had a crazy amount of events happen to me since the beginning of this year. I know I'm not alone here but; I'm an emotional eater. I would really like any kind of advice or support trying to get rid of my "emotional fat". My goal is to lose around 50-58 lbs by June, for graduation. I know it's an overwhelming goal, but it's really important to me. Ive let life's trials get in the way for too long. All suggests and help are welcome.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What are you graduating from ?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,836 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a downer, but your goal is not just overwhelming, it is unrealistic. By having such a goal (50-85 pounds in 3 months), you set yourself up for failure. 2 pounds per week is a steep challenge although if this is your first crack at weight loss, you may be able to lose a little more. The unrealistic goal you've set for yourself may lead you to unhealthy practices or at least leave you feeling defeated. Eat healthy, but less. Move more, but don't be overzealous. Give yourself a year to lose those pounds, and you'll be successful in this and have that diploma, too. Good luck! :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't set yourself up for failure by setting an impossible time frame There's 77 days until June 1. To lose 50lbs in that time, you'd have to eat 2272 calories per day LESS than you need to maintain your weight. Assuming an average young woman needs around 2000-2500 calories per day, you'd have to eat nothing. Won't happen. You'll die first.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    OP, you called it an overwhelming goal yourself. Please don't overwhelm yourself. Plan on losing the weight at a healthy rate. You'll be smaller by graduation and on your way to your GW and to a better lifestyle in general. I think that in itself is a cause for celebration.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this unreasonable goal and the emotional eating is just due to immaturity and not serious issues.

However, I would still suggest speaking to a counsellor or doctor about what you've said here.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If you're an emotional eater, setting unrealistic goals is only going to be a death spiral for confidence and your health and promotes yo-yoing.

Even if you've got loads to lose, posting a big number is fine as a LONG term goal.

I understand that you may want his huge finite number by a date to feel that sense of control or accomplishment that mentally may undo some of the troubles you sound like you have gone through but this goal Won't help. And weigh loss is never linear. It's annoying people saying it over and over again but it's true! We've all been there where the first couple of weeks you post huge numbers, then after that it's 1 lb here, +1lb there, ~3lbs here etc.

Honestly, do a more realistic goal. Setting yourself up for failure is only going to do more damage in many ways x
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Not going to happen.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It is an overwhelming goal, because it isn't realistic to happen in 2.5 months. You can lose 10-20 in that time.
  • Dreven1989
    Dreven1989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a bored eater. I would eat because I was bored and for no other reasons. I couldn't effectively lose weight until I overcame that crutch. I would recommend trying to get around that pitfall. Setting yourself a realistic goal, want to be ambitious? Good for you, but as you are an emotional eater as you say if you don't lose as much as you wanted then you might trigger your pitfall.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started last June and I've not even lost 50 lbs so far. Unless you are starting out morbidly obese, it's not gonna work.

Why go on fast dieting splurges anyway? Why not make a lifestyle change that is sustainable for you in the long run, and will help you keep off those 50+ lbs in the future?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Why not try to lose 10 lbs by graduation? Then you will be 10 lbs lighter. If you aim for 50 and get hung up for a week or two and don't make it, and suffer from emotional eating, you are likely to give up.

Make small changes to start with, start with a small deficit. I still allow myself treats and fast food. I tell myself I don't "need" to eat cookies today because I know I'll be eating them Saturday. That sort of thing has helped me. I use activity, like walking, to get past the moments where I feel down and would have eaten before.