shape wear and wraps?

Options
I was wondering if I wear shape wear or wrap my stomach and thighs a Lil tight for hours a day...would that help my shape.(like flatter stomach and thinner thighs?) Like waist training. I do eat calorie deficit and exercise.

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No. It will only make your wallet leaner.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but I think you should concentrate on your exercise and diet. The changes will come! You will start to notice clothes feeling looser :smiley:
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    It's not going to help, except make your figure look different in your clothes.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Nope. Unfortunately all that does is displace water in your body...and it's not healthy either. Those areas may appear thinner during and right after wrapping, but it won't last in the long run.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You're better off doing core workouts to strengthen the muscles and hold everything in naturally rather than relying on a piece of fabric to do it for you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Short term for a certain dress or event? Go for it. Don't expect permanent results though.
  • MegaScorpion
    MegaScorpion Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There is always a risk of cutting off blood circulation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Those things are so uncomfortable, I don't understand why anyone would bother with them just to look one inch thinner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it will not help other than when you are actually wearing it. I think the wraps are just water loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They're good for smoothing out lumps under your clothes to help you look less dumpy. They don't change the shape of your body or make you slimmer, though.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Wraps seem to dehydrate the area that was wrapped temporarily (like a few hours). I've done them before some events years ago when I was young and gullible. It's so very temporary (we're talking a couple of hours), and the process is horribly uncomfortable (and potentially dangerous - I passed out during one) that I don't think they're worth it. Shape wear will have a similar affect as a wrap appearance wise, squeezing everything in and smoothing it out, but I feel that it's also uncomfortable, especially if you're going to an event where you're expected to eat and drink. Personally, I wouldn't put myself through that torture again but I'm almost 40 and my appearance isn't a huge focus for me anymore as I would rather be healthy and comfortable. If you have the drive, focus on a healthy diet and a good exercise program and you won't have to look for temporary "quick fixes". Good luck!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Wraps will do nothing for you at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    If it did, then women who wear clothes too small for themselves (you've seen it) should get skinnier. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Temporarily, yes. If you have an event where you're wearing a special outfit and want to smooth yourself out, go for it. As soon as you take those garments off, the slimming effect is gone.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Shapewear is a great way to smooth out lumps so you look better in an outfit. As soon it comes off, everything goes back to where it naturally is. I speak from personal experience as a long time Spanx wearer - if it actually helped my shape permanently, I wouldn't have that pesky left hip fat lump and I probably wouldn't be on MFP.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Smokink wrote: »
    I was wondering if I wear shape wear or wrap my stomach and thighs a Lil tight for hours a day...would that help my shape.(like flatter stomach and thinner thighs?) Like waist training. I do eat calorie deficit and exercise.
    Unfortunately, no. I used to wear a lot of shapewear in my 20s... everything springs back to the original size after the shapewear is removed, and wearing shapewear for long periods of time feels very uncomfortable on the skin.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Short term for a certain dress or event? Go for it. Don't expect permanent results though.
    AMEN

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I find shapewear pushes the fat up and makes my waist thicker!
  • Smokink
    Smokink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply. Looks to me like its a waste of time then lol :neutral: