Has anyone here tried Rosetta Stone???

Options
i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
After nearly FIVE months of nervously waiting, I was accepted to my schools study abroad program in Japan for ONE year!!! :love: I studied abroad for 6 months in high school (in South America), but I've never been to Asia or Europe! :bigsmile:

I worked my butt the last two semesters raising my grades (I even got two A+, and I suck at school :laugh: ), working to save some money, being an officer of one of my school Business clubs, and being an active member of my greek organization. :sick: :glasses:

I'm so happy (except thinking of the debt I'll have to go into)! :laugh:

I have wanted this for years...!! It has been my dream...I'm so in shock...but I don't speak Japanese. :indifferent:

I've heard a lot of great things about Rosetta Stone, and I really need to learn Japanese lol Has anyone tried this, or is there another program you recommend? Thank you so much!!! Yay! :drinker:

Replies

• cojenkinshcsg
    cojenkinshcsg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought it for my 15 year old son for christmas he has used it everyday since and is doing much better in his spanish language class he now wants french
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    I have Rosetta Stone For Russian because that's what my husband and his family and friends speak. It has done wonders for me! :) Worth every penny! My husband and family love that I can understand and speak with them during conversations.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did it with French (for business purposes) and really liked it. It is a "different way" of thinking/learning though. Don't expect it to be like a textbook or class! I would DEFINITELY recommend it, but Japanese is said to be a difficult language (because it is obviously not Latin-based), so make sure to put in your time.

congratulations on being accepted to the study abroad and good luck.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I use did it last year for Spanish before i went away on a trip. it is great you few pics and read the word and they pronounce it for you you repeat them. and you also get to guess the words you have already been taught. It works i didnt continue with it but i believe it is easy to learn a new language a lot quicker with this program. I want to get it for french next.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I bought the 5 series pack for Spanish, and it is fantastic. Unfortunetly, I don't have the amount of time I would like to dedicate to it, but I am able to read things in Spanish, understand basic conversations and write/type, and it's only been a few months.

I am going to take a class for beginnger's Arabic soon, and I am going to compare my comprehension in Rosetta Stone to the class and see which I like better.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. Does anyone know how well Rosetta Stone would work for an asian language, or have suggestions for asian languages (Japanese)?

:smile:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. Does anyone know how well Rosetta Stone would work for an asian language, or have suggestions for asian languages (Japanese)?

Rosetta stone offers a trial version.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    MY NIECE KNOW IT WELL SHE WAS IN JAPAN FOR 3 MONTHS LAST YEAR TO STUDY AND JUST LEFT THIS MORNING TO OKINWYA( I DONT THINK THATS RIGHT) ISHIGOKI..ANYWAY IT SOOOOO PRETTY THERE WHAT PART ARE YOU STAYING IN ?
  • aprendoespañol
    Options
    Wow...cool but pretty old topic to post any comment...here i am trying to learn spanish and using rosetta stone.
    Wasn't regular but now i have finally made up my mind and would be using it minimum for 1year and después probablamente me voy a usar Tell me more.....dejame verlo y después te voy a decirlo. :P
  • aprendoespañol
    Options
    Any one more thing, i couldn't stop wondering that how could you learn 3-4languages and become fluent in one go...
    seems impossible to me....lol@them who all are learning 3-4different softwares to learn different languages.
    every language needs complete devotion and time of yours and afterwards you can expect some fruitful results.
    it took almost 12years to learn english(was born here in new delhi-india) and i am still learning it.(But best is i can think in this language and i want my spanish should be something similar as this.)
    and i know that instant immersion would definitely polish my english 4 or 5times more than what i know right now.
    I know my english is not as perfect as a native english speaker but good enough to make sense and grammatically correct as well.(Pero no tengo buen vocabulario conmigo :P)
    One piece of advice "whatever you all are learning just stick to it and in return you will definitely get results sooner or later but you'll be rewarded because sin no dedicacion 'nadie puede aprender nada" sólo necesitas una idioma cuando tú estás aprendiendo algo.

buena suerte

A proud user of Rosetta stone(Latin american lvl1-5 and tell me more7)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

A group of friends went over there and their primary language is Spanish. They tried to learn some japanese before their trip, and when they got there, most of them understood Spanish already so there wasn't really a communication issue. I need to take Spanish.